Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

How Long Needed to Check Bags and Get Through Security at OGG for Inter-Island Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Long Needed to Check Bags and Get Through Security at OGG for Inter-Island Flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2022, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

At OGG, when checking in for a 2pm Tuesday afternoon flight on Hawaiian Air flight from OGG-KOA, we may not get there until 1230pm or 1245pm or even later.

Has anyone used the self-check in and self-tag bag kiosks at OGG? Its an American Airlines award ticket on "001" stock for an HA flight. Any issues using the kiosk with that sort of ticket?
-----------------------------------------------

Self-Tagging Kiosks

At select airports, our kiosks will help you self-tag your check-in luggage. The kiosks will guide you through a few easy steps, you'll just need to drop off your bags to the designated Self Tag Bag Drop area to complete your check-in.

Airports with Self-Tagging Kiosks:

Airport Self-Tag Kiosk
Kahului, Maui (OGG) Yes

(https://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app...etail/a_id/294)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does the below from the HA website mean that the minimum CHECKED BAGGAGE time is also 30 minutes for inter-island flights?

----------------------------------------

Minimum Check-in Time

Based on your destination, we have varying minimum check-in times when using the kiosk.
Minimum Kiosk Check-in Time:

Neighbor Island Destinations - 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure

North America Destinations - 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure

----------------------------------------------
Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I've always used an agent at OGG - however, if you do not have pre-check, the afternoon bank of flights to the mainland can mean a lengthy TSA line - although Tuesday isn't as bad as Sunday's.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
At OGG, when checking in for a 2pm Tuesday afternoon flight on Hawaiian Air flight from OGG-KOA, we may not get there until 1230pm or 1245pm or even later.

Has anyone used the self-check in and self-tag bag kiosks at OGG? Its an American Airlines award ticket on "001" stock for an HA flight. Any issues using the kiosk with that sort of ticket?
-----------------------------------------------

Self-Tagging Kiosks

At select airports, our kiosks will help you self-tag your check-in luggage. The kiosks will guide you through a few easy steps, you'll just need to drop off your bags to the designated Self Tag Bag Drop area to complete your check-in.

Airports with Self-Tagging Kiosks:

Airport Self-Tag Kiosk
Kahului, Maui (OGG) Yes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does the below from the HA website mean that the minimum CHECKED BAGGAGE time is also 30 minutes for inter-island flights?

----------------------------------------

Minimum Check-in Time

Based on your destination, we have varying minimum check-in times when using the kiosk.
Minimum Kiosk Check-in Time:

Neighbor Island Destinations - 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure

North America Destinations - 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure

----------------------------------------------
The TSA lines can be crazy long at OGG. Local news has showed pictures of lines that snaked around hundreds of yards long. Be careful. Check TSA wait times:

https://www.dhs.gov/check-wait-times
Old Sep 1, 2022, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OGG goes in waves. Lines will be super long then a couple hours later, no lines at all, then back to long lines. They are worst around the times mainland flights getting ready to leave. I would highly recommend downloading the TSA app onto your phone and monitor line wait times. At least they installed awnings for the TSA lines so people don't get roasted while waiting. Lines at counters are the same, go from way long to almost nothing. I have never left OGG around 2:00 but have arrived around then and lines at that time are usually pretty long. When I arrive about 4:00 there are almost no lines. Fortunately I have pre check so wait times are minimal for when I am flying back to HNL. And according to an email notice I got today the precheck checkpoint is moving, or already has moved, to checkpoint 2 closer to baggage claim an the bottom of the escalator you would take down to exit the airport.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by Baze
And according to an email notice I got today the precheck checkpoint is moving, or already has moved, to checkpoint 2 closer to baggage claim an the bottom of the escalator you would take down to exit the airport.
Can verify that it's moved. A helpful agent pointed me and some other lost souls over that way this morning when we were afraid we were going to have to join the already-long regular line. It's actually pretty slick. You come out of the checkpoint straight onto the escalator rather than having to fight your way through people emerging from the regular checkpoints.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WrightHI
Can verify that it's moved. A helpful agent pointed me and some other lost souls over that way this morning when we were afraid we were going to have to join the already-long regular line. It's actually pretty slick. You come out of the checkpoint straight onto the escalator rather than having to fight your way through people emerging from the regular checkpoints.
Cool, thanks for confirming. Was still at old place last Saturday when I was over there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.