Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Australia's Strategic Airlines launching Hawaii routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia's Strategic Airlines launching Hawaii routes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles
http://www.flystrategic.com.au/

http://airlineroute.net/2011/08/12/vc-hnl-dec11/

Apparently 2x weekly Brisbane-Honolulu and 2x weekly Melbourne-Honolulu.

Hawaiian and all the other domestic carriers are about to get a bunch of LCC connections to the Mainland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Airlines

Jan. 2012 Melbourne-Honolulu going to 4x weekly from 2x it is rumoured.

Very interesting.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 28, 2011 at 4:31 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Thanks for that news!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:18 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by willzzz88
Jan. 2012 Melbourne-Honolulu going to 4x weekly from 2x it is rumoured.

Very interesting.
Indeed, it is! Seems like Strategic Airlines began as a charter carrier and is now expanding into the regularly scheduled airline business with new international traffic.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 3:58 am

According to schedules listed on the website, BNE HNL and MEL HNL will go 3 weekly from 25MAR12.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
I have been looking at fares on HA and JQ for April 2012 ex SYD and they are ridiculous, upwards of $1500 on some travel days. Strategic Airlines costs $940 (without seat assignment) for my travel dates ^.

Unfortunately they are charging $170 for seat assignment and its not clear if they serve meals etc.

Anyway, lets hope their entry into the marketplace will put some pressure on the JetStar and HA fares (in the downward trend) .
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
I have been looking at fares on HA and JQ for April 2012 ex SYD and they are ridiculous, upwards of $1500 on some travel days. Strategic Airlines costs $940 (without seat assignment) for my travel dates ^.

Unfortunately they are charging $170 for seat assignment and its not clear if they serve meals etc.

Anyway, lets hope their entry into the marketplace will put some pressure on the JetStar and HA fares (in the downward trend) .
There was an article in Airways Magazine a couple of months ago on Strategic and they consider themselves to be a full service airline, so I would assume they have full meal service on this route. They fly a couple of A-330's.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by jeffhacker
There was an article in Airways Magazine a couple of months ago on Strategic and they consider themselves to be a full service airline, so I would assume they have full meal service on this route. They fly a couple of A-330's.
The A330: the preferred long haul cattle car of charter airlines worldwide.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by jeffhacker
Thanks for the info

I ended up booking with HA for my next trip but hope to try Strategic at some point.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Downunder girl

They call themselves full service and say they include meals.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Was in Hawaii this week and saw (heard) a ton of Australian tourists, many more than in previous years. All of the new flights are definitely helping tourism -- particularly since the US carriers have downgraded aircraft on the Hawaii routes over the years.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:21 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Just FYI - Air Australia/Strategic have gone bust!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: QF, UA, DL, AB
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Just FYI - Air Australia/Strategic have gone bust!
I saw a Strategic 330 parked on the apron here in ZRH last Saturday and was wondering why it was there... Here I am with the answer.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:18 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Yep, they strandred pax and even their own staff (who appear the be paid much less than is legislated in Australia). The whole scenario sounds dreadful:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/hopes...220-1tjof.html

http://www.smh.com.au/business/custo...217-1tcxv.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.