Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Empty camping stoves permitted in HA checked baggage?

Old Mar 13, 04, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

I'll be doing some camping in Volcanoes National Park, and I want to bring my camping stove along in my checked baggage. Obviously, I won't be bringing any fuel aboard the aircraft, but I'm worried HA might not allow me to bring my empty stove. The official policy from the HA website is:

"Due to federal regulations, Hawaiian Airlines is not permitted to accept as checked or cabin baggage any partially or fully used bottle of fuel, as it is considered a hazardous material. Any partially or fully used camping stoves will be confiscated at the time you check in for your flight."

This seems poorly worded, since a camping stove cannot be "fully used"--did they mean that any partially or fully used BOTTLE OF FUEL will be confiscated, or are they really talking about stoves?

Does anyone have any recent experience bringing camping stoves in their luggage? I'd really appreciate your input. (I'm flying out of SEA if you have specific experience there).
Old Mar 14, 04, 7:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Alaska MVP Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by trucker:
I'll be doing some camping in Volcanoes National Park, and I want to bring my camping stove along in my checked baggage. Obviously, I won't be bringing any fuel aboard the aircraft, but I'm worried HA might not allow me to bring my empty stove. The official policy from the HA website is:

"Due to federal regulations, Hawaiian Airlines is not permitted to accept as checked or cabin baggage any partially or fully used bottle of fuel, as it is considered a hazardous material. Any partially or fully used camping stoves will be confiscated at the time you check in for your flight."

This seems poorly worded, since a camping stove cannot be "fully used"--did they mean that any partially or fully used BOTTLE OF FUEL will be confiscated, or are they really talking about stoves?

Does anyone have any recent experience bringing camping stoves in their luggage? I'd really appreciate your input. (I'm flying out of SEA if you have specific experience there).
</font>
Since you have a very specific question why not just call the airline and discuss your unique issue?
Old Mar 15, 04, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

I called the airline before posting, but the agent I spoke with seemed extremely confused and couldn't give me a firm answer, even after reading on her computer the restriction I included above. She told me camping stoves would likely be at the discretion of the agents working the counter for my flight, which is why I'm looking for any first hand experience.

Search this Thread