Question about agent reliability

Old Jun 16, 04, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Question about agent reliability

I am booked on HA 3 on 6/21. The flight presently shows F0 J0 P0 Y0 W0 Q0 B0 M0 N0 T0 H0 K0 L0 Z0, but two agents that I spoke with insisted that the flight was not oversold. The did however say that they could not assign seats to me as assignable seats were not open (I assume that means exit row seats)

It is of course possible that the flight is sold exactly to capacity, but my experience with other airlines would say that a flight showing 0s in all classes is almost certainly oversold. Comments?

With my non-status on HA but EXP on AA what are my chances of being accepted as a bump volunteer/ getting an op-upgrade? Finally other than getting to the airport early, is there any other way of getting an exit row seat?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 16, 04, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by ajacpril
It is of course possible that the flight is sold exactly to capacity, but my experience with other airlines would say that a flight showing 0s in all classes is almost certainly oversold. Comments?

With my non-status on HA but EXP on AA what are my chances of being accepted as a bump volunteer/ getting an op-upgrade? Finally other than getting to the airport early, is there any other way of getting an exit row seat?
Like you said, it could very well be that the flight is not oversold and is "even steven". ITN also has its unreliabilities as well as Galileo as it's the airline that really knows the right number of seats left in each bucket. If you called twice and both agents said it's not oversold, chances are it's not oversold (yet -- perhaps closer to departure).

As for BUMPs, just get to the gate early and volunteer. Don't check bags, etc. What route will you be flying? Some routes tend to have less volunteers than others (less people willing to take a bump). As for exit row seating, the best thing for you to do is try Hele-on check-in (online) and again when you get to the gate (Pualani elites usually snag these first IME).

Hope this helps.

aloha
Old Jun 16, 04, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Your flight is showing 2 seats for sale in F, 0 in coach on Galileo.

One thing to keep in mind about the Hawai'i market is that it's a bit different than flights on the mainland, in that they're practically 100% leisure. What that means is that almost everybody shows up, so the airlines can't oversell by much.

Airlines oversell because they know a number of people are going to miss their flight (car broke down, they overslept, or in most cases, business travellers went early/change to go tomorrow/get tied up in a meeting). Since we don't have much of the business traveller in the Hawai'i market, the amount by which you would oversell those flights is really low.

On some recent flights of mine that were zeroed out, I managed to get the authorized capacity out of the airline. From the mainland, over by 3, return over by 5. With that said, no bumps outbound, 1 bump return (me ).

Now this wasn't HA, but combine that with the fact that HA has very little connecting traffic coming from LAX, meaning that the chance of an inbound misconnect is minimal, as most people are local to LAX, and the amount by which they oversell may very well be in the low single digits.

With that said, I have found a tendency of agents (across airlines) to interpret the numbers instead of just repeating them. Hearing, "We'll be fine" when it's over by just a couple is not uncommon.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your trip! Btw, a bump on the return is what you want, not the outbound.
Old Jun 16, 04, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice all round.

I will be flying HA 3 LAX-HNL.

Channa, I want the o/b bump cause I work in HNL and live in LAX. Monday 6/21 is going to end-up being a flight day for me with a mid-day flight. I would love to get bumped, reach there at night with a few $ (voucher) in my pocket and no impact on work
Old Jun 17, 04, 12:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ajacpril
Channa, I want the o/b bump cause I work in HNL and live in LAX. Monday 6/21 is going to end-up being a flight day for me with a mid-day flight. I would love to get bumped, reach there at night with a few $ (voucher) in my pocket and no impact on work
Some would kill for such a life.

aloha
Old Jun 21, 04, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

The flight was appareny oversold and was going to require volunteers accoring to the lady at check-in. At the gate however after making me wait they let me board as they did not need me any longer I assume there were enough no-shows to have a seat for every pax that showed up.

I noticed an interesting thing. About 25 minutes or so before scheduled departure time, a board with a sheet of paper called the non-rev list was put up. I guess that was the order in which non-revs would be allowed to fly conditional on seats being available. What surprised me was that the list was torn off at the top and the page I was looking at started with serial no. 25 or so. Would that mean there were more than 25 non-revs on the flight? That would be a lot of revenue to lose.
Old Jun 21, 04, 11:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Non-revs are not all leasure pax. Some are deadheaders who need to get to the destination to work on flights heading back to HNL.

aloha
Old Jun 22, 04, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slippahs
Non-revs are not all leasure pax. Some are deadheaders who need to get to the destination to work on flights heading back to HNL.

aloha
Sure, but 25+ out of a total capacity of about 250 seems like a lot

Search this Thread