Random seat reassignment: Is this common?

Old Jun 10, 17, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Random seat reassignment: Is this common?

I had booked my daughter and new son-in-law on HA SEA-LIH-SEA for Dec. '17 in confirmed 11HJ/5AB/5AB/15AB. Randomly, I checked on the flights booked for Mrs. NWKauai and myself (F-class and hoping for lie-flat!) on same flights and noticed much to my surprise that the seats where my daughter and son-in-law were booked were now open! After a brief moment of panic thinking I had booked the wrong flight, I checked on their other flights and all of their confirmed seats on each of the segments had been changed to the rear of the aircraft. The mainland flights were moved back to row 40, and the inter-island were moved back to row 20(ish). I confirmed with my daughter that neither of them changed the seats (they did not) and after some texting back and forth with a HA Cust Rep (another weird experience in itself), all the seats were moved back to as per the original booking. Which leads me to the following questions:
Are randomly changing seats a frequent or even occasional occurrence that I have just not experienced to date?
Wouldn't or shouldn't some credit have been issued when the seats were changed, or some notification alert email/text etc. be sent?
Should I continue to check on flights to make sure the seats purchased are not changed again?

Last edited by nwkauaiboy; Jun 10, 17 at 10:03 am
Old Jun 11, 17, 6:23 pm

Did you book Main Cabin or Extra Comfort for your daughter and son-in-law? Rows 11 and 15 on the A330 are Extra Comfort, while row 5 on the 717 is considered a Preferred Seat. Both of which you have to pay extra for over regular Main Cabin seats.
Old Jun 11, 17, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Booked Extra Comfort for SEA-HNL and HNL-SEA, and preferred on the HNL-LIH and LIH-HNL. Selected, paid and I thought, confirmed. Fast forward a couple months, and they were in row 40 on the SEA-HNL and HNL-SEA legs, and in 20's on HNL-LIH and LIH-HNL. Customer Service straightened it out, but should I keep checking for a repeat error because this is a common occurrence, or should I chalk it up to a fluke and not worry?

Last edited by nwkauaiboy; Jun 11, 17 at 9:55 pm

Search this Thread