Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Using HA miles for Virgin award flights" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

The Virgin Atlantic Upper Class award for 80,000 Hawaiian Air miles seems like an exceptional value. Has anybody ever redeemd the award? and how was availability?
Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:28 pm

I've never redeemed this, but that's the same number of miles that Virgin Atlantic requires for a upper class award ticket from the US using Virgin Atlantic miles.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Absolutely. Ineed, I think the 100,000 Delta miles required (used to be 80k) are still a terrific deal. I think the VS UC Suite product is about as good as commercial air travel could possibly get.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 7:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TraveltheWorld
The Virgin Atlantic Upper Class award for 80,000 Hawaiian Air miles seems like an exceptional value. Has anybody ever redeemd the award? and how was availability?
I'm very curious about the answer to this question as well. I know every time I've tried to use HP miles for a Virgin ticket there has been no availability even close to what I wanted. I would imagine that HA draws availability from the same bucket, which would mean equally scarce availability, but I've never tried. Anyone?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
The key to overseas mileage awards in persistence. You might want to download the Availabilty Tool application -- with it, you can check whether the award you desire is available, without the hassles of dealing with a partner award desk human. Just make it a daily (three minute) routine to check.

Also, if an award opens up in one direction, grab it if you've got at least a month to work with before departure. Book any date possible for the other portion, and work on changing the other half later. Yes, you'll probably have a change fee, but I think it's worth it.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TraveltheWorld
Hmm... It looks like it's up to 100,000 now...

Edit: It might have been @ 100,000 before, but I read it wrong. In any case, 100,000 miles are required.

Last edited by TraveltheWorld; Feb 17, 2005 at 7:42 pm
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:14 am

Virgin awards with HA miles.

Has anyone redeemed HA miles for awards on Virgin? What is availability like for Premium Economy or Upper Class seats to London and destinations beyond (such as JNB)? Any information would be appreciated!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:33 am

Anyone????
Old Feb 13, 2009, 9:20 pm

Bueller...? Bueller...?

Am I to assume that no one has successfully redeemed Hawaiian miles for Virgin flights?
Old Feb 14, 2009, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi MisterAviator,

I do not have any HA miles but assuming HA miles award availability on VS is the same as for Virgin miles, some hints;

(1) Upper Class LAS-LGW ( Gatwick not Heathrow) availability is very tight ( lots of demand and only 14 upper class seats per aircraft). Availability form LAX & SFO to LHR is generally a lot better ( but I would book well in advance). South African routes are also popular but given the current climate, more seats may be available.
Not sure on Premium Economy but I think there is better availability ( but it is a very long flight via London to South Africa)

Good luck in finding something.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:16 pm

TBS,
Thanks for the reply! You are definitely correct that award availability (as showing on the VS website) from LAS is virtually nonexistent. SFO and LAX seem to be much better. I'd still love to hear from anyone who has gone through the process of booking with Hawaiian miles, just to get an idea of how everything worked out. Thanks!
-MisterAviator
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MisterAviator
TBS,
Thanks for the reply! You are definitely correct that award availability (as showing on the VS website) from LAS is virtually nonexistent. SFO and LAX seem to be much better. I'd still love to hear from anyone who has gone through the process of booking with Hawaiian miles, just to get an idea of how everything worked out. Thanks!
-MisterAviator
Why not just call HawaiianMiles and have them look up something on VA for you? You don't have to book it.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA 1M, AA Platinum, HA Pualani Gold, KAL Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Cool Using HA miles to get a Virgin

Aloha everyone,
I've been thinking about using some of my HA miles to get a flight to London on Virgin Airways and was wondering how easy or difficult this will be. If you've managed to do this, can you share your experience---how far in advance did you have to ticket? Was just a single call to HA or did you have to talk to Virgin too? All advice is welcome!
Aloha
K
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kaneohe0850
I've been thinking about using some of my HA miles to get a flight to London on Virgin Airways and was wondering how easy or difficult this will be. If you've managed to do this, can you share your experience---how far in advance did you have to ticket?
This 'consolidated' thread has been running for about 5 years now and it does not seem as though anyone here has had the experience of using HA miles for a VS ticket. I'm very curious about the process and outcome as well, so I'm hopeful someone will someday report their experience. Perhaps you can be the first, Kaneohe0850!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:17 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
A small, moderatorly note: there were three threads on this topic. I merged them together tonight for one-stop shopping

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.