Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Changes to SYD Mardigras for 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QC Silver/OW Ruby

New Mardigras have announced some rather interesting/controversial changes to the program for next year which may impact your plans. There seems to be about a 30/70 for and against splitting the parade and the party based on comments to the Sydney Star Observer...

Email sent 20 May by New Mardi Gras
Today we're pleased to announce the key dates for Mardi Gras 2010.

Launch/Fair Day - 21st February
Parade & Parade Night Event - 27th February
Harbour ‘10 - 28th February
Party - 6th March

Following the success of last year’s launch we will again use Fair Day to kick off two weeks packed with the very best gay & lesbian arts and cultural events you will anywhere in the world. The quality of our semi-curated festival has improved significantly in each of the last few years and we promise to pack an even bigger punch this time round.

Mardi Gras Parade will take place on the 27th February in the usual place and with the theme ‘Mardi Gras’ History of the World’. This year Parade won’t mean just the start of a big night for Sydney, but instead a big week of parties and events that will run all the way to the closing Mardi Gras Party on 6th March.

The first of these will be a parade night event which we will announce in the coming months. The following day you are invited to join us for the perfect recovery at Harbour ’10 in the Royal Botanic Gardens. In the days that follow we will have a packed programme of daytime and night-time events right across the city, from the beach to harbour and from concert hall to dancefloor.

We are excited about this new format and believe we can deliver an even better Mardi Gras in 2010.
Old May 28, 2009, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Plat
Hmmm.. We are arriving on the 26th and was hoping to go to both the party and parade. Perhaps this will just mean the bars will be more fun.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
Well, maybe I'll add Toy Box back in next year (heard it was really good this year, but I didn't go since I was in the parade and opted to rest up for Homesexual) and hit the Harbour Party the prior week. They asked NMG members if they wanted a "members only" party after the parade. *shrug*

Last edited by Wireless; May 29, 2009 at 3:23 am Reason: posted to the wrong thread, but meant to weigh in here anyway
Old May 31, 2009, 7:46 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Hi

I'm a Foundation Member of Mardi Gras and I think these changes are fantastic.

The party originally came about as the police wanted the parade attendee's to go somewhere - so they were off the streets.

If you volunteer as a Parade Official, or are a Parade Participant, if you go to the party - you are exhausted early. (I don't take chemicals).

So this new look Mardi Gras will be fantastic, be able to do the Parade, go for a drink or two afterwards, (maybe the members only function), then go to the Harbour the next arvo, and the big party the week later.

Makes it hard for visitors - but if you flying all the way to Australia - 8 days in Sydney should not be a hardship.

You can always fly away on the sunday or monday and come back Sat arvo for the party if you need to fill in some time , or make the most use of it.

Just remember the success of the Mardi Gras party and Sleaze Ball (Oct) are what finance the parade.

Adam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.