Wiki Posts
Search

Best Business class LAX-HNL?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2022, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Best Business class LAX-HNL?

Morning all.
My Wife and i are planning a trip from the UK to Oahu next year.
We will be flying London to LA and having a couple of days stop off in LA then on to Oahu.
Could anyone recommend which airline/aircraft offers the best Business/First experience from LAX please.
Ideally we'd like lie flat beds or similar and lounge access both in LAX and HNL.
Are there any possibilities that offer both these things.
We will be on cash tickets with no status.
Thanks

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 30, 2022 at 3:28 am Reason: corrected airport code and island name
Old Apr 30, 2022, 1:57 am

Hawaiian Airlines

Fly Hawaiian Airlines. You will want to book on an Airbus A330 aircraft. Those are the first class flights with lie down seats and lounge access with purchase. Their food and on board service is amazing. Mai Tai drinks when you board.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 30, 2022 at 3:28 am
Old Apr 30, 2022, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tinyavenger
Fly Hawaiian Airlines. You will want to book on an Airbus A330 aircraft. Those are the first class flights with lie down seats and lounge access with purchase. Their food and on board service is amazing. Mai Tai drinks when you board.
Thanks- do you definitely get lounge access with Hawaiian? I read that you don't get access at LAX as its considered domestic and the only access is with status.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jones
Thanks- do you definitely get lounge access with Hawaiian? I read that you don't get access at LAX as its considered domestic and the only access is with status.
You should with a first class ticket. I would call Hawaiian Airlines to double check. If you cannot get lounge access, I would still fly Hawaiian. Their seats and service are the best US domestic airline service ever.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tinyavenger
You should with a first class ticket. I would call Hawaiian Airlines to double check. If you cannot get lounge access, I would still fly Hawaiian. Their seats and service are the best US domestic airline service ever.
Great thanks for the info
Old Apr 30, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jones
HA hasn’t had a lounge at LAX for the last several years, and the lounge you’d get at HNL on a domestic first class ticket is pretty minimal. The seat is decent and the service is generally good in flight, but you don’t pick HA for its lounges.
Tanic likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Other than HA, I think United is the only other one that has lie flat seats on this route, and even then not on every flight. They have them on the 777 but not the 757s.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 4:52 pm

Regarding United you will only have a decent product on the 777-300 specifically which is generally one flight a day and is often a redeye- and from what I’ve seen may actually only be going to SFO right now and not LA. Their 777-200 still sports a pathetic 2-4-2 arrangement (albeit lie-flat) in “domestic first.”

I used to fly this route a lot and would almost always fly Hawaiian which is a decent product for only a 5ish hour flight. But yeah don’t be expecting international food/service/lounges (on any domestic US route). US airlines do not provide lounge access for domestic flights, even first (except for HA departing HNL and again it’s very basic).
Old Apr 30, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pesos
US airlines do not provide lounge access for domestic flights, even first
Alaska Airlines does in fact provide lounge access for their flights (which are all domestic) for first class pax.

You won’t get lie-flats on AS though.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by tai4de2
Alaska Airlines does in fact provide lounge access for their flights (which are all domestic) for first class pax.

You won’t get lie-flats on AS though.
True! I forgot about Alaska - pretty much wrote them off after they ruined VX, and never cared for their hard product :-)
Old May 1, 2022, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info everyone.
Looks like Hawaiian is the best option then if we want a bit of comfort.
Old May 1, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Personally - the A330 Hawaiian lie-flat in my opinion is a terrible seat - it is not comfortable. I'd take a United lie-flat over anything Hawaiian offers. I'm hoping the new lie-flat seat on the 787's when they come out are much improved.

Food/beverage would be better on Hawaiian than United.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Personally - the A330 Hawaiian lie-flat in my opinion is a terrible seat - it is not comfortable. I'd take a United lie-flat over anything Hawaiian offers. I'm hoping the new lie-flat seat on the 787's when they come out are much improved.

It’s fine for 4-5 hours - especially as a couple. Sure Polaris is better but most of the 777s United has on Hawaii routes are -200s with the non-Polaris 2-4-2 product which, while lie-flat, is embarrassingly bad. But again, as a couple that option is also passable for this duration of flight if you can get a pair of seats on the side. Either one beats the narrow body options from both carriers as well as anything Alaska/Southwest offers
Old May 1, 2022, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

When are the lie flats on the 787 due to be introduced on the LAX-HNL route?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 2, 2022 at 3:53 am Reason: corrected airport code for HNL
Old May 1, 2022, 11:42 pm

The 787 deliveries have been delayed due to covid, and once they eventually do take delivery they are unlikely to ever be seen on such a short route (except in case of emergency swaps or the like). HA is picking these up to open up longer routes they can't serve with the a330 (Europe). I'm hoping they'll also be deployed to Japan but even that is unlikely unless/until they order more of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.