Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Rumored: go! to shut down in February?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumored: go! to shut down in February?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Widened?

The percentage of seats filled widened to 76.7% from 73.1%.
Widened? Look, I know I've put on a few pounds, but I didn't fly go! last quarter!

And although I agree with cblaisd on a lot of things, in this economy, I don't think I can be too sad about any employer posting a profit.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:12 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Being in the black is seen as a very positive bit of news from me. Having had to tell other travelers they lost a choice of airlines and their miles is the worst thing that I do.

Let keep it Go-ing.

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Sad news.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:20 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
With respect Randy, it was go!'s unethical (this is not a charge; this is a judgment rendered against it in a court of law) and shady business practices succeeded in putting Aloha out of business -- one more instance of mainland carpetbaggers claiming taking advantage of Hawai`i.

So the mere fact of any airline making a profit is not in and of itself to be celebrated.

The human misery they wreaked on the way there needs to be taken account of. Not every profit is unalloyed good news.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
With respect Randy, it was go!'s unethical (this is not a charge; this is a judgment rendered against it in a court of law) and shady business practices succeeded in putting Aloha out of business -- one more instance of mainland carpetbaggers claiming taking advantage of Hawai`i.
^

So the mere fact of any airline making a profit is not in and of itself to be celebrated.
Not only that, but who says they are reporting accurately? It's widely speculated that Mesa cooks their books. Their CEO is BANNED from trading stocks by the SEC!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
^
Not only that, but who says they are reporting accurately? It's widely speculated that Mesa cooks their books. Their CEO is BANNED from trading stocks by the SEC!
A lot of things are widely speculated about Mesa on this forum. Other places, not so much.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:08 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gemac
A lot of things are widely speculated about Mesa on this forum. Other places, not so much.
With all due respect, there are PLENTY of places around the net speculating things like this about Mesa.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:09 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

go! posts profit for quarter

CLICK HERE for link.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who are into such things, Mesa is also having their quarterly earnings conference call on... hmmm, tomorrow, I think? at 11:00 eastern.

Details are in a press release you can find on Yahoo or Google finance.

(Sorry, no link, can't be bothered to go dig it up right now, since I'm not among "those who are into such things" - I just stumbled across it yesterday.)
Old Feb 23, 2009, 9:18 pm

Go! won't last long. I flew them on Feb. 9th from HNL to LIH and all four of their planes had problems that morning and there were cancellations and/or delays on all their flights that day. From talking to a lot of people around HNL, that is the rule rather than the exception. For people stuck waiting to go to Maui from HNL since early that morning, about 6 hours later the powers that be finally decided to give them a meal voucher for a whopping $10.00 each after standing in line for a very long time to get it as they had to process them all by hand. To top it off, one had to leave the security area to use it for anything other than a hotdog in the bar. Once they left, the TSA informed them that they had to get new boarding passes (another line) to reenter the gate area as the times on their original boarding passes had expired.

The agents in the gate area had no answers and were not helpful at all because, according to them, everything is handled from Phoenix. Needless to say, anyone on flights that day will not be flying on Go! again, myself included.

When we finally arrived in Kauai, about two hours late, the guy at the car rental counter asked me whether we were on Go! or American as those two airlines are always late. (no dig at AA, I flew them from LAX to HNL and we were right on time, but the LAX-LIH flight leaves late in the day from LAX and they are always backed up by then like most large cities).

As a side note, all other inter-island airlines were on time all day.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 9:33 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

You've discovered the magic of Mesa

All that fake "we love Hawai`i/we've got the real aloha spirit" stuff really is just marketing hooey.

"Friends don't let friends fly go!"

Spread the word.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have flown go! a number of times. They have never been late on any of those flights. I do remember, though, that the next gate was a HA flight that was cancelled. Guess HA won't last long either.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:09 pm

I have flown go! a number of times.
My condolences.

... that the next gate was a HA flight that was cancelled.
So, if it was the "next gate," did the HA flight end up at the commuter terminal somehow, or did the go! flight end up at the inter-island terminal?

Guess HA won't last long either.
No, they'll be fine, thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 2:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
"Friends don't let friends fly go!"
Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do remember, though, that the next gate was a HA flight that was cancelled.
So, if it was the "next gate," did the HA flight end up at the commuter terminal somehow, or did the go! flight end up at the inter-island terminal?
A strange question, coming from someone who flies ex-ITO! I'm fairly sure that mathematically it's impossible for fewer than 50% of go! flights to depart from airports other than HNL, and at most or all other airports in Hawaii, HA and YV use the same terminals, right?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:23 am

You're right. I had assumed from the previous posts that the context was HNL.

So mea culpa.

But nonetheless, "Friends don't let friends fly go!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.