Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii & immigration

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2009, 9:02 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by karannarang
Hello All

I am arriving at Maui (OGG) from Chicago (ORD) in the next couple of weeks and will be returning from Honolulu (HNL) to San Francisco (SFO)about 10 days later.

I am aware that Hawaii is just another US state, but I want to hear first hand experiences from people travelling between these cities to confirm that there are indeed no Immigration checks to go through.

Thank you
none. aloha!
Old Jan 1, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
Quick answer ( NO )

phote ID will be requiere, but if you are not USA citizen and dont have a govertment issue ID then you will need your passport, but will not go thru immigration
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Originally Posted by Finite Elephant
Those flying HNL-GUM go through immigration both ways even though it's an internal U.S. flight.
Incorrect. To enter Guam from a foreign country (Japan, Philippines, etc.) you must clear US Immigration in Guam, run now by USCIS, but you do not clear US Customs. However, although Guam is considered the United States, it it not within the 'Customs Territory of the United States' as defined by 19 CFR 101.1.

Accordingly, if you fly GUM-HNL, this is a US domestic flight and you will not need to clear US Immigration, but you WILL need to clear US Customs. HNL-GUM is purely domestic with neither customs nor immigration.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PeoDeMIA
Incorrect. To enter Guam from a foreign country (Japan, Philippines, etc.) you must clear US Immigration in Guam, run now by USCIS, but you do not clear US Customs. However, although Guam is considered the United States, it it not within the 'Customs Territory of the United States' as defined by 19 CFR 101.1.

Accordingly, if you fly GUM-HNL, this is a US domestic flight and you will not need to clear US Immigration, but you WILL need to clear US Customs. HNL-GUM is purely domestic with neither customs nor immigration.
This is not totally correct.

To enter Guam from foreign country, you have to clear US Immigration, then Guam Customs (separate from US Customs). Enter Guam from HNL, you skip US Immigration and route directly to Guam Customs upon arrival.

Flying GUM-HNL, you clear US Immigration at the boarding gate. This is mainly stop people on Guam visa waiver from entering the US. In HNL, you skip US immigration and get routed to US Customs.

It's not a domestic flight in either direction.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
HI has full statehood, territories such as Guam, the USVI and American-Samoa do not have statehood.

Flying to HI from any other state is like flying within the lower 48 states. Government ID is required for TSA purposes just like any other US airport. You are never processed by immigration or CBP (no need to).

Flying to/from any US state to a US territory is very different.

When flying from the mainland US to the USVI you do not clear anything to enter the USVI, but to return to the US mainland from the USVI you pass through US immigrations and customs, have to declare purchases and are subject to limits ($1600 IIRC) plus agricultural inspection. US citizens do not require passports (any gov't ID will work), all other nationalities do, including non-resident aliens living in the US.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:09 pm

I've been frequenting Yahoo Answers and it's amazing how many people ask if they need a passport to go from NY to Chicago!

Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by bwhite
Flying to/from any US state to a US territory is very different.

When flying from the mainland US to the USVI you do not clear anything to enter the USVI, but to return to the US mainland from the USVI you pass through US immigrations and customs, have to declare purchases and are subject to limits ($1600 IIRC) plus agricultural inspection. US citizens do not require passports (any gov't ID will work), all other nationalities do, including non-resident aliens living in the US.
I do not know about the USVI. But I have traveled to and from Puerto Rico many-many times. Puerto Rico is another US "territory." There are NO immigration or customs checks going from the US to Puerto Rico or from Puerto Rico to the US. Interestingly though when leaving Puerto Rico, such as San Juan, for the US, you are allowed to shop in their duty free shops at the airport. So, for ex., buying some quality Puerto Rican rum, such as Don Q, could be a great idea.

The agricultural inspection is a whole other issue. That has nothing to do with immigration or keeping certain folks out. It has to do with keeping agricultural pests out. When leaving Puerto Rico, you have to get agricultural clearance. There is a list of items not allowed. But certain fruits are allowed. For ex., apples are not allowed, but bananas are. In contrast, when leaving Hawaii, no fruits or vegetabes are allowed at all, they are very strict about it.

Last edited by Coconut Travel Hawaii; Jan 2, 2010 at 12:59 pm
Old May 3, 2010, 4:50 pm

I was going to reply in my own thread but it's closed now.

I guess the reason people ask this seemingly stupid question is because we are subject to increasingly ridiculous rules these days during travel just like the new restroom rules.

Personally, I have traveled extensively in/out of the US, I do know that HI is a state and should not require any border controls but who knows anymore what they are drumming up eh? What is to say that there is no rule that says otherwise.. leaving/entering the mainland requires proof of citizenship...there is nothing stopping the administration from coming up with some baloney laws like this.. if you have to prove your citizenship at a traffic stop in AZ then why not in an airport when re-entering the mainland? Never heard of such a thing but who knows...these things are constantly changing.

may be unlikely but better safe than sorry...so that is why we clarify man, this is a harsh crowd. Some of us are indeed well traveled (I've been to 26 countries) but just don't want to assume anything anymore.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
No Immigration.. but yes security. Plan to be checked-in at least 60 minutes going to mainland.. at least 30 minutes interisland.. and bag fees to boot!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by karannarang
There is a certain grey area regarding this with non- US Citizens like myself. This is the first time I am travelling to HI and want to be sure. Need to know if I must carry my paperwork or not.

May sound funny to you guys, but it is an important question that I'd rather have answered than make an assumption about.

Request FT'ers whow have flown between these city pairs to chime in. Appreciate your help. Thank you.

* how was your trip? did you encounter any trouble?
we're planning to go there as well in a month and I would like to know how was ur experience.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by darna07
* how was your trip? did you encounter any trouble?
we're planning to go there as well in a month and I would like to know how was ur experience.
Don't even give this a second thought...it's a total non-issue. The only immigration checks are for people flying to HI directly from a different country.

You need your drivers license for ID and that's it.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
The only time I had to go through immigration while in the US was at from GUM -> HNL

And even when my driver's license was Canadian I flew around domestic without any problems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.