Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 Escalation in South Korea and Impact to Hawaiian Air Flights/Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-19 Escalation in South Korea and Impact to Hawaiian Air Flights/Operations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat 75k, CA Phoenix Gold

CODID-19 -- what a nightmare! First, it was all about China, China. But now South Korea is raising their disease alert level to 'highest'. Not surprisingly, an increasing number of countries (6) are already blocking entry to foreign travelers arriving from Seoul and our own CDC raised the alert level for travelers to Korea.

Challengingly, I have a booking on HA459 HNL to Seoul in the second week of March, connecting to Munich/Germany via Narita/Helsinki. (On JAL.) I consider myself an experienced 'Far East' traveler, having lived and worked in the region for several years. But given the fast moving situation, I can't really stop myself from getting a little concerned. About my planned 8 day layovers and meetings there where I can maybe take precautions and stay with friends/family. But more about the increasing possibility of being denied entry into Europe with a Korean entry stamp in my passport. (Israel is already blocking arrivals from Seoul. Germany may not be far behind.) Quarantined in Tokyo or Munich? No, thank you!

Would it be prudent for Hawaiian Air to extend the current China Coronavirus travel waiver to flights to/from Korea airports?

Last edited by Alex909; Feb 23, 2020 at 7:45 pm
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:43 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Yes it would be prudent, but I would not expect HA to allow you out of your reservations unless either traffic drops so much that it is not profitable to fly the route, or the CDC ups the threat level.

Good luck with your decision to go or not. In my mind, a change fee would be the least of my worries if I thought I might be stranded in Korea or any other country.

Just in case you haven't seen these threads:

The South Korea COVID-19 thread

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...act-japan.html
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for those links, 747. Very informative. Did some further reading on the situation in Japan. It looks like hundreds of people with possibly questionable infection status from the Diamond Princess were allowed to leave the ship after 14 days -- without any further monitoring or 'soft isolation'. Many of them ended up in Tokyo or Yokohama hotels. This despite the fact that knowledge about how the virus spreads, and how long patients might possibly still be contagious, is still evolving. Oh, my!

Last edited by Alex909; Feb 24, 2020 at 8:34 am
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: HA Platinum, UA Silver
Iʻm on HA 459 this Sat connecting in ICN onto EY to Abu Dhabi and returning in 2 weeks.
Because I have separate tickets I have to go thru immigration.
Monitoring the situation too.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mokuea
Iʻm on HA 459 this Sat connecting in ICN onto EY to Abu Dhabi and returning in 2 weeks.
Because I have separate tickets I have to go thru immigration.
Monitoring the situation too.
Hi. It would be great if you could send a quick update about your experiences going through ICN immigration.

Just checking... Are you considering travel medical insurance?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Yes it would be prudent, but I would not expect HA to allow you out of your reservations unless either traffic drops so much that it is not profitable to fly the route, or the CDC ups the threat level.
CDC just upped the threat level to highest.

Last edited by Alex909; Feb 24, 2020 at 7:23 pm
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Alex909
You beat me to it.

Any decision on your travels?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Any decision on your travels?
Not yet. My Korea portion is not “essential” and not urgent enough to risk going there now, but I might rebook to Japan and minimize my stay there. If the situation there remains more stable, and if I am given the option.
747FC likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:31 am

Programs: QF Platinum
I live in South Korea (Jeju Island - we have 2 confirmed cases at least one of them is from Daegu) I am travelling this weekend - I was originally booked CJU-PUS-NRT and back but canceled and have rebooked on Hawaiian ICN-HNL (plus CJU-GMP). I changed my original plans as I am meeting my Canadian partner and it didn't seem worth the hassle going through Busan when it is so close to Daegu. I have looked (and purchased extra travel insurance beyond my annual policy) to be safe, just in case I have any problems with my Korean departing flight... Coming back shouldn't be a problem...If anyone knows anything I may have missed etc... please let me know ... I really need my holiday with my other half...
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Delta, American, and United issue waivers. Hawaiian follows.

Last edited by Alex909; Feb 25, 2020 at 4:06 pm
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: HA Platinum, UA Silver
I just cxld my trip. I decided it wasnʻt worth the risk potentially being stranded in the Middle East or even worse being quarantined in a foreign country or upon arrival home.
HA gave me a full refund.
OTOH, EY/Etihad (I know itʻs not related to Hawaii-based airlines) has yet to issue any waivers so will probably end up paying the penalty.
747FC likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mokuea
I just cxld my trip. I decided it wasnʻt worth the risk potentially being stranded in the Middle East or even worse being quarantined in a foreign country or upon arrival home.
HA gave me a full refund.
OTOH, EY/Etihad (I know itʻs not related to Hawaii-based airlines) has yet to issue any waivers so will probably end up paying the penalty.
For those who are interested, here is the travel waiver:

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/ale...el-coronavirus

So far, no travel waiver for Japan.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

The HA Incheon flight has now been suspended until May 1st.

I rebooked to Tokyo instead. Will keep you posted.

Last edited by Alex909; Feb 27, 2020 at 12:07 am
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:38 am
Original Poster

It was just reported that 45 of the 970 Diamond Princess cruise ship passengers that were released into Tokyo after their 14 days quarantine ended are now starting to show Covid like symptoms. 14 days cabin quarantine and subsequent viral testing really didn’t work. Will Japanese authorities start monitoring this group of 970 people more carefully now? Lest some of them might end up on Shinkansen trains, on the Tokyo subway system, or on Hawai’i bound flights ! So far, “no formal measures restricting their movement were imposed”.

Given that the outbreak in that population was so dominant — comprising most Japan cases:

Most Covid Cases in Japan are related to the cruise ship population.

Last edited by Alex909; Feb 27, 2020 at 10:27 am
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:06 pm

wow!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.