Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Dissatisfied With Hawaiian's Business Class Seats on PPT-HNL Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dissatisfied With Hawaiian's Business Class Seats on PPT-HNL Flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Business Class Seats

My wife and I traveled on Hawaiian Air #482 from Papeete to Honolulu last Saturday evening. We found the business class seats the most uncomfortable we have flown on any airline in recent years. We do not fly on Hawaiian Air very often since we live in Florida--but we were surprised and disappointed.
Is this their best product?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 8, 2018 at 5:18 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:51 am

If you were on the A330-200 then no...it wasn't. the new A330s have proper lie flats it seems....
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
That flight should have had the lie flats. Want to give more detail, like what you found uncomfortable about them?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kumulani
That flight should have had the lie flats. Want to give more detail, like what you found uncomfortable about them?
We were on the 330---the seats were lie flat---but it was like trying to sleep on a wooden board---very uncomfortable!!!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by sugarbird
We were on the 330---the seats were lie flat---but it was like trying to sleep on a wooden board---very uncomfortable!!!
I've been on this plane/in this seat on a number of occasions (but not on this routing). The aesthetics are great...a beautiful seat. Problem is that they obviously did not do beta testing with actual experienced J-flyers or with beta testers who stayed in the seat for 8-10 hours and tried to sleep.

The curved arm rest encroaches on the sleep space. They could have designed the aisle-side arm rest to retract downwards (think, e.g., UA-design lie-flats), providing easier access to the aisle and more shoulder space when sleeping (or trying to sleep as sleep is not guaranteed in this coffin.)

The seats are hard. Rock hard. And narrow due to the 2-2-2 design.

The tablet AVOD system allows for more of a feeling of openness, but one can't use it until it is distributed and after it is collected. Other carriers without tablets allow one to start watching continuously, from when one boards to deplanes.

So while I rate these seats as an A+ in aesthetics, I give them a D in comfort/utility.

I actually rate this seat configuration as the worst lie-flat J product I have flown.

Last edited by 747FC; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:55 am
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sugarbird
We had mattress pads on my recent AKL-HNL redeye on the A330, and I actually slept fairly well on this flight.

The pads hadn't been set up before the flight, but rather were in a plastic package at each seat. I noticed a few people seemed confused by what to do with them... an older lady in 1C had the FA come over so she could ask about it, and the FA just asked her to stand and placed it on the seat for her.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 747FC
Problem is that they obviously did not do beta testing with actual experienced J-flyers or with beta testers who stayed in the seat for 8-10 hours and tried to sleep.
I'm an experienced J flyer and had no major problems with these seats. I wasn't thrilled about how open the cabin seemed to be in photos, but I didn't find this to be much of an issue on board.

The curved arm rest encroaches on the sleep space. They could have designed the aisle-side arm rest to retract downwards (think, e.g., UA-design lie-flats), providing easier access to the aisle and more shoulder space when sleeping (or trying to sleep as sleep is not guaranteed in this coffin.)
I thought one nice feature was that the tray table rotates to roughly a 45 degree angle to allow aisle access even while the table is in use. That's a pretty thoughtful touch, IMO. HA does things a bit differently overall, and I suppose not everyone can be happy with every product, but I'm surprised to see so many negative reviews.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by metallo
thought one nice feature was that the tray table rotates to roughly a 45 degree angle to allow aisle access even while the table is in use. That's a pretty thoughtful touch, IMO. HA does things a bit differently overall, and I suppose not everyone can be happy with every product, but I'm surprised to see so many negative reviews.
My tray table could not be rotated by me or an FA.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:31 pm

My tray table could not be rotated by me or an FA.
Bummer.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:43 pm

I've been on this plane/in this seat on a number of occasions (but not on this routing). The aesthetics are great...a beautiful seat. Problem is that they obviously did not do beta testing with actual experienced J-flyers or with beta testers who stayed in the seat for 8-10 hours and tried to sleep.

The seats are hard. Rock hard. And narrow due to the 2-2-2 design.

The tablet AVOD system allows for more of a feeling of openness, but one can't use it until it is distributed and after it is collected. Other carriers without tablets allow one to start watching continuously, from when one boards to deplanes.

So while I rate these seats as an A+ in aesthetics, I give them a D in comfort/utility.

I actually rate this seat configuration as the worst lie-flat J product I have flown.
I'm curious if you've flown on the UA 2-4-2 J configuration in their older 777s? Specifically in the middle 2 of the 4 seat section. Specifically with a stranger beside you where you share literally half an arm rest.
747FC likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Toddcan
I'm curious if you've flown on the UA 2-4-2 J configuration in their older 777s? Specifically in the middle 2 of the 4 seat section. Specifically with a stranger beside you where you share literally half an arm rest.
Wow, I needed that wake up call! What was I thinking??? Perhaps after having a very uncomfortable attempt at sleeping in the A330, I was not as clear-headed as I should have been.

Actually I've never shared the 2-4-2's middle section with a stranger, but I have a vivid imagination having flown with my wife in the 2-section on that "Devil's Chariot." It is the worst configuration hands-down.

With your help, I'll rephrase my point: While HA's A330 is not the worst lie-flat configuration in the world, it has significant shortcomings that make me question the aesthetic/functional tradeoff decisions of the HA design/implementation committee. It is hoped that future iterations will lead to greater functional utility.

Thank you for the opportunity to reflect on my transgressions, collect my thoughts and hopefully inspire a future generation of cabin designers.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:22 pm

Wow, I needed that wake up call! What was I thinking??? Perhaps after having a very uncomfortable attempt at sleeping in the A330, I was not as clear-headed as I should have been.

Actually I've never shared the 2-4-2's middle section with a stranger, but I have a vivid imagination having flown with my wife in the 2-section on that "Devil's Chariot." It is the worst configuration hands-down.

With your help, I'll rephrase my point: While HA's A330 is not the worst lie-flat configuration in the world, it has significant shortcomings that make me question the aesthetic/functional tradeoff decisions of the HA design/implementation committee. It is hoped that future iterations will lead to greater functional utility.

Thank you for the opportunity to reflect on my transgressions, collect my thoughts and hopefully inspire a future generation of cabin designers.
Lol

Naw, it's really a lot simpler than that. I really was curious, because I flew in the middle 2 with DW on one side, and stranger on the other side. Although I am sure we was a nice enough guy, I didn't like his left elbow, and he surely didn't like my right elbow. I'm not joking.. the arm rest is only a sliver width on each seat. Godo thing he wasn't a left-handed eater. But they are lay flats and were decent from the comfort perspective.

We plan on going to Hawaii a fair amount in the future, and HA is normally pretty pricey on those lay flats, so I am looking into the options. I appreciate the information. Cheers!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Toddcan
Lol

Naw, it's really a lot simpler than that. I really was curious, because I flew in the middle 2 with DW on one side, and stranger on the other side. Although I am sure we was a nice enough guy, I didn't like his left elbow, and he surely didn't like my right elbow. I'm not joking.. the arm rest is only a sliver width on each seat. Godo thing he wasn't a left-handed eater. But they are lay flats and were decent from the comfort perspective.

We plan on going to Hawaii a fair amount in the future, and HA is normally pretty pricey on those lay flats, so I am looking into the options. I appreciate the information. Cheers!
The UA 2-person side is good if travelling with a loved one. I really like the way UA designs the aisle seat with the fold-down armrest, which makes access to the aisle easier, and isle access more comfortable. UA also has a superior AVOD product which does not require juggling the console and having the FA's remove them an hour or so before landing. Good grief! But, 2-4-2 is ridiculous in this age of 1-2-1s.
Toddcan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.