Search

Connecting times a HNL to ICN

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2023, 12:15 am
prh
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
Connecting times a HNL to ICN

I’m flying to ICN from KOA in business class on a Hawaiian miles ticket in a couple of months. When I made the reservation, i booked flights which had a connecting time in HNL of approximately an hour and 40 minutes. A couple of weeks ago, the flights changed so the connecting time is now approximately an hour and 20 minutes. There is an earlier KOA to HNL flight that would lead to a two hour layover. While there are seats to purchase, my effort to use the Chat option to make the mileage award change failed. I’m guessing 1:20 is a legal connecting time, so I’m anssuming I’m out of luck. I had open heart surgery a year ago, so I don’t move as fast as before. Anyone think I could leverage that into a rebooking on the earlier KOA-HNL flight.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 12:47 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by prh
I’m flying to ICN from KOA in business class on a Hawaiian miles ticket in a couple of months. When I made the reservation, i booked flights which had a connecting time in HNL of approximately an hour and 40 minutes. A couple of weeks ago, the flights changed so the connecting time is now approximately an hour and 20 minutes. There is an earlier KOA to HNL flight that would lead to a two hour layover. While there are seats to purchase, my effort to use the Chat option to make the mileage award change failed. I’m guessing 1:20 is a legal connecting time, so I’m anssuming I’m out of luck. I had open heart surgery a year ago, so I don’t move as fast as before. Anyone think I could leverage that into a rebooking on the earlier KOA-HNL flight.
It looks like they made a few schedule changes for sure - I had a similar situation for December when it's changed by around 20 minutes too. That said, perhaps just call HA and ask - but check if award availability is available in the same bucket on the earlier interisland. Honestly though, even with your surgery 1h20 really is fine - the KOA-HNL's almost always land early, and your bag will be through-checked. Just grab the Wiki Wiki upstairs near the Plumeria lounge (since that's the only lounge you'll have access to anyway) and it'll take you over to the Int'l terminal in 5 minutes. You just have less lounge time, but you're not missing much anyway
Old Sep 5, 2023, 2:13 am
prh
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
It looks like they made a few schedule changes for sure - I had a similar situation for December when it's changed by around 20 minutes too. That said, perhaps just call HA and ask - but check if award availability is available in the same bucket on the earlier interisland. Honestly though, even with your surgery 1h20 really is fine - the KOA-HNL's almost always land early, and your bag will be through-checked. Just grab the Wiki Wiki upstairs near the Plumeria lounge (since that's the only lounge you'll have access to anyway) and it'll take you over to the Int'l terminal in 5 minutes. You just have less lounge time, but you're not missing much anyway
mahalo.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by prh
... I had open heart surgery a year ago, so I don’t move as fast as before. ...
There is also no shame in requesting wheelchair assistance if you have a health issue.

Speaking from experience, I have felt embarrassed and conspicuous as a merely middle aged person being wheeled to my gate, but my chronic condition means overexerting myself can have a tremendous cost. In large, sprawling airports--or anytime I don't know the airport layout well enough to assess distances for myself--I always request the service. You can decline the wheelchair at the gate if it turns out you have plenty of time and are feeling better than expected.

I only book connections over two hours now, because I strongly prefer getting myself between gates, but the airlines WILL change schedules, and their minimum legal connection times are based on fully able adults walking swiftly from Point A to Point B.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Just grab the Wiki Wiki upstairs near the Plumeria lounge (since that's the only lounge you'll have access to anyway) ...
If memory serves, the downstairs lounge also takes F passengers in transit....
Old Sep 6, 2023, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
If memory serves, the downstairs lounge also takes F passengers in transit....
Really? I was denied access to it on HA F->HA C before.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 2:24 am

Really? I was denied access to it on HA F->HA C before.
Well, I’ve never transited in HNL, but. I have used the lounge while traveling interisland F and also transpacific C. It has been awhile so maybe times have changed.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Well, I’ve never transited in HNL, but. I have used the lounge while traveling interisland F and also transpacific C. It has been awhile so maybe times have changed.
Interesting - that's what I was doing. All said, unless things have changed, the Plumeria upstairs considered superior. Shame though as the location of the downstairs one is prime!
Old Sep 7, 2023, 11:49 am

Interesting - that's what I was doing. All said, unless things have changed, the Plumeria upstairs considered superior. Shame though as the location of the downstairs one is prime!
when you tried using downstairs lounge, did you show your F or C boarding pass? Was it just one agent /one occasion?
Old Sep 7, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Read literally, their access policy does appear to limit long-haul business class to the Plumeria lounge and exclude from Premier Club: https://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app...tail/a_id/3319. Somewhat bizarre, but HA is like that sometimes.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct. The Premier Club downstairs allows inter island F, long haul C/F needs to use the Plumeria Lounge upstairs.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 11:26 pm
prh
Original Poster

The IASS Lounge (downstairs) is available to Priority Select card holders.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by prh
The IASS Lounge (downstairs) is available to Priority Select card holders.
Was there today. Very crowded. They only have juice and soda and coffee. Plumeria lounge had 30 min waitlist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.