Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Connection time at HNL - JAL to HA inter-island

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:26 pm
prh
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
International to Domestic Connection Time at HNL

I will be arriving at HNL at around 8 am on a Wednesday via JAL. Then i will continue on to KOA on HA. I haven’t booked the latter ticket. Is 10 am a reasonable flight or should I book a flight around 11.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by prh
I will be arriving at HNL at around 8 am on a Wednesday via JAL. Then i will continue on to KOA on HA. I haven’t booked the latter ticket. Is 10 am a reasonable flight or should I book a flight around 11.
As I'm sure you know, with separate tickets, you are on your own in case of a misconnect. If you were booking the same ticket, the MCT for JL international to HA domestic is 2 hours, so use that as a guide. But I personally would build another hour in there with the understanding that if I still missed the connecting flight, the difference in fare for a change in flight will be on me unless I get lucky with a sympathetic agent.

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.15 1.00 2.00 2.00
OFFLINE 1.15 1.00 2.00 2.00
** OR * ARE ALL
JL-HA ID 1.55
Old Feb 15, 2023, 12:35 pm
prh
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slippahs
As I'm sure you know, with separate tickets, you are on your own in case of a misconnect. If you were booking the same ticket, the MCT for JL international to HA domestic is 2 hours, so use that as a guide. But I personally would build another hour in there with the understanding that if I still missed the connecting flight, the difference in fare for a change in flight will be on me unless I get lucky with a sympathetic agent.

Thanks for confirming my view.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:52 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Definitely do 11. You can standby at the gate in HNL for the earlier KOA flight if you really wanted to get there early, although bags will go on the original flight. (HA standby is free at the gate as it's boarding.. $$ if you go to the CS desk and ask). I've recently did this (NRT-HNL/HNL-KOA) and recently it does seem a lot of the JP flights arrive much earlier than scheduled. Good winds?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are Platinum standby is free at ticket counter and at gate.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:16 am
prh
Original Poster

Hawaiian just changed my flight from HNL to KOA from 11:46 to 11:15 am. I’m scheduled to arrive that morning at 9:15 from NRT on JAL. Is that enough time, or should I change to the next flight at 12:35 pm? I’ll be flying Business on JAL and first on HA if that makes a difference.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 5:46 pm

Do you have Global Entry and are you checking in bags?
Old Oct 31, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA HA AS
Data point from yesterday. Wife texted at 9:57am they had landed. She was on ANA from HND. She was curbside with her checked bags at 10:25am. She has global entry.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 5:05 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by prh
Hawaiian just changed my flight from HNL to KOA from 11:46 to 11:15 am. I’m scheduled to arrive that morning at 9:15 from NRT on JAL. Is that enough time, or should I change to the next flight at 12:35 pm? I’ll be flying Business on JAL and first on HA if that makes a difference.
Are you an American citizen?
Old Oct 31, 2023, 11:30 pm
prh
Original Poster

US citizen with Global Entry and probably three or four checked bags.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by prh
US citizen with Global Entry and probably three or four checked bags.
There are a number of things that could go wrong with your meeting your flight. Your arrival could be delayed. Hawaiian could easily take 45 minutes to offload your bags. When you get to the interisland terminal, you could find a very long line to get through security. Getting through CPB will be a snap, but awaiting HA’s baggage offloading and pre-security line could derail your plans. At the very least, it could add to your stress level.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Honestly that's really fine. If it's the same PNR they just push you to the next one anyway.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Honestly that's really fine. If it's the same PNR they just push you to the next one anyway.
Only the OP is booked in F on HNL-KOA, so by the time OP gets rebooked on a later flight, probably will lose the F seat and get bumped to Y.

That said, chances are you'd probably make it assuming flight arrives on time and there are no hiccups at GlobalEntry or with bags. But as noted upstream, stuff can do wrong and it's not a "comfortable" connection especially since it sounds like this may be booked on different PNRs? In which case, HA would have no obligation to re-accomodate you on a later flight anyway.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 10:21 am
prh
Original Poster

Talked with. Hawaiian and they said it was not a legal connection, but if I wanted to try it, they couldn’t stop me. i finally decided to just change to the flight 45 minutes later (no change fee). I’m going through NRT in the middle of winter and I have access to the Plumeria Lounge so discretion is the better part of valor.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by prh
Talked with. Hawaiian and they said it was not a legal connection, but if I wanted to try it, they couldn’t stop me. i finally decided to just change to the flight 45 minutes later (no change fee). I’m going through NRT in the middle of winter and I have access to the Plumeria Lounge so discretion is the better part of valor.
Good move, but not sure the HA rep is accurate. According to Expert Flyer, MCT I-D in HNL is 2 hrs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.