Search

Island Air Questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*
Island Air Questions

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for opinions on Island Air. (FlyinHawaiin was kind enough to answer some via PM, but also suggested I get your opinions).

Booked with wife and daughter (DEN-HNL on UA) then on to OGG on WP over Easter break. (Return WP OGG-HNL, then UA HNL-DEN).

I've searched this thread and have a lot of useful information on them, but I'm concerned about their reliability, especially in making our connection back to DEN at HNL. (we're on award tickets).

HA does have some award inventory HNL-OGG, would you all think HA would be more reliable?

On the return, wife and daughter are on WP flight that lands in HNL at 5:45 pm. I'm on the flight that lands at 7:50 pm (due to award inventory).

What are my chances of going stand by on their flight?
My concern is if my flight is late or cancelled, I'll miss the HNL-DEN flight on UA.

What are your thoughts on switching us all to the HA (HNL-OGG), award tix, and then just purchasing HA (OGG-HNL) one way tickets to make sure we make our HNL-DEN UA flight? (I know I'd have to pay bag fees on HA and claim and re-check with UA at HNL, but I'm feeling this may be the better option.

Thoughts?

Thank you all.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: NW gold
We just completed a roundtrip to Lanai with WP and have flown them on 3 of our last 4 trips to the islands over the past year. As much as I like Island air, right now they are operationally challenged. They are down to 2 Dash aircraft and are still waiting for FAA certification for its new ATR 72. Because of this, they have had to continually change their flight schedule. If you look at their schedule beginning 2/19/13 - it's a very limited schedule (and doesn't include your OGG flights). They have been doing this since late 2012.

Our flight to Lanai was cancelled as they were down to one aircraft (due to mechanical issues) that particular day. The ended up combining our Lanai flight with a Molokai flight. We made it to Lanai but 2-3 hours late and with an extra stop in Molokai along the way.

I would go with HA if I were in yor position.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Thank you

Thank you DTWpistons,

That's the way I'm leaning. I'll give UA a call today and work on switching to the available HA award flight HNL-OGG, and try to drop the WP return to HNL and buy a separate one way on HA.

Just for clarification, award inventory on HA shows up in the (T) bucket, correct?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Well, Island Air may have to cancel 50% of their flights this weekend... I'd suggest booking on Mokulele before they are full!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:59 pm

This doesn't sound promising. I have award travel booked on these guys through UA in August from KOA to HNL. I looked on Island Airs website for the published schedule at that time but the site doesn't list that flight or a clear indication the flight exists. If you try to book direct for the flight, 171 on August 25th says its not available. Could it be fully booked already?

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Well, Island Air may have to cancel 50% of their flights this weekend... I'd suggest booking on Mokulele before they are full!
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...s_weekend.html

They say they will be fine...not sure if I buy it.

I spoke with UA agent, the award inventory I saw on HA was for HA members only and not available to UA. I think I'm going to book my own paid flights on HA for inter island, and keep the UA award segments. UA agent said if I want to do that, book on HA then call UA back within the 24 hours I have to cancel HA tix! Just to be safe. UA will need to get supervisor to adjust my PNR since award space is no longer available.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Don't forget that "normal" for Island Air means 25% of flights are cancelled, 25% are on time, and 50% are delayed.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
Thank goodness I saw this thread! My niece was booked on UA from BOS-ORD-HNL and then on Island Air to OGG. I just checked the reservation online and now the Island Air segment is gone and I was never notified. I’m on the phone with UA right now.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by skiermsm
Thank goodness I saw this thread! My niece was booked on UA from BOS-ORD-HNL and then on Island Air to OGG. I just checked the reservation online and now the Island Air segment is gone and I was never notified. I’m on the phone with UA right now.
Please let us know what you found out and what UA told you
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:24 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
See this post for the resolution: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post20300115

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.