Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HA Contemplating More East Coast Routes...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

From Star Advertiser-

Hawaiian Airlines looking to add flights to the U.S. East Coast after 2017....

.....new routes to major Eastern cities will “become more central in our consideration in the next 18 months,” Chief Executive Officer Mark Dunkerley said.

.....“We have the ambition to start more service to the U.S. East Coast.”

The arrival of 16 A321neo jets starting in 2017 would allow the route expansion, Dunkerley said. The narrow-body Airbus Group SE plane has the range to reach the West Coast from Hawaii — a 2,600-mile trip. In turn, some of the bigger, long-distance Airbus A330-200 jets currently serving those routes can be redeployed to the East Coast, he said.......

Hawaiian sees ..... opportunity in .... Philadelphia, Washington and Boston, as well as in Austin, Texas, and in Toronto and Montreal..... it isn’t clear if Hawaiian will start routes in those specific cities, Dunkerley said.....

....Hawaiian also is in the market for more Boeing Co. 717 jets, which it uses for flights between the Hawaiian islands, he said.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by tdowl5757
From Star Advertiser-

Hawaiian Airlines looking to add flights to the U.S. East Coast after 2017....

.....new routes to major Eastern cities will “become more central in our consideration in the next 18 months,” Chief Executive Officer Mark Dunkerley said.

.....“We have the ambition to start more service to the U.S. East Coast.”

The arrival of 16 A321neo jets starting in 2017 would allow the route expansion, Dunkerley said. The narrow-body Airbus Group SE plane has the range to reach the West Coast from Hawaii — a 2,600-mile trip. In turn, some of the bigger, long-distance Airbus A330-200 jets currently serving those routes can be redeployed to the East Coast, he said.......

Hawaiian sees ..... opportunity in .... Philadelphia, Washington and Boston, as well as in Austin, Texas, and in Toronto and Montreal..... it isn’t clear if Hawaiian will start routes in those specific cities, Dunkerley said.....

....Hawaiian also is in the market for more Boeing Co. 717 jets, which it uses for flights between the Hawaiian islands, he said.

Boston... PLEASE! (As I sit here on my lanai listening to the ocean lap up on Waikiki plotting my next vacation here and dreaming of a direct flight from an airport a mere 7 minute ride from my house!)

I'm trying to figure out though with those 3 East Coast airports all being an hour from NY via B6 why they'd come to BOS/PHL/IAD (an A330 at DCA WOULD be a sight to behold though ;-p) rather than increase frequency on the JFK run-where that's been such a success for them. I'm guessing slots and timing the departure/arrival of two or more flights are some reasons not to double down at JFK. Plus they must feel they've got the traffic potential to give it a go! At any rate it's a really exciting thing to hear from HA!

IIRC-as far as TOR/MTL there's only seasonal direct flights if any at all-I seem to remember looking that up before and seeing a stop in VAN.

Again-really exciting stuff for an airline that stands out in terms of their product and service in economy/premium economy lite and will leapfrog the competition up front as well when they get the lie flats in the next year or so...

For the 717's-I think I read that Volotea is going all Airbus and HA may have the opportunity to grab some from them when the time comes.

All the investor day slides/pdf's are available on the HA Investor website! Go have a look see!

I'm sure hoping more knowledgeable folks will chime in and add here! Look at you Azj and Slippahs

Last edited by FBWFTW; Dec 5, 2015 at 4:14 am Reason: Added piece about HA investor day
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Looking forward to having nonstop Washington DC to Honolulu service someday in the future. BOS-HNL will make a lot of sense as I notice there seems to be growing Hawaiian population moving to the Northeast, especially the upper regions of the Northeast.

HA should not forget there are potential markets for nonstop service from Chicago, Dallas or Houston. It depends on the carriers HA would like to connect with....
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
BOS-HNL will make a lot of sense as I notice there seems to be growing Hawaiian population moving to the Northeast, especially the upper regions of the Northeast
That's music to my ears!
I certainly hope I can swing the lie flats for our 5th anniversary! At least one way if not RT... I'm eagerly anticipating the new seating chart to see if some of the new extra comfort will still have row 11 type room... Best seats
in the house are row 11 right now!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Looking forward to having nonstop Washington DC to Honolulu service someday in the future. BOS-HNL will make a lot of sense as I notice there seems to be growing Hawaiian population moving to the Northeast, especially the upper regions of the Northeast.

HA should not forget there are potential markets for nonstop service from Chicago, Dallas or Houston. It depends on the carriers HA would like to connect with....
The question will be how much HA will want to compete with UA and AA on these routes to ORD, DFW, or IAH and O/D traffic potential out of these markets.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:22 pm
azj

Originally Posted by slippahs
The question will be how much HA will want to compete with UA and AA on these routes to ORD, DFW, or IAH and O/D traffic potential out of these markets.
Exactly. There's a very good reason why HAL hasn't really ventured into the fortress hubs of other airlines.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
More Canadian to Hawaiian routes

Well...it would certainly be terrific if Hawaiian established routes from YYZ, or YUL to HNL. The populations of each center could certainly sustain this route ..year round. The dismal seasonal offering by AC/AC Rouge would be put on notice...to say the least.
Ideally if Hawaiian was to expand...to Canada, I would like to see a YVR-HNL routing. This is the jumping off point for Western Canada...and would see a fair bit of traffic.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Executrip
Well...it would certainly be terrific if Hawaiian established routes from YYZ, or YUL to HNL. The populations of each center could certainly sustain this route ..year round. The dismal seasonal offering by AC/AC Rouge would be put on notice...to say the least.
Ideally if Hawaiian was to expand...to Canada, I would like to see a YVR-HNL routing. This is the jumping off point for Western Canada...and would see a fair bit of traffic.
I'm sure someone can correct me-but I think on a YVR route-if they're starting up, they could certainly toss an A321neo on there to gauge interest and then quickly upgauge to an A330 if/when necessary.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 3:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Imagine if Daniel Inouye were still around he'd be able to muster HA into DCA. But would HA make it back n/s on such a short runway? Not so sure about that...
Old Dec 12, 2015, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Imagine if Daniel Inouye were still around he'd be able to muster HA into DCA. But would HA make it back n/s on such a short runway? Not so sure about that...
I believe the biggest thing allowed at DCA is a 763 (the first ever scheduled widebody flight was in 2008-a Delta 763) I know it HAD a perimeter rule similar to LGA (1250/1500nmi) and McCain I think either got rid of it OR there are certain exceptions to the rule.
Someone can feel free to chip in on this one!
The A332 that HA would presumably be bringing would certainly be better off
operationally speaking (and perhaps capacity wise as well) at BWI/IAD.
Here's the 763 arriving.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=loud0P1mZdw
Old Dec 12, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Imagine if Daniel Inouye were still around he'd be able to muster HA into DCA.
Did you mean "muscle?"
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by FBWFTW
I know it HAD a perimeter rule similar to LGA (1250/1500nmi) and McCain I think either got rid of it OR there are certain exceptions to the rule.
DCA's perimeter restriction is, sadly, alive and well. You are correct, however, in that there are a limited number of exemptions. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald...r_restrictions
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by 747FC
Did you mean "muscle?"
No, muster.

Daniel Inouye and Ted Stevens would 'muster the troops' aka Senators to pass legislation favoring the noncontinental United States. This IMO is fitting as both Senators served time in the military, and many respected them.

http://www.newsminer.com/alaska-s-th...4f6ff8d4f.html

Was curious which was the largest aircraft into DCA... 767 hmm.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
No, muster.

Daniel Inouye and Ted Stevens would 'muster the troops' aka Senators to pass legislation favoring the noncontinental United States. This IMO is fitting as both Senators served time in the military, and many respected them.

http://www.newsminer.com/alaska-s-th...4f6ff8d4f.html

Was curious which was the largest aircraft into DCA... 767 hmm.
I thought that the 767 was just a proving flight, to show that it was feasible. I didn't think that there were any regularly scheduled wide body aircraft operating into DCA. AFAIK, the largest regularly scheduled aircraft is a 757. The runway at DCA is very short.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
I thought that the 767 was just a proving flight, to show that it was feasible. I didn't think that there were any regularly scheduled wide body aircraft operating into DCA. AFAIK, the largest regularly scheduled aircraft is a 757. The runway at DCA is very short.
This could be 110% true! I initially typed 757 and then did a bit of research-so you could be correct... I can almost guarantee there will be NO Hawaiian A330's going to DCA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.