FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines-447/)
-   -   Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card 2 x 35K offers [ARCHIVES] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines/1276790-hawaiian-airlines-credit-card-2-x-35k-offers-archives.html)

8fingeredflyer Dec 21, 2011 9:14 am

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 17640651)
Got both of these on 11/11. First statements closed 12/14 and 12/15. 36000 miles x2 (bonus plus spend) posted to my Hawaiian account within a day of closing. No sight of annual fees in first statement.

POSTED DATE | ACTIVITY DATE | DESCRIPTION | MILEAGE | BONUS MILEAGE | TOTAL MILEAGE
12/16/11 12/15/11 BOA Usage Miles 35000 0 35000
12/16/11 12/15/11 BOA Purchase Miles 1000 0 1000
12/15/11 12/14/11 BOH Usage Miles 35000 0 35000
12/15/11 12/14/11 BOH Purchase Miles 1000 0 1000

Did you cancel them yet? Let us know what happens!

birdseye Dec 21, 2011 9:42 am

Originally Posted by teammjs (Post 17642247)
So, what are the practical effects of cancelling the card before you get the annual fee, but if all the miles have already posted?

The annual fee posted on my first statement, before all the miles posted.

Closing a credit card right after receiving a bonus will hurt your credit score (it brings your average age of accounts down) and it will damage your relationship with the card issuer (they may blacklist you, and refuse to give you credit in the future, if they see you cancel right after receiving a bonus). Plus there is the rumor that card companies have occasionally "clawed back" the miles when someone cancelled a card after less than 6 months.

If you don't want to pay an annual fee, pick a different card.

IncaFlyer Dec 21, 2011 11:24 am

Has anyone used the "share miles" feature on Hawaiian Air? It looks like a free shared account within the family, so I could sign up for 4 cards at once and then just combine the miles into one account with 140,000 to spend.

http://www.hawaiianair.com/HawaiianMiles/share-miles

Thoughts, experiences?

Windward Side of Life Dec 21, 2011 11:53 am

Originally Posted by IncaFlyer (Post 17668699)
Has anyone used the "share miles" feature on Hawaiian Air? It looks like a free shared account within the family, so I could sign up for 4 cards at once and then just combine the miles into one account with 140,000 to spend.

http://www.hawaiianair.com/HawaiianMiles/share-miles

Thoughts, experiences?

I've used it frequently and it's one of the greatest benefits of the card IMO. I think it's even worth keeping the card simply to have the benefit if you have a few family members/friends (doesn't have to be a relative) who accrue HA miles and are willing to give them to you.

It's not a shared account, each person accrues miles in their individual account. But you are able to then transfer the miles into the account of someone who is a card-holder. The party transferring miles to the card-holder does not need to be a card-holder himself, a nice aspect for those that have a relative/friend that makes one trip on HA and thinks they have no use for HA miles. The transfers post immediately and a card-holder can have miles transferred into their account up to 10 times a year. It's a great way to consolidate balances.

sargenet Dec 22, 2011 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life (Post 17668949)
I've used it frequently and it's one of the greatest benefits of the card IMO. I think it's even worth keeping the card simply to have the benefit if you have a few family members/friends (doesn't have to be a relative) who accrue HA miles and are willing to give them to you.

I agree. My husband and I got the card and we had other family members transfer their minimal miles to use from some interisland flights. Plus they signed up for the "twitter" bonus of 500 and sent those to us too! Normally we don't fly Hawaiian except for interisland flights but with the sign up bonus we got from 2 cards and some Membership Rewards points we are using Hawaiian to get to and from Hawaii from the west coast.....and Southwest miles to get to the west coast.

I just transfered miles for the first time from 2 accounts and it was easy and immediate!

TakeMeAnywhere114 Dec 23, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi there, can one person get both of these Hawaiian Airlines cards at one time, or only one at a time? And then if my husband gets them too, can we have 4 between the two of us? My credit scores are good.

philemer Dec 23, 2011 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by TakeMeAnywhere114 (Post 17683698)
Hi there, can one person get both of these Hawaiian Airlines cards at one time, or only one at a time? And then if my husband gets them too, can we have 4 between the two of us? My credit scores are good.

Welcome to FT! Review the posts on the first page. I think it is possible. :)

filelover Dec 24, 2011 6:01 pm

Yes you can get both cards. I did that for me and my spouse. Plan to combine the miles into one account and then transfer to Hilton.

Will add up to a nice 280K Hhonors points

Originally Posted by TakeMeAnywhere114 (Post 17683698)

TakeMeAnywhere114 Dec 25, 2011 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by filelover (Post 17687552)
Yes you can get both cards. I did that for me and my spouse. Plan to combine the miles into one account and then transfer to Hilton.

Will add up to a nice 280K Hhonors points

Thanks so much. Does anyone happen to know how long I have to wait after buying a house to get a credit card? I applied for the loan on 11/8/11 and that's when they checked my credit report. Then we closed on the house on 12/9/11 and I don't know if they checked my credit report again (but I will find out when I check my report in the next few days). Do I just wait 30 days after the last inquiry on my report? Or 60 days? Or does it even matter? Thanks for any input. I am happy to read articles if someone can point me in the right direction.

sajjushah Dec 29, 2011 2:00 pm

Am I reading something wrong? The BOA application page says that 35K miles is enough for a round trip ticket from the US to Hawaii, but the mileage redemption page for Hawaiian Air says that is is 20K each way, for a total of 40K.

Am I reading something wrong?

Windward Side of Life Dec 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by sajjushah (Post 17711627)
Am I reading something wrong? The BOA application page says that 35K miles is enough for a round trip ticket from the US to Hawaii, but the mileage redemption page for Hawaiian Air says that is is 20K each way, for a total of 40K.

Am I reading something wrong?

If you are a cardholder you will have access to discounted, saver awards (when avail) that price out at 17.5K OW thus a total of 35K for RT.

Just another reason to get and keep a card, assuming one flys HA.

World-Wide Dec 30, 2011 12:31 am

Has there been a better offer for those CC's before? Also if the annual fee does not hit until the 2nd month can you transfer the miles into HH points, and then cancel it before the fee hits? Has anyone tried doing that?

sajjushah Dec 30, 2011 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life (Post 17712550)
If you are a cardholder you will have access to discounted, saver awards (when avail) that price out at 17.5K OW thus a total of 35K for RT.

Just another reason to get and keep a card, assuming one flys HA.

I see. Well I just read the post that mentions HA miles on Virgin, so I applied for the BOH card for myseld and my wife, now we will get 70K miles each, enough for Africa!

Thanks for all of your help.

bangkokiscool Jan 2, 2012 2:32 pm

I started off the new year with a round of apps (UA Explorer, Barclays US Airways, and these two Hawaiian cards). I was approved on the BOA version and received a pending decision on the BOH version with a phone number to call for an expedited decision. Before I could copy or print the screen the website automatically reloaded and I lost it!

Anyone have a reconsideration number for BOH?

TakeMeAnywhere114 Jan 2, 2012 9:23 pm

I just applied for the Bank of Hawaii card as well. Here is the number from the last page 888-503-6090. I also applied for the Bank of America Hawaiian card and the phone number is the same.