Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:22 pm

Programs: OnePass, JetBlue, SouthWorst, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton
If you're headed to Melbourne, try the Great Ocean Road. Not a lot of nightlife but beautiful. The 12 Apostles is where the "Pirate Movie" was filmed with Kristy McNichol and Christopher Atkins......it's driveable from Melbourne, if you are adventurous rent a cabin near Johanna Beach. Just make sure you shop for food BEFORE you head out because there aren't any 24 hour supermarkets as I found out, lol.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips and the links regarding NYE. We're going to try and get tickets for Midnight at the Oasis. We're staying at the Sheraton at the Park and it looks like an easy walk over to the Botanical Gardens.

Cheers!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm not really an expert because I've just been once, but I think your agenda sounds ambitious. I'd stick to Sydney, Melbourne, and one other place if I only had two weeks. Keep in mind that it takes TWO DAYS to get there. You leave on a Monday, you get there Wednesday morning. Of course, you get back about one hour after you boarded the plane in Australia, but still . . .

I can say that as a tourist I loved staying at the Travelodge on Wentworth. It gets some criticism on Tripadvisor, but I loved it. Rates are low, rooms are decent and stylish, and the location is awesome, just moments from Oxford St. There were lots of places to eat around, and if the bars aren't enough, it's just a few minutes walk from a sex club. I was glad I stayed there instead of the CBD--it felt much more Australian.

Melbourne reminded me a lot of San Francisco, but I didn't get into the gay scene there. I was attending a conference, so that's where my business was. But I did go to the Australian Open one day, and that was loads of fun (if you're a tennis fan at all). I'm not sure what the weather will be like in Sept.--that's the end of winter. You know they have penguins in southern Australia? That's how far south it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.