Reload this Page >

Maui Pineapples... going, going, gone!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maui Pineapples... going, going, gone!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2009, 2:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Unhappy Maui Pineapples... going, going, gone!

Was visiting the Tedeschi Vineyards earlier in the month, and they mentioned that at the end of the month, Maui will stop growing of them.

So for those who are visiting the islands, get them while you can~

Maui Pineapple Ends Operations
After suffering severe financial losses, Maui Land & Pineapple Company announces the end of pineapple production on the Valley Isle. “This is very sad news for our community.”

Sarah Ruppenthal
POSTED: November 12, 2009

For generations of Hawai‘i residents, pineapple has been regarded as a sweet symbol of the fruits of their labor. But for some, this iconic “cash crop” is now a bitter reminder of an economy gone sour, as Maui’s longstanding pineapple legacy comes to an end.

After nearly a century of pineapple production on the Valley Isle, Maui Land & Pineapple Company (ML&P) announced last week that Maui Pineapple Company (MPC) will end its Maui Gold operations by the end of the year, ending a significant chapter of Maui’s history and leaving hundreds of residents unemployed.
<snip>
http://www.kitv.com/money/21509764/detail.html

Apparently ML&P is freezing lots of concentrate for the winery to continue production of its Maui Blanc, but only for a while. Eventually they will need to import pineapples- but do plan on continuing operations.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
That's really sad. We've taken the plantation tour our last two trips to Maui and it was the highlight of the trip for our kids both times. A fresh level 5 Maui Gold pineapple, cored, sliced, and cooled in the fridge for a few hours in it's own juice, is one of the most unbelievable tastes in the world. Once they reach that ripeness on the vine they can no longer be picked/packed/shipped/etc, so this taste will never be available again.

I guess it was an economic inevitability, but still very sad.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Extremely sad for the workers. AND nothing can beat a Maui Gold!
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
wow. terrible news. and they are/were the only remaining pineapple producer on Maui? really sad indeed.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:24 am

So does this mean that we won't be able to bring back a box of maui gold to MN in March?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maui used to grow some wonderful pineapples until the ag dept at the Univ of Hawaii came up with a hybrid pineapple that was larger, prettier, more uniform, lasted longer in storage etc. The growers switched to it ASAP.

Unfortunately this hybrid was very high in acid content and many consumers objected to this and preferred the former sweeter taste. After a few years sales dropped off and...........

MisterNice
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Maybe this explains why Maui Gold pineapples are no longer available in Seattle-area Costcos and were replaced by that crap from Central America that we refuse to eat.

Very sad news indeed I don't think Dole makes enough on O'ahu to export for retail, so it sounds like the only way to get a Hawaiian pineapple is while you're actually there.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:03 am

Stopped by the Lihue Costco this afternoon to stock up on provisions for the week and luckily they had Maui Golds... got 3 and hope they're are sweet and good as we've had the lst 2 years.
Now if Costco had some good poke it wouild be great. Went today for the Mango Salso Poke but they stoppened carrying it. Too bad.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Stopped by the Lihue Costco this afternoon to stock up on provisions for the week and luckily they had Maui Golds... got 3 and hope they're are sweet and good as we've had the lst 2 years.
Now if Costco had some good poke it wouild be great. Went today for the Mango Salso Poke but they stoppened carrying it. Too bad.
I thought LIH had a poke bar?

Glad there are some Maui Golds floating around... I think that Carrs/Safeway in ANC has them on sale $3 ea- should grab a couple before they are gone
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
FYI ... You can buy as many of these pineapples as you want and take them home without any issue at the airport. As long as there's no soil on them (and there usually isn't) they will pass them through the machine, maybe give a cursory look-see, and let them through.

FWIW - the guys in Ag inspection are the ones who told me I could do this.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
FYI ... You can buy as many of these pineapples as you want and take them home without any issue at the airport. As long as there's no soil on them (and there usually isn't) they will pass them through the machine, maybe give a cursory look-see, and let them through.

FWIW - the guys in Ag inspection are the ones who told me I could do this.
Thanks Mary I will bring home some Maui pineapples to New Jersey in Feb

Looks like we're both from new Jersey but love hawaii - we go every year in jan/Feb to get away from the cold in Morris cty
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
They had a stack of them in the LIH Costco when I was there in Nov. I think they were $3 or $4 each. Compare that to the cost of 2 at the airport This had to be the best kept secret on the islands.

I'm looking forward to escaping NJ in March... anything to get out of the snow
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Mary2e
They had a stack of them in the LIH Costco when I was there in Nov. I think they were $3 or $4 each. Compare that to the cost of 2 at the airport This had to be the best kept secret on the islands.

I'm looking forward to escaping NJ in March... anything to get out of the snow
Costco in LIH still has Maui Golds for $2.99
Safeway in Hawaii has them this week for $0.49/lb. Came out to $2.45 for the one I picked up!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Costco in LIH still has Maui Golds for $2.99
Safeway in Hawaii has them this week for $0.49/lb. Came out to $2.45 for the one I picked up!
OGG Costco #119 was $2.79 ea
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:07 pm

Article in today's Maui News. Former and current Maui Land employees are trying to start a smaller company that would continue pineapple farming on Maui.

Theres still hope that you can continue to get your Maui Golds!

http://mauinews.com/page/content.det...37.html?nav=10

BW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.