Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas Bars - visitors discriminated!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Las Vegas Bars - visitors discriminated!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTS), VA nothing, DL Skymiles
Las Vegas Bars - visitors discriminated?

Hey,

Will be in Las Vegas Saturday, Sunday and Monday evenings. What's the lowdown on bars there?

Any with beer/liquor busts on those nights for out-of-town (read international) visitors ?

Have heard a lot of bars in Las Vegas have cover charges for anyone who show a non-Nevada licences as ID upon entry. Locals appear to get in most bars/clubs for free and can join in the beers/liquor busts, whereas visitors have to buy all drinks as well as being hit for a cover charge. Is this true???

Last edited by Gary; Mar 11, 2009 at 10:15 pm
Old Mar 11, 2009, 9:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
This is true, most covers are around 20 dollars.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
No-the cover(if there is one)is for visitor and local alike.
Of course some locals have "friends"who let them in for free.
But I have never been charged for having an out of state licence.

If you are there on a Sunday the beer bust at the country and western bar(forgetting the name-but some of the posters here will remember it )is the big event.It is pretty packed.
The bars in the "fruit loop"(Paradise road between Harmon and Tropicana)get busy late at night.
If you have a car swing by Get Booked next to the Buffalo("fruit loop")and pick up the local rags for that weeks doings.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:56 am

BGP, I have had a different experience, the Fruit Loop bars charged higher cover for non Nevada residents.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:24 am

If you like piano bars a new one just opened on Fremont Street downtown. It's DON'T TELL MAMA, by the original owners of the famed New York Theater District club. Sing-a-longs some nights. It's Broadway themed.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:39 am

I would never charge Travis a cover
And gets around thanks for the heads up.

Covers are a pain-and I usually get to a club early enough to avoid paying.

I am blessed to have friends who get me into places(when I go out)with out standing in line and rarely have to cough up a cover.It does still happen-but usually if I do go out it is with friends"on the list"which is great for a cheap ba@@@@d such as myself
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:56 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Avis First, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
If you are there on a Sunday the beer bust at the country and western bar(forgetting the name-but some of the posters here will remember it )is the big event.It is pretty packed.
It is Charlies - and this is definitely not to be missed! I am not usually a big fan of gay bars, but this one is a blast on Sunday, and as I recall - you will not recall anything from your time there... it is THAT much fun
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by COFlyerCLE
It is Charlies - and this is definitely not to be missed! I am not usually a big fan of gay bars, but this one is a blast on Sunday, and as I recall - you will not recall anything from your time there... it is THAT much fun
No you will NOT recall anything if you're not careful. They pour a STOUT drink there and have ridiculously low "happy hour" specials in the wee hours of the morning if you're around then....not that I ever was! LOL
Old Mar 14, 2009, 5:29 am
Former user name: laundrian

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
$20 cover charge for out of state residents is just too harsh. I hated it. I usually pay like $60 for cover a night while my friends got in for free.

It's all depend on who you know also.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by DFWFlyer2
No you will NOT recall anything if you're not careful. They pour a STOUT drink there and have ridiculously low "happy hour" specials in the wee hours of the morning if you're around then....not that I ever was! LOL
IMHO Charlies was just fine on a recent Sunday night pub crawl night out in Las Vegas with some FT friends.

Personally I would call the drinks that they served strong by any means but my alcohol tolerance level might be higher than someone elses though.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
When you barhop with Foady's fun dancer-friend (ie: local) you get the royal treatment, def no covers, and a few ropes/stanchion opened up.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:34 pm

I stand corrected

Had dinner last night in Las vegas(Texas de Brazil-fantastic!) and they told me that yes-it has become standard for dance clubs to charge higher admissions for out of towner-especially on weekends.
But that is a few clubs(Krave Piranha Gypsy)and not the regular bars.

After dinner we headed over to the new bar, Don't Tell Momma and had an enjoyable visit.This is a bar ONLY for those that enjoy piano/karaoke bars -others will probably be bored.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:53 pm

mmmm Texas De Brazil is delish!!!
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz #1 President's Circle, SPG Platinum
Yes many bars do charge a cover but waive that for locals. Some also waive the cover if you sign up for their SMS marketing and show the txt message, or a beer bust or the like.
The key is to go early if you want to save or pay cheaper cover, but beware you will be standing there by yourself.
Pirahna, 8 1/2 and Krave are not cheap places to go. If you get a VIP table with bottle service (min purchase) they also usually waive cover for a certain number depending on the level chosen.
This is simply Vegas, all the straight clubs on the strip do the same thing to make people want to go and think it's worth it. 20.00 is average cover for these clubs on a weekend.

There are places outside of the main area, like Charlies, the mentioned country bar. I've never paid a cover there and it's always busy early Thurs evenings (before everyone goes out to 8 1/2) and Sunday afternoons.
I would advise you to go pick up a local Q Vegas or similar as soon as you get there to look at what's going on each night.
The bars also have websites... such as they are
http://www.charlieslasvegas.com
http://www.8-1-2ultralounge.com
http://www.piranhalasvegas.com
http://www.kravelasvegas.com

hope you have fun in Vegas.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:46 pm

I enjoyed 8 1/2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.