Wiki Posts
Search

Maui: Polo Beach Club or Keal Lani?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
Maui: Polo Beach Club or Kea Lani?

We are staying in Wailea for the first 3 nights of our third trip to Maui (first for whale viewing!) Family of 5-Me and Mr. T & 2 teens and our 7 year old.

The Polo Beach Club condos look lovely. The building is VERY close to the water (closer than the luxe villas at the FKL) for whale viewing, the condos are 2 bedrooms & 1200 sq sft and the beach looks very private compared to the Kea Lani's next door.

There's something in me that wants a lei greeting, maid service, buffet breakfast and fun pools for my little one, though. We would get a suite with a King bed at the Fairmont in the bedroom and the 2 teens would be on the pull-out sofa and my daughter on a rollaway in the living room. Thoughts????

Last edited by turtlegirl; Mar 11, 2010 at 6:33 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by turtlegirl
We are staying in Wailea for the first 3 nights of our third trip to Maui (first for whale viewing!) Family of 5-Me and Mr. T & 2 teens and our 7 year old.

The Polo Beach Club condos look lovely. The building is VERY close to the water (closer than the luxe villas at the FKL) for whale viewing, the condos are 2 bedrooms & 1200 sq sft and the beach looks very private compared to the Kea Lani's next door.

There's something in me that wants a lei greeting, maid service, buffet breakfast and fun pools for my little one, though. We would get a suite with a King bed at the Fairmont in the bedroom and the 2 teens would be on the pull-out sofa and my daughter on a rollaway in the living room. Thoughts????
What are the rental rates for the condo? If you want save $$$, go NFAF at Fairmont Kea Lani, basically $300 per night and up certain times of the season.. check out Fairmont President's Club or Hotel Deals on FT. Basically some killer rates.. sign up for Fairmont President's Club for free on www.fairmont.com and get free internet, free local phone calls, discounts at spa/stores, free access to exercise room.. as well as your lei greeting!

If the rates are $150 per night at the condos.. which I doubt, then it'll be worth looking at the condos.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Mar 11, 2010 at 6:50 pm
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:00 am
Original Poster

The condos are $450/night. Ancien Maestro, somehow I knew if you read this you'd direct me to the Kea Lani!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The condos are $450/night. Ancien Maestro, somehow I knew if you read this you'd direct me to the Kea Lani!
Dudette! I'm a bottom feeder and know a pretty good deal when I see one. I booked more than $80 less per night at Kea Lani than what those condos are asking for.. At $450 per night.. so if you stay there a week its' $3,500. You save about a $1,000 at Kea Lani.. give up some square footage, add daily housekeeping, nice grounds.

You might get more space at the condos though.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

I hear you-but $80/night less for a week doesn't come near $1,000 less. I feel that the FKL rooms are too far back from the ocean for whale viewing and I think by booking the NFAF you get a less than desirable room location. I know you've stayed there before so please correct me if I'm wrong...
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:25 pm
Suspended

I hear you-but $80/night less for a week doesn't come near $1,000 less. I feel that the FKL rooms are too far back from the ocean for whale viewing and I think by booking the NFAF you get a less than desirable room location. I know you've stayed there before so please correct me if I'm wrong...
You're right, its only about $600 less for a partial ocean view.. my bad. You can save a almost a G note in their moderate rooms.. Sounds like you're into the condo, which is in a great area. You'll definitely enjoy the area, and short walk to Paradise in Wailea where restaurants and shops are.

We'll be at the Fairmont Kea Lani April 8th to 15th, 2010, arriving from Big Island at the Fairmont Orchid where we're staying from March 24th to April 8th, 2010. We are platinum members of Fairmont, so although we booked the partial ocean view FKL, they usually do their best to upgrade us whenever possible. We've booked NFAF, and the category of room booked with the code won't be any less than when you pay for full retail. We're pretty loyal to the program because of the excellent service.. and actually Fairmont Kea Lani is one of our favorite hotels. Even the guaranteed booked rooms we receive is excellent value. So on the one hand we're treated great as being the highest level of loyalty in FPC.. on the other hand, it may not work out the same for others. But having our family experience the immeasurable memories created by Fairmont, Alooooha Mama, we are definitely looking forward to our stay there.. it will be our third time.

IMHO.. it is different once you've stayed there, compared to being at condos.. We have done the condo thing in Maui before, although it seems like excellent value, its definitely do it yourself everything.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Mar 12, 2010 at 10:40 pm
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I will keep checking rates and see if NFAF is available in January 2011. We recently booked 5 ff tix for then. I'm not really that into the condo...just want a great place with enough room, etc.

I'm just worried about the crowds...we've never been in high season. We're more the Kona Village type on the Big Island, where we'll be in just over 2 months...from May 26-June 4.

Please let everyone know how your trip is...so you can persuade me to try the Kea Lani!!
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:55 am
Suspended

Thanks, I will keep checking rates and see if NFAF is available in January 2011. We recently booked 5 ff tix for then. I'm not really that into the condo...just want a great place with enough room, etc.

I'm just worried about the crowds...we've never been in high season. We're more the Kona Village type on the Big Island, where we'll be in just over 2 months...from May 26-June 4.

Please let everyone know how your trip is...so you can persuade me to try the Kea Lani!!
We've been to Kona Village before for their Luau.. Excellent Must Do when on the Big Island. I've heard that Michael Dell bought the Kona Village.. excellent resort, great meal plan.. had friends stay there for their honeymoon. I remember that FS Hualalai is spread out too, but their buildings on the lower plains are two stories high.

If you're into that Kona Villagetype of resort and ever in the Mayan Riviera area, try out the Fairmont Mayakoba at Riviera Maya. It's just as spread out as Kona Village and in their private low key areas. High room ceilings spacious walks throughout lagoons, canals and jungle.

We've been to Kea Lani high season before in January/February.. read tripadvisor for reviews for the good and the bad.. IMHO, when the hotel is full, it didn't seem like it.. Breakfast package is good, I recommend it, for NFAF rate booked though, the front desk agreed to let us have the package for $50US per morning.. for whale watching, the staff is incredible native hawaiians, takes you out into the water no charge, but got to book ahead for a time.. but if you're Kona Village type people, there is a nice hotel in Hana that's rated as one of the top hotels in Maui, and gives it that au natural feel like you're in the wilderness.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Mar 13, 2010 at 11:01 am
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum (Former EXP, CK) 6MM, Marriott - Lifetime Titanium Elite
I've personally stayed at both of these properties in the past and the answer is "It depends"

The Polo Beach units are very nice especially units 4, 5 & 6 (eg. 504, 604, 704, etc..) 1-3 are good and have a nice view to the south over the pool toward Makena and Molokini. If the options are units 8 or 9, especially below the 5th floor you will basically be in the jungle with little to no ocean view and you will see everyone who parks in the public parking area to access the beach....not preferred.

The units there are a very nice 2 bedroom set-up with a full kitchen and washer/dryer, not to mention that most of the rentals also have beach mats and some even have snorkel gear...but that depends on the unit. Occupancy is down right now and there are some pretty good last minute deals....especially on VRBO, and 2 full bedrooms and bathrooms could actually be cheaper if you need 2 rooms at the KL....which it doesn't sound like you do.

The Fairmont on the other hand has the nicest standard hotel rooms in Wailea (Size wise) and the property is very, very nice. If you are a hotel type on vacation and want to eat every meal out then you will like the KL. We tend to like to have breakfast at our own pace (on the lanai) sipping our coffee and a pineapple or mango all of which we get at Costco along with a few other snacks. We go out to dinner most every night....but can just relax looking at the beautiful sunset if we had a long day so we are very partial to a condo and if you ask me the PBC while a bit pricey is one of the best overall values in South Maui.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Definitely helps as we were looking at PBC 109. Furthest back on the first floor on the North Side. $450/night. I realize not much ocean view but it has two lanais and since it is on the ground floor you wouldn't see cars, just vegetation as there's a fence. Also easy to walk out to the beach. Still deciding...
Old Apr 10, 2010, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Currently at Kea Lani enjoying 7 nights enjoying the hospitality, food, morning walks and sunsets; after having spent the first 15 at the Fairmont Orchid on Big Island. They've got a $100 food and beverage credit per day and fifth night free from moderate to Deluxe Ocean View Categories. Book on www.perfectescapes.com, and get free upgrade, free breakfast, amenity, late check out, etc. (This deal however was not on www.perfectescapes.com last I checked). This deal worked out to under $300 plus food per night for us, so excellent deal in the Fairmont category and upgraded to Ocean View because of FPC and competitive web sites. Get the deaily breakfast plan.. It's $50 per day including tax and tip. Aloha!
Old Apr 10, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I'd rather rent a condo than a hotel room any day of the week, especially with 5 people. You get a full kitchen, washer/dryer (which saves on luggage fees) and lots of rooms and tv's to sprawl out in. You'll save tons of money if you stop at Costco on the way from the airport and stock up on breakfast and lunch items. PBC is a parking lot away from the oceanfront path. Only downside is that the pool is mediocre and won't be as much to do for the teens.

Have you checked out renting direct from the owners at VRBO? There are some very sweet condos at PBC.

Oh, and if view is important to you, PBC is hands down the winner unless you can afford the front villas.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrfairmontkealani.html

Last edited by Recreation; Apr 10, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.