Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Book HA using AA, will I get free baggage if I'm Gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-LT Platinum, SPG-Gold

I guess the title sums it up, but here's details: We'll be doing inter-island flights from HNL to OGG, then from OGG to LIH. If I book thru AA website, will my status "pass thru" to HA and I won't have to pay for baggage on the inter-island flights? The flights are more expensive, but not as much as baggage would cost.

Thank you - and be gentle, this is my first post after lurking for quite a while.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Originally Posted by gp01
I guess the title sums it up, but here's details: We'll be doing inter-island flights from HNL to OGG, then from OGG to LIH. If I book thru AA website, will my status "pass thru" to HA and I won't have to pay for baggage on the inter-island flights? The flights are more expensive, but not as much as baggage would cost.

Thank you - and be gentle, this is my first post after lurking for quite a while.
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is "no". The only elites exempt from baggage fees on HA are...HA's elites. Even UA 1Ks and AA EXPs (both 100,000 mile tier flyers) get charged baggage fees when flying HA.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you're connecting in HNL thru to Maui, the bags'll go for no additional charge. You'll pay the fee(s) each and every time you check in for a Haw'n flight. If you are just transitting HNL, you can buy AA ticket and then the cheaper (ie non-AA codeshare) HA flight seperately. When you check in on mainland, you'll have to get an agent to tag the bags onto the connecting (and seperately ticketed) HA flight. Just show him/her the other itiniery. If you are saying in Honolulu...nevermind....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.