Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Good entertainment AND a good dinner in Waikiki/Honolulu?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

We're frequent visitors to Maui & the B.I. but have only been to Oahu twice. While there we've enjoyed a good meal AND good entertainment at Chai's Island Bistro. Are there any other good restaurants in Waikiki or Honolulu that offer both on a regular basis? I'm talking about well know Hawaiian entertainers (Brother's Cazimero, Sista Robi, Danny Couch, Makaha Sons, Jake S., etc, etc). Or is Chai's unique in this venue?

I know there is a master/consolidated thread on dining on Oahu but this, I believe, doesn't belong there. I'm looking for entertainment AND good dining.

Last edited by philemer; Jul 10, 2010 at 10:39 pm
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The only other place I can think of that has good dining and entertainment would be Roy's in Hawaii Kai. The entertainment is on the terrace in the evening and you'd have to eat out there.

Otherwise, Chai's may be your best bet. There's Duke's in Waikiki, which does have good entertainment, but the food is not all that great.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:57 am

Not what you asked for, but this might be worth your going to. One of the oldest (or maybe the only) Tiki bars in Hawaii is La Mariana. A blind piano player has been there for decades. You can turn back the clock 50 years if you have a car or use a taxi. When we were there, there were two blind piano players who also sang and played the ukulele. We had a great time. We found the food good and especially enjoyed the pupus. The yelp reviews give the good, the bad and the ugly. We agree with the good. Aloha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kd5XhnotP0&NR=1

http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-mariana-s...-club-honolulu
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
The only other place I can think of that has good dining and entertainment would be Roy's in Hawaii Kai. The entertainment is on the terrace in the evening and you'd have to eat out there.

Otherwise, Chai's may be your best bet. There's Duke's in Waikiki, which does have good entertainment, but the food is not all that great.
We do like Roy's & Duke's. Will check them out.

Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Not what you asked for, but this might be worth your going to. One of the oldest (or maybe the only) Tiki bars in Hawaii is La Mariana. A blind piano player has been there for decades. You can turn back the clock 50 years if you have a car or use a taxi. When we were there, there were two blind piano players who also sang and played the ukulele. We had a great time. We found the food good and especially enjoyed the pupus. The yelp reviews give the good, the bad and the ugly. We agree with the good. Aloha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kd5XhnotP0&NR=1

http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-mariana-s...-club-honolulu
Will definitely check out this place.

Thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:15 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
http://www.halekulani.com/dining/house_without_a_key/
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Mahalo. According to their site they only serve breakfast, lunch, drinks + pupus in the bar. The pupu/dinner menu would probably be sufficient however.

Last edited by philemer; Jul 14, 2010 at 10:32 am
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:04 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
They do have a dinner menu; here it is:

http://www.halekulani.com/i/download...inner_Menu.pdf

If you want a slightly more "hip" vibe, you can also try Tiki's.

http://www.tikisgrill.com/index.php?id=1
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
They do have a dinner menu; here it is:

http://www.halekulani.com/i/download...inner_Menu.pdf

If you want a slightly more "hip" vibe, you can also try Tiki's.

http://www.tikisgrill.com/index.php?id=1
Mahalo, sir. Tiki's looks pretty nice, especially the happy hour specials.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
I wanted to love this place and it sounded just right, but it was not great the evening I went. Nice views, but the singer was so off key he made my teeth hurt and a table of drunk people from Ohio kept requesting songs like "sitting on the dock of the bay" and "can you play some Stones" and so that was the music we were getting. Food looked only OK. I had a car but I think it would be a pricey cab ride and I don't know how one would get back. Unfortunately, this place is in Ohau Revealed so whatever local charm there may have been has probably now been downed out by tourists who don't know how not to act like yokels.
Old May 16, 2011, 4:21 pm

Sorry to hear you hit a bad night. In three visits, our luck is holding out. PS, we were not the drunks from Ohio.
Old May 24, 2011, 4:48 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
Definitely Chai's! If Nathan Aweau is still playing, try to see him. He's wonderful! The food is good too.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
For guaranteed good food and a good time..

I would go to Roy's as well.

A safe bet if you're looking for one..
Old May 29, 2011, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

+1 to the Roy's suggestion. We went there in Kauai, and the food was amazing.

sorry for the low quality of the photos. I did not have my DSLR at dinner
Old May 29, 2011, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

I like Roy's too but this thread is about a good meal AND good entertainment. Does Roy's have musical entertainment?
Old May 29, 2011, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
I like Roy's too but this thread is about a good meal AND good entertainment. Does Roy's have musical entertainment?
I would just forgo the entertainment..

The food looks scrumptuous.. your company would become the entertainment.. and good conversation

Or do the entertainment part after the meal.. break it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.