Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon Planning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Yes.
Honeymoon Planning

(NOTE TO MODERATOR: I am not sure if this belongs here, so feel free to move as you see fit. Thanks!)

Hi Gang,

I really appreciate all of the wisdom (translate miles) that I have garnered from this forum. I hope that you can help me with a few details of the honeymoon planning.

My fiance and I are to be married on 8/4/12. We would like to head off to paradise for a couple weeks late on 8/5 or early 8/6. We both need to be back in SAN no later than 8/19. This past year we have been to Dominican Rep, Thailand, Laus, Vietnam, Nicaragua. We have been to Europe a bunch and I used to live in Costa Rica, so we're thinking the south pacific/indian ocean (not Tahiti).

Our leading contenders are:
1. Bali
2. Mauritius
3. Suggestions???

As it stands now, I have 250K BA, 160K AA, 45k AS miles. She has a measly 80k AA. We both have 35K *wood, but no other hotels points.

I just checked and see that there is availability on CX from LAX. But before we begin booking that I wanted to see if you guys had any other thoughts on the trip. Are there any obvious details I am overlooking? Are there any other places we should consider? Ideally we want to do as much as possible on miles/points.

Thank you in advance!!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
search honeymoon in travel buzz, get more than you can read....further along in the travel forums there is lots of discussion on destinations....

for the award discussion, you are there....
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: One Star 'n Sky
Originally Posted by econjon
I hope that you can help me with a few details of the honeymoon planning.

My fiance and I are to be married on 8/4/12.

As it stands now, I have 250K BA, 160K AA, 45k AS miles. She has a measly 80k AA. We both have 35K *wood, but no other hotels points.
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials, econjon!

My first suggestion is to consider increasing your mileage balances by participating in shopping promotions currently being offered by United and US Airways. This would allow you to include US, UA and/or other Star Alliance flights to your honeymoon.

US Airways promo is called "Grand Slam 2011".

We have an entire forum just for that discussion here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/2011-...promotion-684/

If you are US residents - you will be able to earn ~120,000 miles for under $600 each.

United Airlines promo is called "Months Of Miles".

If you have an account with UA, go to united.com/monthsofmiles,
enter your UA# and password -- it will tell if you are eligible to participate or not. If you are - visit this thread for details on how to play: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ths-miles.html
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the rec Clacko. I forgot about searching travelbuzz. I've just spent some time there and am now considering Seychelles as well. Unfortunately Tahiti is not an option for us (personal issue), so a lot of the French Poly convo's aren't useful. It's too bad that the reports are so old.

@Skyvillager, United tells me I am not elegible. Darn. Also, I am planning on participating in the grand slam event, but I think I need to book flights ASAP, so might not earn those points in time.

One other question: Should I go ahead and book the CX flights to DPS and eat the change/remiburse fees if necessary? I really would hate to lose out on the award seats.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:33 pm
In Memoriam

re booking now....i've seen many posts asking if more seats will be released, because there were there 2 days ago and are gone now....the redeposit fees can be considered travel insurance, w/o much rationalization...good luck...

edit to add....any availability starts showing ~ 330 days out [may vary slightly w/al]...so its 2 weeks or so before you can book the outbound, assuming 1 way awards....

Last edited by clacko; Aug 31, 2011 at 8:02 pm
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Would it be prudent to book as two separate one ways? Or would there be greater cost to cancel if doing so?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:08 pm
In Memoriam

Would it be prudent to book as two separate one ways? Or would there be greater cost to cancel if doing so?
look at the edit i posted a second before your post....i suspect the fees are per award....if you have the mi on other programs, after booking the 1st, you may have more choices for the return....

btw, you are looking for j or f?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

we plan on flying biz class (j?) I have enough BA miles to for us to fly RT. Strangely I just booked the outbound flight on BAEC website, but cannot book the return since it does not show up. However, it does show up on Qantas search. And of course the award booking office is closed. Any way around this??? I'm starting to get nervous!

Edit: I just saw your edit, but why would the return show up on qantas??
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:28 am
In Memoriam

we plan on flying biz class (j?) I have enough BA miles to for us to fly RT. Strangely I just booked the outbound flight on BAEC website, but cannot book the return since it does not show up. However, it does show up on Qantas search. And of course the award booking office is closed. Any way around this??? I'm starting to get nervous!

Edit: I just saw your edit, but why would the return show up on qantas??
i think that qf opens awards for qf members a month or so prior to other programs....good luck...
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:35 am

heyii... Bali is a beautiful place. I have been there i mean it's a heaven. IF both of you are interested in enjoying your honeymoon in the lap of nature. It's the best place to do so. I am sure you will have great fun. All the best

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.