Wiki Posts
Search

Good use for unused HA miles...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: All of 'em
Good use for unused HA miles...

I just discovered that at Points.com, you can redeem around 11,000 miles for a $25 gift card at Subway or Target, among others.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
IMHO, redeeming 10,000 HA miles for a low-level roundtrip coach interisland ticket, or a one-way low-level one-way First interisland award is a MUCH better redemption option.

However, if you never plan on visiting Hawaii again, a Subway or Target gift card is better than nothing.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Max M
IMHO, redeeming 10,000 HA miles for a low-level roundtrip coach interisland ticket, or a one-way low-level one-way First interisland award is a MUCH better redemption option.

However, if you never plan on visiting Hawaii again, a Subway or Target gift card is better than nothing.
I'm sorry, but on what planet is Y class inter-island 5K per way on HA miles?

Yes, it's 5K via AA and 6K via UA miles (HA metal), but at HA miles it costs 7.5K (F class is 15K).
https://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/...rtnerChart.jsp
http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/hawa...px#award-chart

Mainland-Hawaii costs only 17.5K per way on AA miles (even on HA metal!) but a whopping 20K on HA miles.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/...ward-chart.jsp

I do plan on visiting Hawaii regularly (was just there in Nov and Dec), but HA miles are slightly devalued against other programs, IMHO. So I'm better off getting GC's.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Yeah, that's not a great exchange rate.

11,000 for a $25 gift card? I redeemed 36,500 of another airline's miles for a $250 Macy's card this holiday season. I think that was enough for my wife to get at least two tubes of lipstick...
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanTravels
11,000 for a $25 gift card? I redeemed 36,500 of another airline's miles for a $250 Macy's card this holiday season. I think that was enough for my wife to get at least two tubes of lipstick...
Yikes, that's too many miles for too little lipstick! Anyway, 11K is a fairly small sacrifice to get say, $25 worth of groceries at a Super Target. As discussed above, 11K HA miles gets you a Y one-way inter-island ticket (7.5K) that would've cost only $65 as a rev.

I have enough miles at other airlines that even let me redeem on HA metal, and for LESS miles, so yeah...I'm going to convert spare HA miles into cards.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Great - enjoy your groceries, maybe if you redeem enough you can get a large enough GC to buy a bottle of champagne and have a true F experience at home. While you enjoy that its one less person for the rest of us to fight over award space with. ^ for all!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alpen1
Great - enjoy your groceries, maybe if you redeem enough you can get a large enough GC to buy a bottle of champagne and have a true F experience at home. While you enjoy that its one less person for the rest of us to fight over award space with. ^ for all!
Why are you demonizing my post? I was only talking about a discovery I made for some spare miles, a measly 11K. You wrote as if I've dedicated my life to dumping my tens of thousands of HA miles.

Let's focus on the post at face value - and not be so combative, OK? Oh, and condescending.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:26 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Aloha spirit, all, please.

cblaisd
Co-Moderator, Hawaii-based Airlines forum
Old Mar 8, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by MileageManager
I'm sorry, but on what planet is Y class inter-island 5K per way on HA miles?
No need to be sorry; these were awards at the levels I stated on planet Earth on HA, circa 2007.

This was the last time I redeemed HA miles for an interisland award, and at the time, the miles I quoted for the awards were current.

But obviously since this my word my seem difficult for you to believe, look at a newsletter from Hawaiian Ailrines for yourself:

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/Haw...ts/1st2006.pdf

[mention of the 5,000 one-way interisland coach award is on page 2 of the newsletter]

Since not personally redeeming HA miles in the past 7 years, it's clear the interisland awards using HA miles have gone up in price. [and I was incorrect about current HA miles required for interisland travel using HA miles]

Last edited by Max M; Mar 8, 2014 at 3:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.