Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

NYC GAYLA III - October 16-18, 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC GAYLA III - October 16-18, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Priceline Titanium
No, the week after.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, IHG Platinum, One Man Street Fair in my spare time
Originally Posted by FlyBalletGuy
No, the week after.
Yippee. Thanks for early notice. I very much hope to be in attendance.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Kindly save the date. Friday cocktails, Saturday dinner, Sunday brunch and culture and debauchery everywhere in between. Join us!

More to follow in the months ahead.
Ok I'm new to this section of this website... what kind of gala is this for?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Gayla is just our comic name for a get-together, in Flyertalk lingo, a "Do".
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Gayla is just our comic name for a get-together, in Flyertalk lingo, a "Do".
Ooooo sounds fun, I wanna come
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Everyone is welcome

I'll put substantive information up closer to the time; most people really make their plans and decisions about a month out. That said, if you can find a good cancelable hotel rate for that weekend, by all means do it. (I have no intention of changing the date, but as we have seen, the unforeseen does happen)
Old Dec 26, 2008, 4:26 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Those of you who are going and would like information on a Manhattan BRG/free hotel room for a night (or two if traveling with a companion), PM me.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Bumping this up so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. The real planning for this will begin around August; mark your calendars folks!

Until tomorrow April 3, 5pm Eastern Time, Quikbook is offering 25-30% off some boutique hotel reservations for that weekend. I don't see any killer deals but there are some fully cancelable rates under $200 a night (there are some prepay rates mixed in too, so look carefully)

See y'all in The Big Apple!
Old Apr 2, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
sheesh, every time I go to NYC, there's trouble...

like that's going to stop me from going back!

Don't count me in for any activities in the daylight hours, you guys get to drink longer out there...
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Bumping this up so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Juanefny
Ok I'm new to this section of this website... what kind of gala is this for?
It's for fags that fly.

Duh.

I have it in my calendar, but since I live here it's not the same as going to one outside of NYC.

I imagine the usual suspects will be in attendance.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Bumping this up so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. The real planning for this will begin around August; mark your calendars folks!

Until tomorrow April 3, 5pm Eastern Time, Quikbook is offering 25-30% off some boutique hotel reservations for that weekend. I don't see any killer deals but there are some fully cancelable rates under $200 a night (there are some prepay rates mixed in too, so look carefully)

See y'all in The Big Apple!
SPG has a few Cash and Points options available -- we've done some weird ones with this before, but I just put a W on hold since it was available. With the increased tax rates then every little bit you can reduce the base price of the room magnifies:
Effective March 1st, Increased Hotel Taxes

Effective March 1st, 2009, New York State legislation has increased hotel tax as follows: NYC room tax is 14.25%, Occupancy tax $2.00 USD, NY unit fee $1.50 USD, all per room/per night.
I figured after the tour we got last year of the W that I'd at least consider it for this year and when it popped up for Cash and Points I figured I could go ahead and book and cancel later if something went wrong. Does anyone have the manager's (Edward?) card and info? I didn't ask for it because I wasn't normally an SPG person and he only had a few cards. If someone can PM me his info I'd like to contact him and let him know if we're ultimately going to stay there since it would be completely because of his tour and the reception they did last year.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 9:36 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by pitbrian
I'm there... Wiredboy- you going to host another fab cocktail party?
Hmmm. You must be talking about the night I had several Flyertalkers at G while I was hosting a party for my networking group (www.outprofessionals.org). I like doing stuff there because I know the staff, but G can be polarizing. People either love the place or hate it. I'll give suggestions to FlyBalletGuy, but he'll make the decisions.

Let's go there one night when we're both in town!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:12 am
Original Poster

My goal on Friday night is choosing a place where we can talk comfortably - which G can be at off hours. We can move on to noisier and trendier places from there, but it's best to start relaxed.

I'll probably start considering locations in August-September and am open to suggestions. Almost everyone has been very happy with Pam Real Thai Encore for Saturday and I find Timmy extremely easy to work with, so I'm assuming we'll repeat that. Wiredboy - I just discovered Silom Thai in your neighborhood (the duck salad is amazing) but I am betting booking a group dinner in there on a Saturday night would be impossible.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 4:12 pm
In memoriam

Programs: United
g

You've got to realize that g is wiredboy's very own living room. He knows everyone worth knowing. Everyone knows him. Any friend (me) becomes a VIP even though he might show up only once a month or so.

I'm planning to attend more of the NYC events this year, and am trying to think of a bar/lounge where the group could mingle in a cocktail party atmosphere. g is just too small and noisy. Maybe one of those new places in the East Village? Never been to any of them.

One of the real drawbacks of the large dinners, shows, or bar hopping is that you get to converse only with the people in your immediate area. One of the nice things about Palm Springs this year was that there were ample opportunities for socializing with everyone in the group.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.