Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two short days on Maui, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2010, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Two short days on Maui, what to do?

On a last minute whim I'm off to Maui arriving Saturday afternoon and leaving Monday afternoon. I'll have a rental car and will be staying at the Marriott Resort. Any recommendations on what to do? Light hiking would be fun but nothing to serious, shopping isn't as important. I've never been snorkeling nor have any equipment for it, is there some place people would highly recommend that's relatively easily accessible? Anything else I should consider not missing?

I'm sure I'll be back at some point in time for a longer trip so no rush in doing it all in one trip.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'd go for the Molokini snorkeling trip. Normally I'd recommend the shorter boat ride from Makena, but since you're staying in West Maui, I'd go with one of the trips that leaves from Maalaea Harbor. Look for a coupon when you get there. Definitely take the early morning trip, not the cheaper afternoon one. The latter usually involves choppy water, which can easily ruin the whole experience.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: ECExec, SPGTitanium,, UAPlat
Why only a couple days? Maui deserves more time. That being said,

Maui is composed of two half‑islands (east and west)

Pick up brochures, coupon books, maps at airport and/or rental car company.

Sunsets!

Snorkel outside the Sheraton (we snorkel just steps away from the Westin Ka'anapali) . . . All beaches in Hawaii are public. You can, and should, try out several beaches while you are on Maui. Go to several beaches, each one is different and each beach is beautiful. Snorkeling in West Maui is great, save your money on trips which usually take multiple hours or all day. You will see Turtles while snorkeling near Black Rock at the Sheraton. Daily rentals available Snorkel Bobs or Maui Dive near Safeway in Lahaina (coupons at airport)

Lahaina Visitors Center, in the old courthouse behind the Banyan Tree in Lahaina. It’s open every day 9-5. Phone 667-9193 The Banyan tree is really cool, roots are in the air. This is on Front street along with multiple stores. Take the self-guided walking tour, it's free! Pick up a map at the Visitors Center.

"Upcountry" is the part of Maui on the valley side of Haleakala. It includes a few small towns (Makawao, one of our favorites, a small paniolo (Hawaiian cowboy) town with several shops, and small art galleries highlighting local artists. See glass blowing 10:30-4:00 most days at Hot Island Glass at 3620 Baldwin Avenue (call 572-4527 to confirm). You can eat at Casanova's Italian Restaurant (572-0220) or the Makawao Steak House (572-8711). A MUST. . . T. Komoda Store & Bakery, 3674 Baldwin Avenue, Makawao, HI 96768 (808) 572-7261, call ahead, they are only open certain days. They have donuts on a stick, cream puffs and authentic Hawaiian bread. It takes about an hour to drive to Upcountry from Ka'anapali.

Lavender farm, http://www.aliikulalavender.com/default.aspx. We make it up to the farm every trip. We take home travel size lavender products for all our "hawaii" gifts.

Road to Hana (again, it will take all day, I would save this trip for a longer stay on the island)

Haleakala Crater, go early and see the sunrise, if you don't make it, go for the sunset. (it is REALLY cool so take a jacket or blanket)

The best food in Upcountry is at the Haliimaile General Store (572-2666). It’s open for both lunch and dinner weekdays, but only for dinner on weekends.

You can get a free map of Maui (and big informative color booklet) before you go, by ordering the Maui Vacation Planner from the Maui Visitors Bureau at 1-800-525-MAUI or 1-808-244-3530 or on their web site at www.visitmaui.com.

Have I overwhelmed you? You will have a blast, enjoy every minute, you can sleep when you get home!

Nancy
Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: HA AK CO Silver Elite
What did you do?

I was going to say dinner at the Beach one night, Molikini Crater snorkeling w/ snuba add on. So what did you wind up doing.

I leave for islands of Hawaii and Oahu 6/4 for a little longer than 2 day trip. But even a quick trip to Maui is better than most quick trips.

Aloha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.