Wiki Posts
Search

II First

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, United Premier Exec, Virgin Gold
II First

Due to fly from Honolulu to Kona then to Kaui. Is either HA or Aloha first worth the extra couple of hundred and which one is better?
Old Dec 14, 2003, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
ade99,
Don't really understand your question here...

If you're flying from HNL-KOA-LIH, you will need to fly Aloha or Hawaiian Airlines and spend the "extra couple of hundred". There is no other way to get from island to island.

As for similarities, you'll find much information about the two interisland services by utilizing the search feature of this board. Bottom line is that you're flying newer planes on one, but everything else is pretty much the same.

------------------
There is a lot of valuable information that has already been posted on your topic

You can find this information by utilizing the "search" feature on menu bar on this page. Then search for your topic and you should find the information you're looking for.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 4:38 pm

I think he is questioning if the First Class product is worth a couple hundred more on those short hops, and if one is better than the other.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 5:29 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cndij:
I think he is questioning if the First Class product is worth a couple hundred more on those short hops, and if one is better than the other.</font>
Agreed that seems to be the question. I think it can only be answered by the person posing the question, as what something is "worth" to me is different than anyone else.

How about just laying a few facts down and let folks decide for themselves?

HA's B717 Fleet, around 2 years old
AQ's B732 Fleet, around 20 year old

F class seat is probably around 20" wide with 35" or so of pitch.

Y seat on the 732 is around 17" wide with 31" pitch, more or less. 3-aisle-3 seating.

Don't know about the 717, but I would expect similar.

Flying time between islands is about 20-40 min.

Extra perks of First Class

Lounge Access
Priority Boarding and Assigned Seats
Possible Priority TSA checkpoint line
Possible Priority luggage handling.

So, is what I've descrbed worth the extra cost? Up to you...
Old Dec 14, 2003, 7:18 pm

Last year I flew in F HNL-LIH on Hawaiian. It was $50/person to upgrade at the ticket counter. I just did it to cut off the huge line waiting to check in for coach, but it was hardly worth it for such a short/empty flight. That is just IMHO. I think it was a 717 and the seat was not too bad (even got a soda). AA, UA and US also offer flights, the only problem is you have to fly to the mainland and then back to the islands.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JumboJet:
AA, UA and US also offer flights, the only problem is you have to fly to the mainland and then back to the islands.</font>

Don't forget the free booze.

Now that I understand your question, I can answer it better, but the slightly weirdly titled topic threw me off.

As FlyinHaw'n put it... it is your choice. I still have a few Aloha Airlines upgrade coupons lying around so if you can get your hands on one of those, that might help you avoid paying the high cost to upgrade (I'd trade you mines, but it has my name written on them). Hawaiian also has similar coupons as well.

Other than that... I truly don't think it's worth it to be in F. On Aloha and Hawaiian there are so many Exec/Pualani Plat members that preboarding is useless... (half the plane preboards). It might help however to have the expedited security lines. Of course, F class check-in really isn't that important any more given that you can use self-service devices (SSD) for both carriers.

Other than all the free booze and small snack (chocolates, mac nuts, etc.) they'll offer you on the plane... I think saving your money and sitting in coach might be a more economical idea.

And... of course, since seating is open, just get to the gate early and see if you can snag an exit row seat for the leg room.

Aloha
Old Dec 17, 2003, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, United Premier Exec, Virgin Gold
Thanks guys, sorry the British phrase confused you all. I was trying to find out the difference between first and economy and if the two hundered dollar difference was worth it.

So on the inter island flights there is not pre-assinged seats?
Old Dec 17, 2003, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ade99:
So on the inter island flights there is not pre-assinged seats?</font>
Like Southwest, it's open seating in coach. First in line, first served.

Aloha
Old Dec 21, 2003, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
I'm pretty sure Aloha is open seating on interisland even in first class. I have travelled several times in first and they always assign OAK-HNL but never my interisland onward, even though it is first class. Not a big deal in any event.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thesilb:
I'm pretty sure Aloha is open seating on interisland even in first class. I have travelled several times in first and they always assign OAK-HNL but never my interisland onward, even though it is first class. Not a big deal in any event.</font>
Aloha does assign seats in First. If you're not convinced, let me show you a few recent boarding cards with my HNL-ITO F seat assignments on them.

Aloha
Old Dec 21, 2003, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold (lifetime/1.7 MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I can also confirm that Aloha has always assigned first class seats, though usually not until check-in. Hawaiian has assigned them ahead of time when I was connecting to a Hawaiian mainland flight. Don't know if they also do it ahead of time for just inter-island.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:40 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Are there any F upgrade certs left? I am flying HNL-LIH next week with my wife and son.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold (lifetime/1.7 MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
If you are a member of AlohaPass miles, AQ's FF program (free to sign up), you can get F for $99 each way booked on their website. Look for the special link on the lower left side of the home page.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 1:37 pm

Also reaffirmed that AQ assigned F class seats for interisland flights... Personally, I don't think it is worthwhile for F on such short flights. You get pretty much same service as Y, and there is nothing much that they can do.

For the long haul, I think $1000USD RT on AQ is well worth the money between HNL and OAK. But for short hops, I don't think it is worthwhile.

Carfield
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IsleTraveller:
Are there any F upgrade certs left? I am flying HNL-LIH next week with my wife and son.</font>
It's a less than 20 minute flight and the ride in Y is not all that bad...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.