Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Note to Gay lodging owners-stop ripping us off!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia

I tried booking two different gay hotels in two different cities for two different dates.
Only reason I would stay in one of these places is because I am attending events held at these properties.
Both hotels had outrageously high rates for the events -ok I am not happy about that but I can live with it.
Both required minimum stays(2 nights).I just did not want to stay in these places let alone be blackmailed into staying two nights so I refused.
BTW-up to that point I had been dealing directly with the properties.

Just for giggles I tried Orbitz and Travelocity-sure enough both properties were avail(at the high rate-but available)for single night bookings via these third party booking engines.

I have been less than pleased with this in the past-but c'mon.

So I booked myself into four star(both of the gay places are 2 star at best)chain lodgings-one is the same price(but includes a really nice b'fast buffet for two) the other is $120 less per night than the gay place wanted for the same date.

Of course when these folks go out of business(and they will-it is a short life span)the owners will whine the "community did not support us"

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Nov 13, 2008 at 11:33 am
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA, VX, AA
I can understand the frustrations about higher prices and minimum stay requirements, but these issues are not unique to gay establishments. In the past when I've visited Palm Springs during special events or holidays, ALL hotels had the same requirements, and like you, I found that by going to a 3rd party (i.e. Orbitz or Expedia), I was able to book a single night. Recently a group of us booked 4 rooms in PS at a gay hotel with a cancellation policy requiring 7 days advance notice. A couple of days before our arrival, 2 of the rooms had to be canceled. The owners were gracious enough not to charge for the unoccupied rooms and additionally upgraded our 2 remaining rooms. As for breakfast, I have stayed at a number of hotels which offer complimentary breakfasts, and in many cases, the food was bad enough for me to walk away. Every hotel is different, so I try to evaluate any hotel (gay or not gay) by the service I receive.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 1:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Now B, you know that gays are shady lol!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
bigguy! Where is that discretionary gay disposable income we're supposed to have? Did you dispose of it already??

...but have to echo the same sentiments. "Gay owned and operated" can frequently be translated to "30% more because we're community and we're exclusive." Toss in clothing optional, and you can bump it up more.

good thing Kimpton is a gay chain...well as gay as they can be.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

I will join up with Kimpton in a skinny minute if they opened a property in Las Vegas and expand their presence in So Cal.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 98103
good thing Kimpton is a gay chain...well as gay as they can be.
Kimpton is a gay chain?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by malsf1
I can understand the frustrations about higher prices and minimum stay requirements, but these issues are not unique to gay establishments.
While I understand bigguy's frustration, trust me this is not unique to gay establishments, but more due to supply/demand.

You want to attend CES or NAB in Vegas; talk to the hand. Same with IBC in AMS.

They're considered 'citywide' events & the hotels can basically charge what they want due to the # of attendees.

Sometimes you can get better rates via the alternate booking sources (and on that I would say count your lucky stars & book it); other times they'll just refer you back to the org that blocked it all out & you're SOL.

Cheers.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
They are desperate in Las Vegas right now, the Palazzo is going for 119 a night! Even the Bellagio is offering buy 2 get the 3rd night for free.

oenophilist - Kimpton is based in San Francisco and is just very gay friendly. They are also women and "green" friendly as well lol!

I stayed at the Palomar in Westwood last month and had a very enjoyable stay.

Sorry way off topic.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Yeah-Vegas is cheap as long as there is no conventions in town.But they are taking advantage of conventioneers and hiking prices up to record highs when demand is high.

Trust me-no one goes to the gay resort in Las Vegas to have a luxury experience/relaxing stay

I contacted the host for both events and he was shocked at the high rates the host hotels were charging-but understandably did not want to step on toes.

I will be staying at NICE hotels and partying at the host hotels-they lost my gay dollars because of greed.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Hasn't the time passed most of these gay lodgings? I travel awful lot and normally don't pay any attention to "gay" lodgings per se.

All the major chains are so gay anyway nowadays.

Last edited by holtju2; Nov 14, 2008 at 10:27 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by holtju2
Hasn't the time passed mos of these gay lodgings? I travel awful lot and normally don't pay any attention to "gay" lodgings per se.

All the major chains are so gay anyway nowadays.
Amen to that. Time really has seemed to have passed by a lot of Gay establishments, not just lodging.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 7:47 am

I used to travel a lot and stayed almost exclusively in gay lodging. Not only were they welcoming places, but the represented good value for the dollar. And of course, many straight places looked at you strange if you asked for one bed for two people of the same sex.

Things have completely changed. I can't remember the last time I had any trouble at all at a straight establishment. And someone has gotten the idea that they can charge rediculous prices if they call the place gay. I pass on that kind of rip off and just go through regular booking channels and avoid the gay places. In my opinion, the gay places have killed themselves.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: UA BA, Starwwood, Hilton
I agree the "gay tax" at gay specific longings is annoying and increasingly easy to avoid at gay welcoming competitors . Lodge ownersl say it's because the cost to acquire new gay customers is higher (we are harder to find and our media less efficient).

My general experience is that the Gay B&Bs aren't keeping pace on quality. It's too bad for if they aren't as good and more expensive they will be a relic except for some of the few viable resort properties and they really can serve a purpose. (building up small gay owned businesses, building community, increasing positive experiences between out people and our straight neighbors etc.)
Old Nov 30, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL PM .313 MM & CRC, AA .453 MM, HH Silver, Priority Club, Fairmont President's Club
I'm going to Honolulu next week. I've stayed twice before at the only gay place on Waikiki, but it's two blocks off the beach. Their only "plus" is a gay clientele, but there's no pool, no grounds, no amenities other than a hot tub and a continental breakfast.
Their rates range from $159 to $199 during low season, and $215 to $255 during high season. This time, we got a room at the Park Shore Waikiki, just across the street from the beach, a short walk to Queen's Surf, for $88 per night, and $25 off that per night for using a MasterCard. Sure, it's nice to stay at a gay-owned place with a gay clientele, but if we're going to see all the guests at the beach, anyway, why stay there for twice the price?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: UA, VX, AA
Originally Posted by SpiritofEcstasy
I'm going to Honolulu next week. I've stayed twice before at the only gay place on Waikiki, but it's two blocks off the beach. Their only "plus" is a gay clientele, but there's no pool, no grounds, no amenities other than a hot tub and a continental breakfast.
Their rates range from $159 to $199 during low season, and $215 to $255 during high season. This time, we got a room at the Park Shore Waikiki, just across the street from the beach, a short walk to Queen's Surf, for $88 per night, and $25 off that per night for using a MasterCard. Sure, it's nice to stay at a gay-owned place with a gay clientele, but if we're going to see all the guests at the beach, anyway, why stay there for twice the price?
Last time we stayed at Hotel Renew and enjoyed it much more than at the gay hotel we previously stayed. It's around the corner from the gay place, doesn't have a pool, but the rooms and staff were much more welcoming and had a better continental breakfast. I've even seen their ad in some gay publications.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.