Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian announces HNL-Auckland Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU120...n-airlines.htm

They're on a roll, best of luck to them.

It occurred to me with these new routes, they could be a legitimate player for connections to down under. If I'm going JFK-SYD/AKL/BNE in Y, HA with a day stopover in HNL seems incredibly appealing.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU120...n-airlines.htm

They're on a roll, best of luck to them.

It occurred to me with these new routes, they could be a legitimate player for connections to down under. If I'm going JFK-SYD/AKL/BNE in Y, HA with a day stopover in HNL seems incredibly appealing.
ABSOLUTELY - excellent news.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow...What a surprise!! They keep expanding more new route from HNL. Remember HA has already previously announced BNE and now this.

Kudos to HA!!! Keep'em it coming!!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
Giving NZ some competition on this route will be a good thing - let's hope that HA doesn't "pull a Qantas" and bail out later!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Excellent news! I wonder if NZ's decision to go S2S on this route was done with this in mind.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Hmm now that would be a cool flight - perhaps the speculation of FA's (dreams I think ) on ADK-ANC last night could come to fruition of a Pualani and Eskimo merger one-stop ANC-AKL has a nice ring to it
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
It's about time and this is great news. Note: sometime back on this forum, someone mentioned that HA was hiring a manager to be stationed in AKL. Well, now we know why.

Also, the initial service will be operated by 767-300ERs. I believe HA has their 767 heavy maintenance base in AKL. HA used to fly 767s in revenue service from HNL to SYD. Then, HA leased the same plane on an NZ operated flight on HA metal from SYD to AKL, so that the 767 could go into a maintenance check in AKL. Well, if the maintenance base is still in AKL, HA can just fly the plane in HA revenue service there and have them checked as part of their rotation schedule.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Hmm now that would be a cool flight - perhaps the speculation of FA's (dreams I think ) on ADK-ANC last night could come to fruition of a Pualani and Eskimo merger one-stop ANC-AKL has a nice ring to it
I've always thought that HA and AS should merge! I have no idea what you would actually name the airline, but I think they would be a good fit.

Congrats to HA on the new HNL-AKL service!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by beckoa
If you fight hard enough with kayak.com you can craft an ANC-HNL-AU/NZ itinerary using the AS nonstop to Honolulu; it's definitely the best way to get down under from Alaska, particularly since we've lost our Asia nonstop service.

That said, it would be nice to do it on one carrier!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Looks like tickets for AKL went on sale today, with HNL-AKL fares starting at just under $1,000USD RT.

Also, it appears the flight times allow for facilitated connections to the entire HA west-coast network:

HA445
HNL-AKL (Mon,Wed,Fri)
Depart 1:45pm
Arrive 9:55pm+1

HA446
AKL-HNL (Tue,Thu,Sat)
Depart 11:55pm
Arrive 9:45am
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:23 pm

I've noticed that most of the prices are in > $1,000+ range. I was hoping they would have introductory prices that would be a little lower.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:50 am

discounted fares for HawaiianMiles members/partners with Virgin Australia

From an email I received today:

We're adding new routes to Auckland, New Zealand, and Brisbane, Australia and we want you to help us celebrate! HawaiianMiles members can redeem either a $500 off E-Certificate for roundtrip Business Class travel or a $200 off E-Certificate for Coach roundtrip travel to Auckland, Brisbane, or Sydney, Australia.
Our new routes to Auckland and Brisbane open a world of unique experiences for our members. Brisbane is the gateway to Australia's most popular attractions like the Gold Coast and the Great Barrier Reef. In New Zealand, try exploring the country's unique and beautiful landscape in an auto tour.
Let us take you to our newest destinations aboard our roomy, widebody jets where you are never more than one seat from an aisle. Once in Australia or New Zealand, you can explore other cities in the region with our new partner Virgin Australia. HawaiianMiles members can earn HawaiianMiles on any Virgin Australia route.
Sydney or Brisbane, Australia
Booking Period: Aug 1 – Aug 14, 2012
Travel Period: Nov 29, 2012 – Jun 30, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
Booking Period: Aug 1 – Aug 14, 2012
Travel Period: Mar 15 – Jun 30, 2013
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:27 am

didn't get the email, but the e-certs are in my account.

-David
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by thatsajoke
I've noticed that most of the prices are in > $1,000+ range. I was hoping they would have introductory prices that would be a little lower.
Ouch! It's too expensive, huh? You have find another airline to get a real cheap fare.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:38 pm

Business class from US West Coast to AKL is currently on sale for $3600 a.i. round trip.

A free stopover is permitted in each direction in HNL.

Looks like a good deal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.