Wiki Posts
Search

Interisland mileage shenanigans

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Interisland mileage shenanigans

I was vaguely aware that HA plays silly games with mileage credit on interisland connecting flights but hadn’t encountered it myself in years. This week I did, in particularly annoying fashion. I had meetings on Maui the first part of the week and the Big Island later in the week. The two trips were separately ticketed, with the outbound to the Big Island departing a couple of hours after the return from Maui. Checking my account this morning, I see one OGG-ITO segment credited rather than the OGG-HNL and HNL-ITO I actually flew.

Earth to HA management: this is the kind of stupid, penny-ante, uncompetitive nonsense that makes people distrust you. It’s not worth fighting, but every time I think of flying with you on overseas routes with competition from real airlines, I think of stuff like this and book away from you. You’re showing glimmers of starting to realize that competition from Southwest might be a signal that you should stop taking local business for granted, but you still have a long way to go.

And sympathy to regular neighbor island to neighbor island flyers who get this garbage all the time.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
They don't care
747FC likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

I know. Just venting.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by WrightHI
I know. Just venting.
On the bright side, you received double miles for OGG-ITO?
This has unfortunately been going on for years and thrown off many a segment runners.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slippahs
On the bright side, you received double miles for OGG-ITO?
This has unfortunately been going on for years and thrown off many a segment runners.
Yes, credited as one segment and 1500 miles with the plat and double miles bonuses. Overall I’m doing fine with HA this year, and it matters very little exactly where in the 70s or 80s my segment count ends up. It just boggles my mind that of all of the things HA could put IT effort into, they chose to build the ability to catch and combine segments from two different tickets so that they can avoiding counting two segments as two segments like any other carrier would. It’s much of a muchness with some of their other departures from competitor norms, like their restrictive rules on elite access to extra comfort on mainland routes or very late clearance of certificate upgrades. Their program design seems to be driven not by competitive considerations but by somebody’s idiosyncratic sense of fairness.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Without minimizing legitimate frustration, my last (infrequent) interisland flight didn't post. Waited the obligatory two weeks plus a bit. Perhaps the easiest online request process of any airline that ever shorted me to request credit. (As I recall not much more than dates and PNR code (although Hawaiian called a PNR code something else)). Didn't check back for a couple more weeks but everything posted with no further communication required or received.

Now the on-ground interaction at Honolulu was as frustrating and slow as I remember.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.