Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HA connecting flight bag charges (& MAJOR change to inter-line policy as of 6/1/12)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HA connecting flight bag charges (& MAJOR change to inter-line policy as of 6/1/12)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2mm
Thumbs down they just lost me

As an OGG resident, I've done considerable mainland and international routing via HNL (UA 1K), all of which entailed inter-island hops on HA. In part, I did this to support a local business.
Going forward, however, I'll be routing directly with mainland carriers because it simply isn't worth the risks and hassles associated with checking bags twice. Hawaiian will lose far more business from me than the corresponding cost savings. Memo to Hawaiian: stop being so customer unfriendly, it's going to hurt all of us who live on the islands and rely on tourism.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by dochazmat
I wanted to clarify something that has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but that I cannot find on HA's Web site: is the plan that HA will stop accepting bags that have been interlined to them from another carrier?
That's what they are saying. Nobody here has any idea how/if it will work.

Your case is even more complicated because it's an international itinerary which are governed by different rules.

Originally Posted by misdirected baggage
As an OGG resident, ...
With location "EWR"?

-David
Old May 17, 2012, 9:03 am

I'd be REALLY surprised, if on any interline baggage transfer, if a downstream airline would reject a bag tagged for it's airline (assuming the airlines have interlining agreements). I have to think the best Hawaiian can do is send letters to all the airlines, instructing them not to tag bags that are on different PNR's.

I'd have to re-read the original reason HA gave for this change, but from what I remember, I thought it was basically so it looked like they were in compliance with the FAA regulation. If they can say that they informed all the other airlines, that might be good enough to challenge any complaint brought against them.

And of course, this only benefits inbound flights to Hawaii, where if either the airline or an agent tags your bags all the way through, you're probably in good shape. I'd have to think on departure, if you are flying HA then connecting to a mainland-based airline, if your ducks aren't in a row then, you'll be picking up and checking in twice.

Jeff
Old May 17, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Hawaii has always been a big destination for mileage reward trips on all the airlines. This is going to disproportionately hit people who have saved miles for years for that big family trip to the islands where miles gets them there and then they get local tickets to island hop. These are generally the less sophisticated travelers anyway regarding arcane airline rules so the least likely to understand while booking things, even via a TA. This will be really great for the Hawaii Tourism folks - I can't wait to see the human interest stories that get written on the mainland about families that get screwed by this.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:53 am

It's a long commute but somebody has to do it...

Originally Posted by LIH Prem

Your case is even more complicated because it's an international itinerary which are governed by different rules.

With location "EWR"?

-David
Two homes. Believe it, or not, I actually commute between EWR and OGG (it almost takes about as long as driving on the garden-st.ate parkway).
I normally take the UA EWR-HNL nonstop with the HA inter-island hop. But, just today booked UA RT all the way (EWR-SFO-OGG). Sorry, HA, but you lost me with this one...
Old May 17, 2012, 10:56 am

With location "EWR"?

-David
Just looked at your location. Makawao! I'm just around the corner off Kokomo in Ha'iku. But, sadly, in Newark today. Miss the trade winds and my lychee...
Old May 17, 2012, 1:17 pm

Unhappy International Connections?

Is this a risk is for those who must connect with international carriers in HNL (HA has a large number of foreign visitors)? Will HA bear any responsibility for bags that they don't interline and miss an international connection?

I've used SW (which also doesn't interline bags) for some short mainland hops - always on its own PNR. But, I prefer a mainstream carrier whenever I need to make an international connection -- precisely because I can't risk having a mishandled bag remain on a SW carousel for the duration of an international journey.
Old May 18, 2012, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by misdirected baggage
Just looked at your location. Makawao! I'm just around the corner off Kokomo in Ha'iku. But, sadly, in Newark today. Miss the trade winds and my lychee...
And in the mid 80's, I lived in Fair Haven, NJ.

-David
Old May 21, 2012, 5:53 pm

Go! Mukulele as one alternative?

With HA's upcoming changes to their interline baggage policy, I'm thinking Go! Mukulele's inter-island flights just became a lot more attractive. I know they have a pretty awful reputation, but I just called and confirmed they have an interline agreement in place with Delta (and probably others). I think I may take my chances with Go! Mukulele if it means I don't have to go to the ridiculous length of re-checking my bags with HA to catch an inter-island flight. Any reason this might be a bad decision?
Old May 22, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Originally Posted by TrojanFan
With HA's upcoming changes to their interline baggage policy, I'm thinking Go! Mukulele's inter-island flights just became a lot more attractive. . . . Any reason this might be a bad decision?
Hmmm. Where do I begin? Crappy planes, surly staff, far fewer flight time options, poor reliability record, sub-par terminal area at HNL, and a history of unethical business practices pretty much rule them out for me. And yes, I have actually flown them and experienced their service, if you want to call it that.

I think a broad based email campaign against HA's new policy is the only way to go, but HA has not been a consumer friendly outfit for some time now, so they may not listen.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:26 am

And in the mid 80's, I lived in Fair Haven, NJ.

-David
Well, it's tropical storm season already and EWR has flight delays out the wazoo because of low visability, fog and clouds. I'll take ogg any day. What's with the BKK link? Great place if you have wits about you!
Old May 22, 2012, 12:15 pm

Just to clarify: If I fly DEN-OGG on UA and return OGG-HNL (HA) then HNL-DEN (UA) on the same PNR, then the DOT baggage rule applies to all flights and HA will not collect a baggage fee since UA was the marketing carrier and since I am Gold with UA, they waive the baggage fee. Also all baggages will be checked through to the final destination.

Am I understanding this correctly?
Old May 22, 2012, 1:20 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
... history of unethical business practices
And that's an understatement.

pretty much rule them out for me. And yes, I have actually flown them and experienced their service, if you want to call it that.
Ditto here.

I think a broad based email campaign against HA's new policy is the only way to go, but HA has not been a consumer friendly outfit for some time now, so they may not listen.
So very different than back in 2004 when an HNL-based HA staff member (in a department that HA later closed ) was assigned to me when moving by airline business to them.
Old May 22, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by BETA
Just to clarify: If I fly DEN-OGG on UA and return OGG-HNL (HA) then HNL-DEN (UA) on the same PNR, then the DOT baggage rule applies to all flights and HA will not collect a baggage fee since UA was the marketing carrier and since I am Gold with UA, they waive the baggage fee. Also all baggages will be checked through to the final destination.

Am I understanding this correctly?
In theory.

Unfortunately, HA may try to charge you $17 for the OGG-HNL portion of your itinerary (unless you have status with HA as well). Buried at the bottom of UA's "checked baggage fees" page is the following:
"When a customer travels on a codeshare flight or on an aircraft operated by a Star Alliance member airline, then the policy regarding checked bags follows the rules determined by the originating operating carrier."
For the return portion of your itinerary, so HA would be considered "the originating operating carrier", so it's fees and policies would apply. However, HA's "Bag Fees and Policies" page presents somewhat contradictory information:
"For reservations connecting with other airlines, the baggage fees and rules of the first marketing carrier applies throughout the itinerary. For example, if you are traveling roundtrip from Honolulu, Hawaii to Austin, Texas, and connecting from Hawaiian Airlines to United Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines baggage fees and rules would apply both ways."
Since your itinerary is on the same PNR, your bags will be checked through to the final destination; however, whether or not you pay a baggage fee for HA's OGG-HNL of it is pretty much up to the discretion of the HA agent (and their supervisor). Airlines and their employees aren't really clear on the differences among a "marketing carrier", an "operating carrier", and a "most significant carrier" and which airline's baggage policies and fee schedule should prevail in codeshare/interline situations.
Old May 22, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
It might be more effective to complain to the DOT in addition to HA. Here's a link to the DOT's online "Air Travel Complaint/Comment" form...
http://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.