FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines-447/)
-   -   Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card 2 x 35K offers [ARCHIVES] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines/1276790-hawaiian-airlines-credit-card-2-x-35k-offers-archives.html)

UA Fan Nov 5, 2011 9:41 pm

Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card 2 x 35K offers [ARCHIVES]

MODERATOR'S NOTE ADDED on 1 July 2013

There are almost 900 posts in this thread as of this writing.
IF you find dead links or other posts that have no-longer-accurate information, I will do my best to update those posts if possible.

Please use the "Alert a Moderator" button on the post; other methods of communicating aren't nearly as helpful since the AMP button sends a link to the problematic post in a handy way.

Thank you.

cblaisd
Co-Moderator, Hawai`i-based Airlines forum

https://www.boh.com/personal/banking...t-cards/29.asp

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...000|2072169|6U

mosu84 Nov 5, 2011 10:01 pm

Am I missing something? Aren't these the standard offers for these cards?

andysiz Nov 5, 2011 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by mosu84 (Post 17399336)
Am I missing something? Aren't these the standard offers for these cards?

The links that were posted before for the two cards went dead recently.

mosu84 Nov 5, 2011 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by andysiz (Post 17399386)
The links that were posted before for the two cards went dead recently.

Gotcha.

birdseye Nov 5, 2011 10:40 pm

I'm having trouble getting my bonus on the B of A Hawaiian card. I received 20,000 miles after the first purchase and only 5,000 miles after meeting the minimum spend ($1,000 in 4 months, easily done). 4 secure messages later, and I still haven't gotten a straight answer about my missing 10,000 miles; they say my bonus will post in 4-8 weeks, so why did part of it post? I'll have to call on Monday, I've been putting it off because I hate making calls.

ChrisFlyer66 Nov 5, 2011 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by birdseye (Post 17399440)
I'm having trouble getting my bonus on the B of A Hawaiian card. I received 20,000 miles after the first purchase and only 5,000 miles after meeting the minimum spend ($1,000 in 4 months, easily done). 4 secure messages later, and I still haven't gotten a straight answer about my missing 10,000 miles; they say my bonus will post in 4-8 weeks, so why did part of it post? I'll have to call on Monday, I've been putting it off because I hate making calls.

Maybe just wait 4-8 weeks to see if the rest posts?

sun_aa Nov 5, 2011 10:45 pm

Here's another link for the BofA card: https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCa...ntry?sc=UABLVF

ThePointsCollector Nov 6, 2011 9:59 am

is 35K enough for RT from any US destination?

sun_aa Nov 6, 2011 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian (Post 17401313)
is 35K enough for RT from any US destination?

Hawaiian's award chart

Partner airlines award chart

84fiero Nov 6, 2011 12:47 pm

On the HA website, the advertisement for the two cards states "For Hawaii Residents" under the Bank of Hawaii offer. However the landing page posted above doesn't list any residency restrictions in the T&Cs, though perhaps I missed it. Do any non-HI residents have experience getting approved for the B of H card?

andysiz Nov 6, 2011 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 17402054)
On the HA website, the advertisement for the two cards states "For Hawaii Residents" under the Bank of Hawaii offer. However the landing page posted above doesn't list any residency restrictions in the T&Cs, though perhaps I missed it. Do any non-HI residents have experience getting approved for the B of H card?

I just got approved a couple of days ago. I do not live in Hawaii.

ThePointsCollector Nov 6, 2011 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by sun_aa (Post 17401613)

Thanks.
Looks like they only fly from west coast and I will have to buy another ticket to fly there first and then use miles to Hawaii.

thetravelabstract Nov 6, 2011 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian (Post 17402356)
Thanks.
Looks like they only fly from west coast and I will have to buy another ticket to fly there first and then use miles to Hawaii.

If you do not see the value in the HawaiinMiles a good alternative that some people use is the 1:2 conversion to Hilton Honors points. So if you get both 35k HawaiinMiles to 70k HHonors Points you will net a total of 140k HHonors Points.

UA Fan Nov 6, 2011 5:55 pm

Does anyone know how good HA availability is, especially to SYD? And if one can mix HA and partner flights or partner with partner?

tassojunior Nov 6, 2011 6:32 pm

Only flying from west coast and no big partners makes HA miles pretty useless to me. I could have gotten this card in my last app-o-rama but passed. Not worth the fee except for Hilton points.

One example of how chintzy HA is- HA charges 15K for a rt inter-island flight on HA. Virgin Atlantic charges 6K for a rt inter-island on HA.

honu Nov 7, 2011 2:26 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 17403346)
Does anyone know how good HA availability is, especially to SYD? And if one can mix HA and partner flights or partner with partner?

I'm not sure how the mix'n'match works (if at all), but I can tell you that availability to/from SYD is pretty bad. Sometimes there are some low awards close to departure, but generally availability is not very good.

drbobguy Nov 7, 2011 6:06 am

Originally Posted by thetravelabstract (Post 17403235)
If you do not see the value in the HawaiinMiles a good alternative that some people use is the 1:2 conversion to Hilton Honors points. So if you get both 35k HawaiinMiles to 70k HHonors Points you will net a total of 140k HHonors Points.

Keep in mind Hhonors points are usually valued at about 0.5 cpm so 140k Hhonors points isn't equivalent to airline miles in terms of value. Still the 1:2 transfer ratio means even after the transfer you have arguably about the same amount of value, which is somewhat rare for transfers (SPG is also good except to UA/CO)

N_Phoenix Nov 7, 2011 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior (Post 17403493)
One example of how chintzy HA is- HA charges 15K for a rt inter-island flight on HA. Virgin Atlantic charges 6K for a rt inter-island on HA.

Thanks, didn't know about Virgin Atlantic. Continental is 5k.

ejh25 Nov 9, 2011 8:27 pm

Both at the same time?

I'm interested in these cards for building a base of HHonors points. Should I do both at the same time (i.e. singup for one, erase cookies and do the other)?

I'm not in a rush btw.

Thanks.

birdseye Nov 9, 2011 8:38 pm

This is second hand experience, but I have read on this forum that if you apply for both Hawaiian cards the same day:
1) The company will call to verify that you did intend to apply for both
2) Both will most likely be approved
3) The inquiries will be combined into one inquiry on your credit report
4) You will get both bonuses

elmedico27 Nov 9, 2011 9:48 pm

I applied for both cards on the same day -- BoA one was approved within a week, but got a pretty quick letter from FIA letting me know that my BoH app was denied (they gave me literally half dozen reasons why, I think they just listed everything they could think of haha). Anyway, called the FIA reconsideration number and after a disconnect and a few re-routings, I was hooked up with a supervisor. I answered a few standard questions including why I wanted both and, boom, went from denied to approved and got "the highest credit limit possible on the card" (5k, not sure if they were yanking my chain on it being the highest). I haven't looked at my credit report since the apps, but I did both on the same day (no need to clear cookies or switch browsers) and am hoping that I just get one pull since that seems to be the consensus around here. Now to see if all 70k miles show up quickly once I hit spend.

P.S. The Hawaiian Airlines mall/shopping portal has some pretty good miles/$ offers with common stores, including Amazon and Walmart. If you're planning on transferring to Hilton, you have to do it in chunks of 5k miles. With minimum spend ($1000 on each card at 1 mile per), you'll be roughly ~3k away from another block to transfer. You might be able to make up some of that by spending through the shopping portal. And, unlike Chase, you don't even have to use an HA card. I got 2mi per dollar on a Walmart purchase that went on my HH Amex before I even had the HA cards.

kdoughboy Nov 9, 2011 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior (Post 17403493)
Only flying from west coast and no big partners makes HA miles pretty useless to me. I could have gotten this card in my last app-o-rama but passed. Not worth the fee except for Hilton points.

There is still some value in the miles even if you don't live on the west coast. For example, you can use 50k miles for a Virgin Atlantic flight North America to Europe, or 70k NA to anywhere else they fly. That's pretty good for a round-trip ticket, even if it's in coach.

ejh25 Nov 10, 2011 1:41 pm

This is all helpful info. Thanks everyone. My Credit Karma is showing 788 and 801 and I haven't done any apps for a 2-3 months. I may wait another month or so before I pull the trigger but this seems like a good approach. I have no credit outstanding with BoA so I don't think it will be an issue.

I'll post back when I apply.

jgstecker Nov 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by elmedico27 (Post 17423555)
I applied for both cards on the same day -- BoA one was approved within a week, but got a pretty quick letter from FIA letting me know that my BoH app was denied (they gave me literally half dozen reasons why, I think they just listed everything they could think of haha). Anyway, called the FIA reconsideration number and after a disconnect and a few re-routings, I was hooked up with a supervisor. I answered a few standard questions including why I wanted both and, boom, went from denied to approved and got "the highest credit limit possible on the card" (5k, not sure if they were yanking my chain on it being the highest). I haven't looked at my credit report since the apps, but I did both on the same day (no need to clear cookies or switch browsers) and am hoping that I just get one pull since that seems to be the consensus around here. Now to see if all 70k miles show up quickly once I hit spend.

Sounds like you may have been approved for BofH's Platinum version of the card. That card has a $5,000 maximum and only comes with 10,000 miles up front with a $50 annual fee. You might want to verify that before you try to meet the $1k spend requirement.

ma91pmh Nov 10, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks UA Fan for the OP. I put in for these two as part of a small app-o-rama yesterday (did the Chase Southwest personal and biz and Barclays AirTran too) and got approved for both (had to do reconsideration line for the BoH one but no problems). That's a nice and easy 140k HHonors for me.

ArizonaGuy Nov 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Just FYI. I mentioned this elsewhere but thought it relevant to add.

In late Sept I applied for the Bank of Hawaii card only. Not instantly approved. Saw the Experian pull that day via TrueCredit. I figured it would be denied eventually, as I like many others have a lot of Experian pulls.

I get a letter two weeks later saying I'm approved based on my Equifax credit score - which they printed on the letter.

To this day there has been no FIA Card Services pull from Equifax, only Experian. The only Equifax pulls in 2 years are for Capital One from last February's 100K match bonanza. But FIA did give me my accurate Equifax score. I'm stumped.

rendezvous Nov 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Data point:

I applied for the BOH card in mid-October and received the "we'll let you know in 30 days", so I assumed to got denied. However, today, I received my card and verified the 35k bonus.

I did not apply for the BOA card

carwag25 Nov 10, 2011 8:32 pm

I applied for the BoA card and BoH card on the same day in October by the same BoA rep who also confirmed that it was 20K miles for first purchase, and 15K miles for $1K spend. I met the spend and the statement closed for the BoA card a few days ago and noticed on my Hawaiian Airlines account that only 25K miles posted. In calling them up, they could not locate the offer for 35K miles and are currently investigating the matter.
The statement for the BoH card has not yet closed, but I suspect I will have the same problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

birdseye Nov 11, 2011 1:34 pm

Yes, I had the same problem. I met the minimum spend and only received 25k miles instead of 35k. I've sent 4 secure messages and keep form letter responses that my bonus will post in 6-8 weeks.

MJLouise Nov 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by kdoughboy (Post 17423822)
There is still some value in the miles even if you don't live on the west coast. For example, you can use 50k miles for a Virgin Atlantic flight North America to Europe, or 70k NA to anywhere else they fly. That's pretty good for a round-trip ticket, even if it's in coach.

Do you have to pay fuel surcharges? If you redeem Virgin Atlantic miles on Virgin Atlantic, I believe there are large fuel surcharges.

Yagle Nov 15, 2011 2:44 am

Originally Posted by carwag25 (Post 17429584)
I applied for the BoA card and BoH card on the same day in October by the same BoA rep who also confirmed that it was 20K miles for first purchase, and 15K miles for $1K spend. I met the spend and the statement closed for the BoA card a few days ago and noticed on my Hawaiian Airlines account that only 25K miles posted. In calling them up, they could not locate the offer for 35K miles and are currently investigating the matter.
The statement for the BoH card has not yet closed, but I suspect I will have the same problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

Same here, only received 25k instead of 35k. I've called in a couple times and the FIA (who manages the BoH card) reps told me to wait it out... My BoA card hasn't closed yet, but I think I'll run into the same problem with it..

opus2002 Nov 15, 2011 12:48 pm

How easy is it to use Hawaiian mile on Delta? How is the award availability?

ArizonaGuy Nov 15, 2011 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Yagle (Post 17452410)
Same here, only received 25k instead of 35k. I've called in a couple times and the FIA (who manages the BoH card) reps told me to wait it out... My BoA card hasn't closed yet, but I think I'll run into the same problem with it..

I've called FIA a couple of times. They clearly know I'm eligible and have met the requirements for 20K initial use and 15K for $1000 in charges). They're stumped when I ask what math system used makes that equal 25K. Allegedly it has been escalated.

My second statement will close in a week and will have the annual fee on it. If it doesn't also have the missing 10K miles I'm calling back again, hoping to escalate while remaining on the line. I don't want to pay an annual fee when they've not held up their end of the bargain.

thebestman36 Nov 16, 2011 7:01 am

Originally Posted by opus2002 (Post 17455170)
How easy is it to use Hawaiian mile on Delta? How is the award availability?

I believe you have to call in to use. I tried earlier this year, and it led me to believe the availability of tickets is nearly zilch. I tried looking for 3 diff flights, over a 3 month period. They had nothing available on all 3 over a 3 month period, 6 months out. I have 0ver 100,000 points with them now and was hoping to use them with delta, but now just hope that they will at some point in the future add another partner where I can use the points.

rookie10 Nov 16, 2011 7:16 am

Wife applied for both cards and received 2 separate credit pulls. One application (BOA) came back that it is under review. Next day got a call to speak with a representative. They ended up denying app b/c of our mortgage payment. Her credit score over 760, but when she applied she entered under housing that she owns and listed our montly mortgage. My wife is not responsible for the mortgage nor is it under her name. She works part time and uses that income as discretionary spending. In any event, called recon line and they wanted me to consign her card but that would mean a credit pull for me as well, so told them no thanks. Called again and another rep indicated if she applied again without adding the mortgage info she should be good. So put thru another 2 applications and received one response via email letting us know that her application was denied. I did ask if they could remove the mortgage info from her original application but was told no. Long story short 3 pulls and no credit card:mad:. Worse case scenario I was hoping for a max 2 pulls. Just thought I would share my experiences.

booyaa Nov 16, 2011 10:00 am

Originally Posted by thebestman36 (Post 17459958)
I believe you have to call in to use. I tried earlier this year, and it led me to believe the availability of tickets is nearly zilch. I tried looking for 3 diff flights, over a 3 month period. They had nothing available on all 3 over a 3 month period, 6 months out. I have 0ver 100,000 points with them now and was hoping to use them with delta, but now just hope that they will at some point in the future add another partner where I can use the points.

How about the new NYC-HNL routing as posted today by Ben at One Mile at a Time? Or Hilton HHonors at 1:2 ratio?

milesmuncher Nov 16, 2011 11:36 am

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 17461078)
How about the new NYC-HNL routing as posted today by Ben at One Mile at a Time? Or Hilton HHonors at 1:2 ratio?

NYC-HNL routing makes Hawaiian miles MUCH more attractive to this FlyerTalker!

kdoughboy Nov 16, 2011 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by milesmuncher (Post 17461744)
NYC-HNL routing makes Hawaiian miles MUCH more attractive to this FlyerTalker!

I have a feeling this announcement will change many peoples' opinions on these offers.

carwag25 Nov 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy (Post 17457820)
My second statement will close in a week and will have the annual fee on it. If it doesn't also have the missing 10K miles I'm calling back again, hoping to escalate while remaining on the line. I don't want to pay an annual fee when they've not held up their end of the bargain.

Let us know whether you get the extra 10K after statement close and/or how the call goes.

thebestman36 Nov 16, 2011 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 17461078)

The nyc-hnl route certainly should be a plus for many. Unfortunately our flights are for 3-4 month winter vacation stays and Hawaii is just too expensive for us to winter vacation there. The hilton points also of no use since we book apartments for our stays at much more reasonable prices. But crossing fingers for something we can use. I was originally planning on using with delta, but seems unlikely.