Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Questions About Inter-Island Cessna Caravan Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM

Anyone have any experience with the Cessna Caravans that are used by the airlines to shuttle between islands. Will be traveling KOA to OGG and can book 717 on HA but I would like to get an earlier flight which is on a Cessna Caravan. Ive read the baggage restrictions and that shouldnt be a problem, but how about carry on storage. Also, with the big windows and low cruising altitude, will it be a better scenic trip that the 717. Any thoghts will be appreciated. Oh and BTW, it will be on GO! airlines (yea, I know....) so any comments are appreciated.

I posted it here since much travel on HA is now codeshare with Delta, but mods feel free to move this if appropriate.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Very noisy, but you'll get a decent view for sure. Not quite as comfortable as your normal airliner.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Probably better asked in the HA forum, but...I can't remember the carrry situation (I thought it was minimal), but the ride can definitely be much bumpier than on the 717. If you really don't like a bumpy flight through potentially unstable tropical air, stick with the jet. I personally prefer the 717, but I know folks who take the Cessna all the time.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Carry on space minimal, as stated, but its a ton of fun and views are great.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:25 pm

I have almost 1000 flights in a Cessna Caravan - but on most of them I have jumped out and not landed with the plane They use Caravans a lot in Central America, and for short hope, they are perfectly adequate, fly lower with much nicer scenic views, and are a very safe and stable aircraft. However, when flying an airline Caravan, I still itch to open the door and jump out.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM
Originally Posted by edstroup
However, when flying an airline Caravan, I still itch to open the door and jump out.
I believe that is frowned upon, Mr. Cooper....

Last edited by Denal1; Dec 9, 2011 at 3:40 pm
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
A while back I flew on Pacific Wings which flies Cessna Caravans. They hub in Kahului, Maui and flights included a stop in Hana. The flight up the coast was great sightseeing.

There might be a limitation on baggage but I couldn't find any reference on their website.

Jim
Old Dec 10, 2011, 1:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by jimquan
A while back I flew on Pacific Wings which flies Cessna Caravans. They hub in Kahului, Maui and flights included a stop in Hana. The flight up the coast was great sightseeing.

There might be a limitation on baggage but I couldn't find any reference on their website.

Jim
Well caravans and smaller are used a ton in Alaska and are a good form of transport to smaller cities- I mention this as much freight (most) is flown into these smaller cities- and the capacity can be quite small. They tend to fold down seats to make room and throw a net over the cargo & luggage. One potential issue is your bags may not make your flight, but with less cargo it shouldn't be a huge issue, unless all the other pax bring steamer trunks too.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this Thread in the Hawaii-based Airlines Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:19 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by edstroup
I have almost 1000 flights in a Cessna Caravan - but on most of them I have jumped out and not landed with the plane They use Caravans a lot in Central America, and for short hope, they are perfectly adequate, fly lower with much nicer scenic views, and are a very safe and stable aircraft. However, when flying an airline Caravan, I still itch to open the door and jump out.
edstroup:

Welcome to Flyertalk!

I have not been on a Cessna Caravan however, I have been on other, more elegant looking Cessnas like the 402, which used to operate for OKAir and Royal Hawaiian Air Service. Speaking of Cessnas and jumping out, are these Caravans operated by Go! pressurized?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.