Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Has Some Really Short HNL Minimum Connection Times

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I was pricing out an OGG-LIH round trip and some of the options involve sub-30 minute connections at HNL. I don't I've ever seen a ticket for sale on any airline with such a short connection

I think I'll pass on that one
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Gates are close and rebooking is straightforward. I might take it.

(Initially I thought might be same aircraft scheduled to operate both flights, but I don’t think they schedule turns quite that tight. They do sometimes turn a late inbound that fast.)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
30 minutes might be ok if you are in F, but not a great option if one is seated in the back of the plane
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:31 am

America West used to publish a minimum connect time of 25 minutes at PHX; I'm not sure if American still does. I'd be more comfortable with a 21 minute HA interisland connection at HNL than a 25 minute connection at PHX.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
It has taken me 20 minutes just to get off a plane seated in 23-A. I hope they’d hold the flight for anyone taking the connection.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
America West used to publish a minimum connect time of 25 minutes at PHX; I'm not sure if American still does. I'd be more comfortable with a 21 minute HA interisland connection at HNL than a 25 minute connection at PHX.
Yes, AA still has very short connection times at PHX -- particularly hard when you are in the back of a full 321.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: HA Platinum
With the way Hawaiian schedules interisland flights this is common. Under 30min. connection times in HNL means that you'll be on the same aircraft and have the same crew for your flight. B717 flight crews usually do 2 - 3 round trips a day between the islands, with each B717 itself being scheduled to do up to 12 cycles a day.

For those who travel from neighbor island to neighbor island there isn't always a direct flight so you have to connect in HNL. The flight attendants will make an announcement onboard after landing saying that those connecting to "Flight Number" to "Destination" may remain onboard and to give your boarding pass to the flight attendants so they can give it to the gate agents to be scanned and returned to you. It's very convenient and you don't have to deplane and board again onto the same aircraft.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta used to have 20 min MCTs for CRJ to CRJ at CVG.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The published MCT for HA at HNL is quite complicated, it varied by flight number, equipment type etc., but the MCT for an ATR operated flight to another ATR operates flight is 20 minutes. The same is true for 717 to 717. So OP your connection is one minute longer than MCT.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
OS in VIE, international to international is 25 min.

It's pretty extraordinary. It even covers non-schengen to schengen connections.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta used to have 20 min MCTs for CRJ to CRJ at CVG.
I actually did one of those 20 years ago...very doable if the inbound flight was ontime. My inbound plane was about 5 mins early. I just walked across the way and, about 5 minutes later, boarded my connecting flight!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: United Platinum
I assume in this case it's likely to be the same plane continuing on to the other island, so no risk of missing the "connection".

[OT] I was amazed yesterday when my wife made a 15 minute connection in Vancouver, coming from Portland and getting to the gate at 12:30pm, going thru passport control, and getting on a flight to Paris departing at 12:45. She was running thru the airport, but made the flight out as they were closing the doors. and her luggage got to Paris also, even more amazing.

Pre-9/11 you could get away with a lot more. My shortest was getting off a train at Schipol airport (Amsterdam) at 8:45pm, buying a ticket, checking a bag, and making it onto a 9:15pm departure to London. More stress than I need in my life these days :-)

Last edited by bpratt; Jul 19, 2018 at 8:55 pm Reason: added info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.