Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Your Preferences Between Hawaiian and Southwest Interisland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2023, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant

Question for those of you who fly interisland with frequency: Is there any real difference in service culture between Hawaiian and Souhwest?

I've always booked Hawaiian, just because it is Hawaii, for my handful of flights each year. Not without some occasional frustration, but my August flights might have been bad even by mainland standards.

Is Southwest better, worse, or it's all about the same except for the color of paint on the airplane? I don't think I'm even all that particular as a passenger. But deadheading crew misbehaving is enough to make me reconsider.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use Hawaiian as Southwest doesn't have the daily frequency I need. Southwest is usually cheaper. On Hawaiian I get upgraded to F on almost all interisland flights free so get a snack and drink and bigger seat. My one SW flight last year LIH-HNL they brought one cup of water. At LIH SW goes out of the terminal that does mainland flights too so have to go through all the agricultural scans every time go into that wing. So if go to gate then decide want to go get some food or anything have to do the ag inspection again to get back to the gate. So I stick to HA. For reference I flew 67 segments last year with 63 of them interisland (plus the one SW segment).
willoL and beckoa like this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA HA AS
I have been mixing my interisland travel between the two since Southwest started. In my opinion I find the southwest seats more comfortable and the loads are a lot lighter so when I have been flying by myself I usually have at least 2 seats to myself. I also enjoy the streaming entertainment (yes I know its a short flight but I do like it)
Old Sep 7, 2023, 12:31 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
I almost exclusively do Hawaiian. Much quicker on arrival in HNL (I live on Big Island), but more importantly, Southwest uses Mainland planes, and so if that is delayed there's a huge knock-on effect on the inter-islands.

I've done Southwest a few times, but honestly I find them "tacky", in the Mainland sense. I don't find their humor particularly tasteful for the islands either.
Baze likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 1:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
I’m on HA interisland more or less weekly and they generally do a good to outstanding job. Even when their afternoon/evening on time performance was terrible during the HNL runway work, ground staff and crews did a lot to make it more tolerable. I haven’t tried Southwest because HA works for me and Southwest would add maybe 30-45 minutes of airport time to what are already long days. Experiences may be different on the tourist-heavy mid-day flights, but HA really does same day interisland business travel well.
Baze likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 4:40 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I normally go with whoever is cheapest; HA obviously has more flight frequencies and route options, but I've found enough options on WN for the most part. I have booked on WN when on a trip where the free checked bag benefit comes in handy. I do prefer HA on flights out of ITO, as I like to stop at Two Ladies and get my strawberry mochi (daifuku) to take back to Oahu. Because WN uses the mainland flight gates in HNL, the fruit won't pass the required Ag inspection.

I will note that my one and only missed approach when flying interisland was on a WN flight into OGG.
beckoa likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 1:36 am

Programs: Aloha Airlines Ali'i Gold
Both have plusses and minuses as other have mentioned above. I usually choose based on the schedule and price and fly both pretty often.

Compared to HA I think SWA has better the website, phone customer service service, legroom, seat comfort, WiFi and windows (they are bigger and not scratched up like HA's 717s so if you want to take photos SWA is the clear winner).

I agree with others that HA is better on frequency, terminal situation at HNL and airport/inflight staff...but those scratched up 717 windows irritate me 100% of the time!!!

Also, I mostly fly to Hilo and SWA almost always does a full service and I enjoy the option of a Coke or Dr Pepper with snack mix.

-Aloha!
Old Sep 13, 2023, 8:21 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I fly Southwest. After Aloha passed on, I think that Hawaiian took the michael with their fares as they were a monopoly. My heart would fly HA but my head, my credit card and my husband urge to the contrary.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
The biggest drawback to Southwest in my opinion is a lack of a dedicated interisland fleet and no spare planes in Hawaii. So if the mainland flight gets delayed or a mechanical issue comes up you can be looking at significant delays.
Baze and MDTyKe like this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:32 am

Hawaiian is better for frequency of service and if anything happens as other posters mentioned. But Southwest usually costs less, has two free checked bags, lets you change flights with just the fare difference, and has lighter loads.

The deal breaker for me as a tourist is I have a ton of Southwest points and I value my Hawaiian points more for mainland to HNL flights. Also with southwest biz performance card I get free Wi-Fi even for the short flight. But if I lived on the islands and was doing commuting I would probably fly Hawaiian.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 8:00 am

HA advantages are well understood (esp WN is prone to delays) but you guys want to balance yourselves between the airlines. If WN leaves, the high price will be back.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 7:22 pm

People loved to complain about Hawaiian’s prices, but as best I could tell they always compared pretty favorably to prices for short hauls elsewhere. There are always markets where carriers are battling it out and fares are cheap, but those are the exception, not the rule. Interisland fares in the $150-250 range RT close in just weren’t particularly out of line IMO.

Edited to add: took a quick look at Google Flights for same-day IND-ORD over the next few weeks. Cheapest $168, lots of $228, lots more $300-400+.

Last edited by WrightHI; Sep 17, 2023 at 7:28 pm Reason: Added comparison.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:25 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by WrightHI
People loved to complain about Hawaiian’s prices, but as best I could tell they always compared pretty favorably to prices for short hauls elsewhere. There are always markets where carriers are battling it out and fares are cheap, but those are the exception, not the rule. Interisland fares in the $150-250 range RT close in just weren’t particularly out of line IMO.

Edited to add: took a quick look at Google Flights for same-day IND-ORD over the next few weeks. Cheapest $168, lots of $228, lots more $300-400+.
A factor, however, is that flying IND-ORD is a luxury, and flying KOA-HNL is a necessity for there are no other options.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
A factor, however, is that flying IND-ORD is a luxury, and flying KOA-HNL is a necessity for there are no other options.
Sure, but that doesn’t change the cost of flying it. My basic point is that HA seemed to be a fairly responsible monopolist. It flew a strong schedule at lower prices than most comparable routes. Maybe they could have shaved a few bucks off and still made money, but they weren’t gouging. Which makes Southwest’s entry into the market perplexing. It’s a decent market for one carrier but it will take a long time to make up for the losses Southwest is taking to fight its way in.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure how SW is making any money with $74 round trip inter island fares and at $150-250 HA's inter island flights are pretty full most of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.