Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

OKTOBERFEST GAYLA 2009: Munich, Germany Sept 18-20 “Will Bavaria Ever Be The Same?”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OKTOBERFEST GAYLA 2009: Munich, Germany Sept 18-20 “Will Bavaria Ever Be The Same?”

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by ckc123
Do you still have room for me and one more for the Sound of music tour?
Just register for the 2pm tour on 9/21 here:
http://www.bobstours.com/som.php

They don't actually charge your credit card and you can cancel free of charge 48 up to 48 hours before. I'm sure if they get a bunch of bookings, they will add more vans.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 6:32 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

For those who are going to Salzburg - what are the train times that we're taking - buying in advance sometimes saves money on European trains.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 8:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Also can you not get like 5 people per ticket for the train?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:51 am

You can get a "Bavaria Ticket" for EUR28 that's valid for up to 5 people - it will cover you all the way to Salzburg & it includes all public transit in Munich. But, it's not valid before 9AM on weekdays, and you can only take IR trains or slower (but for Munich-Salzburg it's not a big deal).
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by peteropny
For those who are going to Salzburg - what are the train times that we're taking - buying in advance sometimes saves money on European trains.
I've been thinking about this, but it's hard to say. It all depends on how much fun I have on Sunday at the beer tent

If we're up for it, we're going early, so we get a few hours walking around the town and having a nice lunch before the 2 PM tour.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 2:53 pm

After fighting .bomb, I now have my flight booked. Looking forward!
Old Aug 22, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
After fighting .bomb, I now have my flight booked. Looking forward!
yay! it looks like the line-up is going to be a world series one!
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
The Final Details coming together

Howdy all,

We are confirmed into the Radhaus Keller right in Marienplatz for dinner on Friday night. I think it will be a great opportunity to taste some local flavors as a start to the weekend! Also, it's very near the gay area so we can go walk after dinner and taste some other local flavors!

I've almost confirmed up the dinner for Saturday night. I'll know in a few days.

I'll be sending out an RSVP PM to you all to let me know which events you will be attending.

I'm hoping to find a nice gay tour guide to take us all on a walking tour of the city center on Saturday at 10am. I'm following up on some leads. Grueling interviews will follow!

Now that we're just under a month away, you'll be seeing many more details!

See you soon!
Old Aug 25, 2009, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

RSVPs needed

Hello all YESes and MAYBEs,

Today I confirmed the Saturday night dinner at a great Indian restaurant in the gay area of Munich. I've eaten there many times and it a great place for us. So that wraps up the plans for food that weekend.

I will be PM'ing all the people on the YES list asking you to give a tentative RSVP for the Friday Night dinner, Saturday Walking City Tour and the Saturday Night Dinner.

Friday night is at the Ratskeller in Marienplatz. This is one of the most authentic German restaurants in Munich. You will order off the menu and pay individually. My guess is that you'll spend about 20 euros ($29) for the meal with a beer or two.

The Saturday Walking Tour will start at 10:00am and will last about 3 hours. The guide will be a professional guide and will show us the highlights of the center of Munich. I'm guessing the cost will be around 10 euros ($14) a person.

Saturday night is at the Palast der Winde Indian Restaurant. The cost will be $25 for the food and the drinks you will pay individually at the table. I will be forwarding information to you about prepaying this meal via Paypal.

I'm just looking for a head count at this point to give the restaurants and the guide an idea of how many people were talking about.

If you don't receive the PM in the next 24 hours, please contact me.

Then around September 6th, I will send out information on how to Paypal the Saturday Walking Tour and the Saturday Night Dinner.

I'll be setting up a website soon with all the address/details for the entire weekend.

I'm looking forward to having all of you here in this beautiful city.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Info on Sunday, Oktoberfest Tent Day!

I have been asked several questions about Sunday so here is the response:

Entrance to the Braurosl tent is free! There is no charge. We will be in line at 8am and they will probably let us in around 8:50am or so. The tent will fill up almost instantly. That's why it is IMPORTANT that you are in line with us at 8am or you may not get into the tent ALL DAY. Only the Braurosl is the gay tent so set your alarms early! If you arrive at the tent at 10am, there is a good possibility that you will never get in.

Once they open the doors, we will run to get six tables side by side. Each table will accomodate 10 people. I have about 5 non-Flyertalk friends coming from overseas and about 10 local friends joining us. This makes about 60 of us total. It should be lots of fun!

A Mass of beer (1 litre) will cost around 9.50 euros. They don't serve much variety of food. The roast chicken is amazing though. I don't remember how much it cost but maybe 9 euros too. They only accept cash inside so bring hard cash.

The bottom line is that the Sunday Braurosl's gay tent is VERY popular. I could had made a reservation but we would have only gotten the table for 4 hours and then we'd get kicked out. Only about 20% of the tables are for people with reservations. By arriving as they open the doors, we are guaranteed to get tables that we can keep all day. Last year, we left around 7pm. I think. It was a bit fuzzy by that time!

The good news is that you can wake up Saturday morning in most places in the world and decide to join us for the Sunday Gay Day. No reservations needed. You just need to be in line at 8am on Sunday to be sure to get in.

This entire weekend promises to give you memories that you will never forget!
Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:48 pm

Hola Guapo!

The plans you have put together and the whole weekend experience looks fab! Unfortunately I won't be able to make as I ended up getting on the TPE deal and had to take more days off that expected in early October.

I'm jealous about the whole experience and not being able to see you (and everyone else). I'm sure you'll put a fab gayla, so everyone please take lots of pics, I want to see/hear all about it

Enjoy y salud!!!
Old Aug 26, 2009, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JCinNYC
I won't be able to make it
JC, you will be missed by all!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Not sure how long it will last, but SPG is showing the Sheraton Westpark on Saturday night only for 139 Euros and that is club floor and you are able to cancel!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
I was looking at this as it's been a few years since I've been to Oktoberfest and this do sure sounded interesting. But once again work seems to have foiled my plans

Anyway, as I have no SPG points, I did look at the IHG options and I was quite surprised at this short notice that almost all of the Holiday Inns in Munich are showing points availability for this weekend (Holiday Inn is the best you'll get from IHG in MUC - there's no IC's or Crowne Plazas). This includes the HI Munich Centre where I've stayed before. Not as convenient as the 4 points, but it's not too much hassle on the U-bahn and the taxis were cheap enough last time I tried it.

Hopefully this will help a few more people make it.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by olafman
I have been asked several questions about Sunday so here is the response:
The good news is that you can wake up Saturday morning in most places in the world and decide to join us for the Sunday Gay Day. No reservations needed. You just need to be in line at 8am on Sunday to be sure to get in.

This entire weekend promises to give you memories that you will never forget!
is that the first communion service for that Sunday morning mass?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.