HA profit plunges

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
HA profit plunges

http://starbulletin.com/2005/04/21/business/story1.html

Hawaiian Airlines, which has been negotiating with its pilots union this week to reach a last-minute deal on a labor contract, posted a $4.4 million operating profit in March despite a 40.7 percent jump in fuel costs from a year earlier.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:30 am

joshua didn't hedge fuel. xtra big mistake.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by jtkauai
You will need lots of extra cash available to purchase fuel futures to be able to hedge it, which HA does not have.

Aloha
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by jtkauai
Yeah, but of Joshua, will get a big bonus for his stupidity
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by mctrip
You will need lots of extra cash available to purchase fuel futures to be able to hedge it, which HA does not have.

Aloha
from what i read in the ha financial statements, monahan, the first bk trustee hedged fuel using heating oil forward contracts, as had been the custom. josh stopped that, and contracts ended 1 year ago (they've been in bk over 2).

alua aloha brah
Old May 15, 2005, 11:45 am

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Too bad to hear that HA didn't hedge fuel, but I do agree that they don't have the extra cash on hand to invest in fuel futures.

In saying that, we should all be lucky that HA even pulled a profit, even if it was that dismal of an amount. Many of the larger legacies would be delighted if they broke even.
Old May 16, 2005, 4:42 pm

on an added note, ha's stock has gone from $7 to $4.32 in the last 45 or so days. i don't really follow other airline stocks. any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.