Wiki Posts
Search

Planning a trip to Hawaii in Dec 2010 -- Please help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Planning a trip to Hawaii in Dec 2010 -- Please help

So far, I have booked the airfare from ELP-DFW-HNL-DFW-ELP from Dec 15-21st, 2010.

I plan on staying at the Ritz Carlton, Kapalua in Maui.

How do I go about the following:

1) Getting from HNL to West Maui Kapalua Airpot?
2) Sightseeing in Maui

Since I will be with the family (5yr old), I am really not looking to be island hopping everyday. This is my ONE vacation of the year and I plan on resting and relaxing.

Would it be possible to visit Kīlauea for ONE day and be back the same day? This would be the most interesting for me.

Thank for all the help !!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Visiting Kīlauea in one day from Maui would be tough. There might be some direct flights from OGG to KOA but the drive to the Volcano NP is 2-3 hours. Flying to Hilo (ITO) would make for a shorter drive, but then you'd have to connect in HNL, so you wouldn't gain anything time-wise.

If you really want to see the volcano (it is awesome, btw) then I'd fly to ITO right from HNL before going to Maui. Then spend a night at a B&B in the park, and then get to Maui the next day.

But if you really just want to relax, I'd skip it. Take a drive up Haleakala on Maui one day if you want to see a volcanic landscape (also awesome).
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: lots of little things
1) Islandair.com to fly from HNL-JHM (West Maui/Kapalua). I think they're the only scheduled service. Plus AA should probably have an interline baggage agreement with them.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:13 pm

Inter Island Flight

The only way to get from HNL from Maui is an inter island flight. You can look at Hawaiian, GO, or Island Air. I believe all have flights into West Maui Airport.

If you are just going to Maui from the mainland (and not staying over in Honolulu for a few days) the very best way to do it is to fly into OGG airport on Maui from the US Mainland.

Many airlines have direct flights into Maui from their US hub city. American has directs flights from Chicago or Dallas and Delta has directs from Atlanta and United has several direct flights into OGG from Chicago, LA, San Fran, San Diego.

Most of these flights cost the same as flying into HNL. So you will eliminate the cost of buying inter island air line tickets...which can add significant costs to your trip as round trip tickets between HNL and Maui can run several hundred dollars. In addition to the cost. You will lose many precious vacation hours waiting at airports.

With respect to Maui, I noted that you booked the Ritz Carlton. I have stayed there and must warn you that while the hotel is nice the weather in Kapalua in December will be very cold, rainy, and extremely windy. I have been there in June and still been cold and had to wear a sweat shirt by the pool. Also, there is no beach close to the Ritz.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you move to a sunnier location with less wind and rain.

If you want 5 star luxury go to the Four Seasons in Wailea. It will be sunny, warm (maybe 10 to 15 degrees), and a Fantastic Beach. I would also recommend the Fairmont and the Grand Wailea.

If you were going in the middle of Summer then I might "risk" Kapalua. However, in December I must tell you to steer clear of this property...unless you are not looking for sunshine, warm and dry weather, and a great beach.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Where would you recommend in DEC?

I would like sunny, warm and the ability to swim in the ocean. I can change my hotel preferance if needed.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by anaggie
Where would you recommend in DEC?

I would like sunny, warm and the ability to swim in the ocean. I can change my hotel preferance if needed.
We have gone to Maui for 15 years in mid Dec. Agree that Kapalua can be cool and windy. We normally stay in Kaanapali. (Weston, Sheraton Black Rock, Westin KOR Villas. Hyatt is very nice.) Never had any weather issues. Why not fly into Kahului (ogg) and rent a car?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:37 am

Anaggie, as a precursor, we have never stayed in Kapalua. That said, we have stayed in Kaananapli and Wailea area's on Maui. Mauifan states that staying up in Kapalua during December will be "very cold, rainy and extremely windy". While I am sure that the "very cold" is a stretch (hey, if one is expecting 80 to 85 degrees and it turns out to be 70 degrees, then yes that is very cold...haha) the rainy and windy I will concur with. This is not from personal experience, it is from watching the PGA golf tours first tournament of the year. The tournament is held in Kapalua the first week in Jauary of every year.

As for Mauifans suggestion of Wailea, I agree 100%. We have stayed at the Grand Wailea and it was nice. It is a large resort when compared to the Four Seasons next door and slightly larger than the Fairmont Kea Lani down the beach. We walked around the Four Seasons along with the Fairmonts Kea Lani. All 3 of these resorts has it's own appeal. It all depends on what you want. With that said, they do have several things in common: Warm and sunny weather, great beaches and luxury. As for pricing, I am sure that they are in the ball park with the Ritz. As for Kaanapali, we have stayed at the Sheraton and the Marriott (pre and post timeshare). Both are nice. Both areas have their advantages.

As for getting from HNL to Maui, if you choose to stay in Waliea, you should fly into OGG. This is the main airport for Maui and Hawaiin airlines has alot of flights everyday from HNL. I would assume that you are flying on AA. If Maui is your final destination, then I would try to change my tickets to fly non stop from DFW to OGG as others have suggested. As mentioned, you will cut out HNL all together. In addition, the DFW-OGG flight is also on a 767-300.

As for visiting the Big Island, unless you can get a non stop from OGG to Hilo (ITO) then as mentioned, you will have to fly thru HNL, which will add time to your day. In the past, HA has had non stops from OGG to ITO. From time to time I do see those flights pop up. If you decide to do this, take the first available flight out of OGG. On the flight out of ITO, do not take the last flight. Take a flight that is one or two before the last flight. This way, if they cancel your flight there is still one or two available.

P.S. Just looked on Hawaiian for a travel date to the Big Island for 12/16. There is a morning non stop out of OGG to ITO. It departs OGG at 9:05 a.m. and arrives ITO at 9:41 a.m. On the return, your out of luck. Other than a non stop which departs just after 8:00 a.m., all flights go thru HNL. There are 3 flights at the end of the day. I would suggest either the 5:25 p.m. departure (arrives OGG @ 7:32 p..m.) or the 6:36 p.m. departure (arrives OGG @ 8:47 p.m.) The last flight departs after 8:00 p.m. Prices look like $210 per person, excluding taxes and fee's.

Last edited by Bishope2; Apr 17, 2010 at 5:46 am
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:20 am

Programs: HA Gold, Wn CP, US Silver, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres Circle*, HH silver,
If your coming from El Paso, why not take a cheap SW flight into Phoenix and the switch to Hawaiian or USair and save yourself flying backwards/East? Then you could fly Phx to Maui direct.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I guess my thought would be to stay on the Big Island unless you are absolutely set on staying on Maui. The Big Island has several resorts that are in the same class as the Ritz Carlton and you could easily make a day trip to Volcanoes National Park. Maui has more nightlife but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for anyway.

If you think this is something you might consider, the take a look at the websites for the Four Season's Hualalai resort or the Mauna Kea resort which has two places to stay - Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel and the Mauna Kea. The Mauna Kea resort has two of the best beaches in all of the islands and the weather should be fine.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: Delta
You could stay on Maui and take a plane tour out of West Maui that views the volcano and other places from the air. I've never done it, but have seen these flights leaving from West Maui.
http://www.volcanoairtours.com/
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. It looks like we will be joining some freinds to Hawaii and they are staying in HNL for all 7 days. I plan on joining them for a few days and then heading to the Big Island to see volcanoes.

But do they not have volcano tours by helicopter?

After spending some time on the internet, I have decided that I can fly into HNL, spend a few days winding down, then head to the Fairmont Orchid for 2 nights and then head back to HNL for the remaing days. What do you all recommend?

Oh and by the way, the trip has now changed from Dec 2010 to July 2010.

Last edited by anaggie; Apr 19, 2010 at 4:37 pm
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anthemflyer
If your coming from El Paso, why not take a cheap SW flight into Phoenix and the switch to Hawaiian or USair and save yourself flying backwards/East? Then you could fly Phx to Maui direct.
Would like to keep AA GOLD plus I can get upgraded from ELP-DFW-HNL and back via EVIPS.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:54 am

anaggie, seeing that you have changed your vacation from December to July, how long will you be in Hawaii for? That is the first question everyone will ask. My suggestion if you plan on traveling to 2 islands, extend your vacation to 10 nights. Then you could do say, 4 nights on Oahu with your friends then 6 nights on Hawaii to visit the park and relax.

If you are only in Hawaii for 7 nights, remember the day you travel to the Big Island, about 3 to 5 hours, will be wasted on actual travel. If you will only be on the Big Island for 2 days, that is alot to ask of a family. Traveling from the Kona coast to Volcanos National Park and back will take one full day. No time to rest and relax at the Fairmont.

Another option is to stay in Hilo. The hotels there are limited and are not of the caliber of the Fairmont. That said, you can make the most of your time. Yet another option, fly to the Big Island right from the start and finish your trip on Oahu with your friends. Either way, I would still spend more time on the Big Island than 2 days.

Yes, they do have helicopter rides from ITO and from the Kona Coast. From the Hilo Airport, it will be less expensive and you will get more time over the volcano area. Flying from the Kona Coast, more expensive, more travel time to the volcanos and a little time actually over the area.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
If you really want to see the volcano,then I'd opt to stay at one of the places nearer to the park, and flying in/out of Hilo. No sense spending your entire 2 days on the road.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bishope2
anaggie, seeing that you have changed your vacation from December to July, how long will you be in Hawaii for? That is the first question everyone will ask. My suggestion if you plan on traveling to 2 islands, extend your vacation to 10 nights. Then you could do say, 4 nights on Oahu with your friends then 6 nights on Hawaii to visit the park and relax.

If you are only in Hawaii for 7 nights, remember the day you travel to the Big Island, about 3 to 5 hours, will be wasted on actual travel. If you will only be on the Big Island for 2 days, that is alot to ask of a family. Traveling from the Kona coast to Volcanos National Park and back will take one full day. No time to rest and relax at the Fairmont.

Another option is to stay in Hilo. The hotels there are limited and are not of the caliber of the Fairmont. That said, you can make the most of your time. Yet another option, fly to the Big Island right from the start and finish your trip on Oahu with your friends. Either way, I would still spend more time on the Big Island than 2 days.

Yes, they do have helicopter rides from ITO and from the Kona Coast. From the Hilo Airport, it will be less expensive and you will get more time over the volcano area. Flying from the Kona Coast, more expensive, more travel time to the volcanos and a little time actually over the area.
The actual days spent in HNL are 5 nights/6 days -- tickets are booked. I have decided that we will forgo the volcano this time and do it another time when the kids are older so they can really enjoy a volcano.

This way we can spend time in one place with friends instead of just hopping around.

So, what is recommended in HNL for 6 days? We are staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.