Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HA Tidbits in Latest Hana Hou Issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, National EC Executive, UA & AAdvantage

There is some interesting HA tidbits and articles in the Oct/Nov (80th Anniversary issue) Hana Hou inflight mag.

In addition to the customary anniversary congratulatory ads filling the issue, there is an article overviewing how HA is doing now, an interview article with Dunkerley, an article about the Bellanca restoration, and an article about the naming of the upcoming A332 fleet.

I found the article about the naming of the A332 fleet the most interesting. HA looked to celestial navigation of the ancient Polynesian navigators as inspiration for the names of the A332 ships coming into the fleet. The upcoming 9 A332 will have the following Hawaiian names (the western name/constellation in paranthesis):
A332 #1 Makalii (Pleiades)
A332 #2 Hokulea (Arcturus)
A332 #3 Iwakelii (Cassiopeia)
A332 #4 Heiheionakeiki (Orion)
A332 #5 Hanaiakamalama (the Southern Cross)
A332 #6 Hokupaa (Polaris, the "North Star")
A332 #7 Kealiiokonaikalewa (Canopus)
A332 #8 Namahoe (Gemini)
A332 #9 Nahiku (the Big Dipper)

The article highlights the cultural/traditional significance to HA and the Hawaiian culture for choosing each name for the A332s.

I also noticed a quarter page congratulatory ad from Weber Aircraft. I guess you can deduct that Weber is the manufacturer chosen for the A332 HA seats.

So, if you are an HA diehard...go grab your 80th anniversary issue of Hana Hou and see you in the skies aboard HA.^
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
I'm not HA accessible right now due to my current location. I'll try to view the magazine online, if it's available.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:48 pm

Mahalo for sharing this. Very interesting. Though I picked up many bits and pieces of Hawaiian vocabulary growing up, I never learned any of the stars' names in Hawaiian (well, other than Hokulea of course).

Hokupa`a (firm / fixed star) for Polaris.. cracks me up. So sensible.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by HA/UA_Flyer
I found the article about the naming of the A332 fleet the most interesting. HA looked to celestial navigation of the ancient Polynesian navigators as inspiration for the names of the A332 ships coming into the fleet. The upcoming 9 A332 will have the following Hawaiian names (the western name/constellation in paranthesis):
A332 #1 Makalii (Pleiades)
A332 #2 Hokulea (Arcturus)
A332 #3 Iwakelii (Cassiopeia)
A332 #4 Heiheionakeiki (Orion)
A332 #5 Hanaiakamalama (the Southern Cross)
A332 #6 Hokupaa (Polaris, the "North Star")
A332 #7 Kealiiokonaikalewa (Canopus)
A332 #8 Namahoe (Gemini)
A332 #9 Nahiku (the Big Dipper)

The article highlights the cultural/traditional significance to HA and the Hawaiian culture for choosing each name for the A332s.
I'm an HA diehard (inter-island, anyway) and interested in astronomy - I knew a few of the Hawaiian names, but not all of them - so I give this two thumbs up, and wish I had more thumbs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.