Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Who owns the bible in hotel rooms?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who owns the bible in hotel rooms?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: Priceline Titanium
OK folks, this is a stern warning.

Flyertalk is part of a larger community. That goes way outside the bounds.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I was staying in a hotel one time (I think the Phoenix Hotel in San Francisco) and instead of a Gideon Bible they had homilies of the Buddha or something like that. Some sutra or other. I liked that. I like the Buddha.

You should take a look at the Book of Mormon. They're usually illustrated and the stories are quite fanciful.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
I think it is better simply to trash the Bible or Book of Mormon or any other book of fairy tales one finds in one's hotel room. There is a reasonably chance it won't get replaced that fast.

Also a comment card to the effect that you find the provision of material offensive and a policy of not providing religious reading material in rooms would increase the likelihood of one's booking again.

Alternatively, the Sir Ian Mckellen technique is fun!
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:11 am

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
Originally Posted by mondo
BTW, for the fabulous among you...Marriott also owns Ritz Carlton.
And RC is/was the easiest-to-be-myself place that I have ever worked. Especially better than Country Cookin' in FVX! (sad but true)

I am not christian but recognize that the christian bible in all it's versions is one of the most widely read books on the planet. I think that if we do do something, doing it anonymously, like throwing it out the window, is just ignored. For example, at hotels I work in( RC and Hilton now), comment cards that do not have a name or room number are discarded without consideration. WE MUST SPEAK UP.

That being said, I just ignore it. I am not interested in having a prayer book from ANY religion in my drawers. Hmmmm... or my pants either I guess.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:25 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
Originally Posted by FlyBalletGuy
OK folks, this is a stern warning.

Flyertalk is part of a larger community. That goes way outside the bounds.
Thank you FlyBalletGuy. I am a gay mormon and I'm having a difficult time of it already without threads like this one. I feel the hate being directed both ways and whether it's coming from the Mormon side or the Gay side it is all hurtful.

Personal note:
Please don't flame me about my religion. I've heard it all already. I believe what I believe. The two sides of my life are in conflict, I'm aware, I'm hoping this will not always be. Please don't make it worse.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by dfotn
Personal note:
Please don't flame me about my religion. I've heard it all already. I believe what I believe. The two sides of my life are in conflict, I'm aware, I'm hoping this will not always be. Please don't make it worse.
This may be off-topic, but I guess I will dare.

I hope that dfotn is right.

I hope Mormons et al will stop attacking us, which means we will stop attacking them. Until then....may we all realise hatred is hatred.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
This may be off-topic, but I guess I will dare.

I hope that dfotn is right.

I hope Mormons et al will stop attacking us, which means we will stop attacking them. Until then....may we all realise hatred is hatred.
And may gay mormons and gay catholics realise that they cannot run with the hare and hunt with the hounds - choices have to be made.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 4:03 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
gay mormons

its a difficult road for someone with a faith.

i tried to be a Baptist when I was a teenager, when I was 18 and ready to come out the church was not ready to accept me. I made the decision that I was better being out and honest than sneaking out of some hot mans bed on a sunday morning and going to church, or doing the beats on the way to youth group.

As a result of that the church community stopped speaking to me, stopped phoning me etc.

While it annoyed me at the time, it showed me that I was worshipping with a community of judgemental people who did not share Christ's unconditional love for others.

This became a platform for the rest of my life.

I am who I am - and I am proud of me.

If I am rude - please tell me, if I offend you please tell me, it normally is not intentional.

However i find that i am best served by people who choose to be judgemental, that they are honest about it, so I can eliminate them from my life. Much better to sit at home alone than be out with people who do not love me unconditionally.

Good luck with balancing being a Mormon with you sexual identity.

My advice is find a more loving home for your faith. Maybe MCC or a church that supports your lifestyle.

Adam
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
Originally Posted by hsmall
And may gay mormons and gay catholics realise that they cannot run with the hare and hunt with the hounds - choices have to be made.
I wish it were as easy as choosing the hare or the hound. I have tried to rid my life of my gayness and then my faith in turn. I found that I was incomplete without both. So although they are often at odds with each other I keep the two sides of me. It's a paradoxical life, but there it is.

The Mormons believe in continuing revelation and sometimes there is change. I hope that someday the church changes its stance.

To get back on the topic of this thread, I think that any religious texts should be left in the room or given to staff. Defacing them seems wrong. An unread book is a benign inanimate object. I once found a book of Buddhist teachings in a hotel room and although I am not Buddhist I took the book and read it. Far from having a negative effect on me it broadened my thinking and increased my knowlege. If I found a Koran, I'd probably read that too. Religious texts can be twisted and changed to suit the zealot but that doesn't make the wisdom contained in them less wise. Reject the hating zealot, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by dfotn
I wish it were as easy as choosing the hare or the hound. I have tried to rid my life of my gayness and then my faith in turn. I found that I was incomplete without both. So although they are often at odds with each other I keep the two sides of me. It's a paradoxical life, but there it is.

The Mormons believe in continuing revelation and sometimes there is change. I hope that someday the church changes its stance.

To get back on the topic of this thread, I think that any religious texts should be left in the room or given to staff. Defacing them seems wrong. An unread book is a benign inanimate object. I once found a book of Buddhist teachings in a hotel room and although I am not Buddhist I took the book and read it. Far from having a negative effect on me it broadened my thinking and increased my knowlege. If I found a Koran, I'd probably read that too. Religious texts can be twisted and changed to suit the zealot but that doesn't make the wisdom contained in them less wise. Reject the hating zealot, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
I invite you to continue this in OMNI where we can have an entertaining and no holds barred discussion
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eyesofice
How petty of a question is this?
Evidently this was so important to you that it brought you to post your very first message on this site. Makes it quite a good question then. It's my pleasure to welcome you to FlyerTalk!
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:01 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Or just place a Prop 8 sticker inside. Knowing that possibly a gay person(s) slept in the same bed should provide some comfort to the LDS folk.

What a GREAT comment! LOL (-;

Fly More & Get A Better Seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.