Search

Waikiki Trolley pros & cons

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ws8n
If you have JCB card, it is free on the Pink Trolley
I don't have a JCB card, but they sell 3000 yen prepaid cards with the JCB logo on them for 3300 yen. Anyone know if the trolley driver would accept that?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
So is the bus still the move I should do when staying in Honolulu for 5 days?? cost is $35x2 total of $70

I see I can visit the USS Arizona, Diamond Head Crater. North Shore and a bunch of other places. I'll be staying at HHV and it seems like there is a stop

http://www.thebus.org/pop/Visitor_WaikikiGuide.pdf
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium
From HHV to USS Arizona, walk across Kalia Road and take route 20 or 42.

To Diamond Head Crater, from the front of hotel, take router 23. Or take any bus to Kuhio Avenue and transfer to route 2.

To North Shore, from across Kalia Road, take any bus to Ala Moana Center, then transfer to Route 55.

You can also download DaBus app, http://www1.honolulu.gov/mobile/, to check where buses are in real time.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
I don't have a JCB card, but they sell 3000 yen prepaid cards with the JCB logo on them for 3300 yen. Anyone know if the trolley driver would accept that?
FWIW, this worked well. We got over $20 worth of free rides on the Pink Line just by showing the JCB Prepaid Card.

Now I just have to find a way of actually using this credit...
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
FWIW, this worked well. We got over $20 worth of free rides on the Pink Line just by showing the JCB Prepaid Card.

IIRC, JCB works wherever Discover is accepted, and vice versa. And they issue a few cards in the US:
https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers/

To correct a post above, JCB stands for Japan Credit Bureau, not Japan Central Bank.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joejones
IIRC, JCB works wherever Discover is accepted, and vice versa. And they issue a few cards in the US:
https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers/

To correct a post above, JCB stands for Japan Credit Bureau, not Japan Central Bank.
Prepaid cards in Japan are extremely limited. It doesn't work like a normal credit card. I will probably have to use it to make an online purchase of some sort.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Thanks for the tip
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

Where did you get the prepaid card?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by linsj
Where did you get the prepaid card?
Any Lawson convenience store in Japan should have it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.