Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaian airlines Miles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017 | 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Hawaian airlines Miles

Hi, I was looking at purchasing two hawaian airlines tickets from las vegas to Maui in late June. A few days ago the miles were 50,000 for each ticket. Now today there are zero coach seats available using miles from las vegas and every city I have checked in neighboring states also has zero coach fares using miles. Yesterday ,any cities nearby had fares with miles. It seems that only first class seats are left and the miles have almost doubled for these since yesterday as well. I have looked for a week before and a week after and flying into other islands. Seems strange that in one day every fare that is for miles has been booked. Does anyone know if Hawaian airlines routinely does this and doesn't offer fares with miles? Also, is it possible that these flights will open seats with miles again on coach. I have no experience with this and any information would be helpful.
Old Mar 28, 2017 | 9:26 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
You are right, I checked 4-5 dates JFK-HNL over the next 330 days and most of them had no availability or were 60K mi in coach. Could not find SFO-HNL availability at all.

Hoping it's a glitch.
Old Mar 29, 2017 | 7:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Hi, I actually noticed something similar today and came here to see if anybody could offer any insight into it.

About a week ago, I was seeing options for OGG-HNL-JFK in late October/early November for 20k points in coach every single day for over a week. Now, today, I look and there aren't any flights for 20k points and only for 40k.

Did the issues that either of the previous two posters see get cleared up now or is it still showing very limited availability for your situations?

Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2017 | 10:22 pm

Still seeing elevated levels.

There's a sale going on now, I wonder if they have retracted some low level saver awards for the sale?
Old Mar 30, 2017 | 7:21 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Interesting theory and I hope you're right! Do you know when that sale ends?
Old Mar 30, 2017 | 7:56 am

Sale ends today. But they have sales pretty regularly so if that's the cause it's probably unintended- I've never noticed a correlation before.

follow [MENTION=299594]hawaiian[/MENTION]Fares for the sales
Old Mar 31, 2017 | 3:12 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
I have noticed this as well -- I was doing some long range planning for an outbound flight next year PHX/HNL -- the only tickets on the day I was originally looking for were 80K first class, for this flight I was looking at coach. I was able to choose to leave one day earlier and book the two seats in coach at 17.5K miles. Really sort of strange. I mean my earlier plan was outbound on a weekend and I expected to need 25K miles, but gosh, a steep price for those without flexibility.

For that matter, the rest of the trip I have planned includes HNL/CNS with an overnight in Sydney.

Well if I used HNL miles it would have been 130K business class from HNL to SYD. Instead, using AA miles, it was 65K for both legs (HNL/SYD, then the next day SYD/CNS).

There seem to be times when HA is not real nice to its FF folks.
Old Mar 31, 2017 | 6:42 pm
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by BarryAZ
There seem to be times when HA is not real nice to its FF folks.
Pains me to say, but it is "most of the time..."
Old Apr 2, 2017 | 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
Interesting theory and I hope you're right! Do you know when that sale ends?
The sale ended 3 days ago and I'm still seeing this problem. Only 1st class award flights are available for 80,000 one way to Portland
Old Apr 6, 2017 | 7:20 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to post a quick update that the mileage rates that I was looking at (which are different than the OP) are back to what they were a couple weeks ago. There are now many options in both directions in late October/early November for 20k ow from JFK-HNL-OGG-HNL-JFK. Not sure what caused all of the "cheap" space to disappear for a couple weeks, but it appears to be back at least in my case.
Old Apr 6, 2017 | 9:19 pm

Phew, thanks for reporting! BTW that JFK-HNL/OGG flight in June is 35K now if you have the HA credit card.
Old Apr 8, 2017 | 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by joachimm
You are right, I checked 4-5 dates JFK-HNL over the next 330 days and most of them had no availability or were 60K mi in coach. Could not find SFO-HNL availability at all.

Hoping it's a glitch.
I just got off the phone with an agent, as I am trying this exact route (either in two chunks, SFO-HNL or JFK-HNL... or the same, SFO-NAR or JFK-NAR), and it was useless. There was nothing.

I haven't used points before, except as gifts from family members, and somewhat chalked it up to my having done something wrong. But I just posted a while thread about this and joined this forum to try to figure it out.

This isn't normal, right? It cost me $90+ to sign up for this card, it says there are no "blackout dates," but there are also none available that I can see, at all, and I started looking online last December for June flights?

Is this pointless? How can I use my miles?

Here is the thread I just posted before seeing that there was a forum just for Hawaiian that really lays it out: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...mine-what.html

Help, if anyone has any ideas! I am flexible and willing to backtrack a bit or do weird travel things to redeem my miles.
Old Apr 8, 2017 | 9:03 pm

You should use the Hawaiian website for award availability.

One thing I do if availability is tight is to search one-way awards. Once you find a few one-way saver awards, then search for the return trip as a one way and try to match them up as a round trip. If there's no availability on your dates, the website throws a warning and sends you back to the home page so the one-way search is a little more forgiving.

Another tip is to either use the HA website or google flights to find the lowest cash fares in a month or two range and then use those dates to try and find awards; there is a strong correlation between low fares and award availability.

I see lots of availability in June for JFK-HNL right now under 60K- 35K, 42,500, 47,500 generally around the 13th-22nd.

Not sure about award flights to NRT- that you may need to call HA for.
Old Apr 10, 2017 | 12:55 am

Originally Posted by wanderingstar
I just got off the phone with an agent, as I am trying this exact route (either in two chunks, SFO-HNL or JFK-HNL... or the same, SFO-NAR or JFK-NAR), and it was useless. There was nothing.

I haven't used points before, except as gifts from family members, and somewhat chalked it up to my having done something wrong. But I just posted a while thread about this and joined this forum to try to figure it out.

This isn't normal, right? It cost me $90+ to sign up for this card, it says there are no "blackout dates," but there are also none available that I can see, at all, and I started looking online last December for June flights?

Is this pointless? How can I use my miles?

Here is the thread I just posted before seeing that there was a forum just for Hawaiian that really lays it out: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...mine-what.html

Help, if anyone has any ideas! I am flexible and willing to backtrack a bit or do weird travel things to redeem my miles.
A little off topic, but if you are trying to fly to HNL and you have a companion, don't forget about your 50% off companion ticket to Hawaii. You can use that promo to save a few hundred bucks on your flight, then use your miles to book an award flight elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.