Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Need help planning for Hawaii 9 nights (Aug 3-12)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help planning for Hawaii 9 nights (Aug 3-12)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by hoantvn
Could you suggest us more things to do in TBI, besides the volcanoes, Maunea Kea and the green/black sand beach? That takes about 3 days to do it, so what else for the 3-4 days left?

Should we drive from KOA to Hilo and then discover the volcanoes next day and then come back? or should we do it in one day? Or maybe should we stay in Hilo and take the fight to HNL from ITO? Which one will be the best?
There are three ways to get between Kona and Hilo - Saddle Road (between the mountains - this is the way you would take if you are going to visit Mauna Kea along the way), South Point, and the Hamakua Coast. The Hamakua Coast has waterfalls and botanical gardens and lots of little towns and Waipio Valley, and is generally lush and green, so there are some tourism opportunities along there.

Hilo has a famous farmer's market on Wednesday and Saturday downtown, also some museums like the Tsunami Museum and the 'Imiloa Astronomy Center, which combines astronomy and Hawaiian culture in a museum and planetarium. A nice Japanese water garden (Lili'uokalani Gardens) and Ken's House of Pancakes is near that. Various beaches throughout town, "Richardson's" at the end of the road is a popular snorkeling spot. Oh, also the Panaewa Rainforest zoo - only US zoo located IN rainforest, features rainforest species from around the world. And if you know the Mauna Loa brand of macadamia nuts, their plant and exhibits and "factory store" are south of Hilo toward Volcano.

That's what comes to mind off the top of my head...
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
East side of the Big Island

Another couple of spots to check out while on the East side of the BIg Island are the Hawaiian Vanilla company which give tours and host Luncheons
http://www.hawaiianvanilla.com/default.aspx
Also Big Island Candies located in Hilto town is a great stop to pick -up some wonderful treats to bring home.
http://www.bigislandcandies.com/
Old Jun 28, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
[QUOTE=hoantvn;14163552]Could you suggest us more things to do in TBI, besides the volcanoes, Maunea Kea and the green/black sand beach? That takes about 3 days to do it, so what else for the 3-4 days left?

Should we drive from KOA to Hilo and then discover the volcanoes next day and then come back? or should we do it in one day? Or maybe should we stay in Hilo and take the fight to HNL from ITO? Which one will be the best?

Is snorkeling in TBI more beautiful than Oahu?QUOTE]

Aloha - So glad you're coming to the Big Island for several days. You didn't mention who you're traveling with, so I'm going to assume it's just two adults and make my recommendations based on that.

Aside from the items you mentioned, I would encourage you to visit several of the local waterfalls, take a trip with an outfitter into Waipi'o Valley (ATV or Horseback Riding), and spend some time on the beaches! If you fly into KOA or ITO you can do day trips from either side of the island, although some will be long days.

I like to get an early start in the morning, drive from Kona down to Punalu'u Black Sand Beach (picking up some Kona coffee and malasadas for breakfast on the way), spend an hour or so at the beach and then head to Volcano. Unfortunately, Volcano House (restaurant/hotel in the park) is closed right now, so you'll need to take lunch with you or eat in the town of Volcano. You can then circle east through Hilo and take the saddle road back to Kona. It's a long day (especially if you plan on spending 4+ hours at the park) but can easily be done. If you live in the mountains you won't have any problem driving the saddle road's curves. If you choose to do this in one day you won't get to see all Hilo has to offer, so your other option is to do the volcano as a down/back trip and then do Hilo and its waterfalls/sights on a seperate day trip.

The cost of picking up your car in Kona and returning in Hilo might be too much for you, so check on that before you make up your mind about flights.

I have been snorkeling in Hanauma Bay on Oahu and here in Kealakekua Bay and I think it's better here. Hanauma Bay on Oahu is easily accessible (drive up to bay, pay fee, go snorkeling) but there are TONS of people on the beach. You can take your own gear or rent some, but you will frequently be next to others and, on certain days, the wind will decrease visibility. There are lots of fish, but the reef is starting to die. It's a good option if you're looking for something to do on Oahu and I think you'll enjoy yourself. That being said, Kealakekua Bay on TBI is probably the best snorkeling in the state. Beautiful water, great reef, not too crowded, etc. You'll need to go with a licensed outfitter on a snorkeling excursion, meaning you'll pay about $75 pp for the boat ride, snorkeling gear, snacks - but it's worth it. You can only access the bay via a license boat or via a VERY STEEP 1.5 mile hike. DON'T rent a kayak from someone on the other side of the bay who tells you that you can take it to the bay and snorkel on your own - this is illegal and the state will ticket you and force you to leave. They are seriously cracking down right now on those who rent the kayaks and those who moor their boats in the bay without a permit.

PM me if you have any other questions or need specific details on a particular place/question.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ukalady
To the OP: I had too long of an entry to include here--check your private messages.
Thank you a lot! It saves me a lot of time on searching

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.