Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Questions (History, Reliability, etc.) About Island Air

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2013, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Searched but just found lots of posts about island
Anyway we are going hnl to Maui in feb and looking at flights island air's are around $50 less than others
I know they use small planes but that's ok, like to fly low and sightsee
But does anyone have info about reliance, safety, etc. How long in business?
Thanks

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 3, 2013 at 7:04 pm Reason: vague thread title
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:27 pm

Like you, I live in NJ and have taken Island Air while in HI a handful of times usually between Maui and Oahu. Island Air is ok, probably on par with Colgan or CommutAir which operate out of EWR. At least Island Air has a rich owner bankrolling it, so you can rest assured that he doesn't want any bad public relations:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/b...-talks-to.html
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:40 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
HA is an option. They may be more expensive, but you get a more sophisticated product.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Bottom line is that it's a 20 minute flight. At risk when flying WP is timeliness of arrival. If you believe $50 is worth that risk, go with WP over HA.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:42 am

Island air

I like HA better but the wallet likes Island Air better.
Theyre both fine however HA is more regular
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:30 pm

This is purely anecdotal, but I've flown Island Air maybe 3 times, and 2 out of the 3 times the flight was delayed 2+ hours (from LIH to HNL). Nothing wrong with the plane or the service though.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: moka Lifetime
Anyone fly with them recently? They have great availability on UA awards. HA nt so much.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by moka
Anyone fly with them recently? They have great availability on UA awards. HA nt so much.
Flew them a week ago OGG-HNL as part of a paid OGG-HNL-EWR itnierary on UA stock. Their computer system was down at OGG so check in took a while and we used hand written boarding passes. Other than that the flight was pleasant, on time, and uneventful. The RDMs even credited to my UA account in spite of the flight being coded with a WP flight number ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.