Wiki Posts
Search

Red-eye + open curtains

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Red-eye + open curtains

I just flew a NRT-HNL red-eye in HA C/J, and the left curtain was completely open between the Business Class cabin and the galley - and all the galley lights were on, including the 'strobes' above the door.. Pax on the entire left side of the plane were blinded the entire flight. I mentioned this to the FA who quite abruptly told me "We don't close that curtain. In all my flights, I never have.", and essentially laughed off the idea. I'll admit I was quite taken back - as I would have expected pax comfort to be at least a consideration.

Prior to that, the in-flight map TV was on full brightness, and was constantly strobing too.

Because everything was so bright, I had zero sleep, even with an eye mask - and the crew's constant chatting + banging added to the issue. Almost all pax on the left side were awake and struggling to sleep.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Granted only about 10 total flights over the years on the A330 but I have never seen the left curtain closed. Right yes, left no. None were redeyes and all either mainland to HI or HI to mainland. But they did have all the lights off and window shades closed.

Last edited by Baze; Jan 9, 2023 at 1:52 pm
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
Granted only about 10 total flights over the years on the A330 but I have never seen the left curtain closed. Right yes, left no. None were redeyes and all either mainland to HI or HI to mainland. But they did have all the lights off and window shades closed.
Very interesting - and unfortunate for anyone in the left side of the cabin, particularly the first row or two!
Old Jan 10, 2023, 11:56 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
I just flew a NRT-HNL red-eye in HA C/J, and the left curtain was completely open between the Business Class cabin and the galley - and all the galley lights were on, including the 'strobes' above the door.. Pax on the entire left side of the plane were blinded the entire flight. I mentioned this to the FA who quite abruptly told me "We don't close that curtain. In all my flights, I never have.", and essentially laughed off the idea. I'll admit I was quite taken back - as I would have expected pax comfort to be at least a consideration.

Prior to that, the in-flight map TV was on full brightness, and was constantly strobing too.

Because everything was so bright, I had zero sleep, even with an eye mask - and the crew's constant chatting + banging added to the issue. Almost all pax on the left side were awake and struggling to sleep.

Has anyone else experienced this?
HA seems to employ very sociable FAs who enjoy talking to each other, sometimes to the point of ignoring their customers.

Hope you write into the corporate office (President) and share your experiences.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
HA seems to employ very sociable FAs who enjoy talking to each other, sometimes to the point of ignoring their customers.

Hope you write into the corporate office (President) and share your experiences.
What is the best way to share that experience (without going full Karen)? I just want them to think about passenger comfort. It's unfair and honestly distasteful if people are paying thousands of $$ to get some shuteye, to not even have the decency to close a curtain to allow them to not have a light beaming in their faces.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 4:33 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
What is the best way to share that experience (without going full Karen)? I just want them to think about passenger comfort. It's unfair and honestly distasteful if people are paying thousands of $$ to get some shuteye, to not even have the decency to close a curtain to allow them to not have a light beaming in their faces.
State the concern and ask for what you want. Nothing Karenish about that.
Buster CT1K likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.