Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

"Armageddon" -- Calif. Prop. 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)

The other side says they need $2 million to eliminate rights for same-sex couples.

Now national leaders on the other side are pulling out all the stops to bring a final tidal wave of attention and money before the election, calling Prop 8 "Armageddon" and "more important than the presidential election."

They have a $1 million match on their site right now. We have every reason to believe they’ll raise $2 million today alone. We must meet them dollar for dollar.

Their new deceptive ad uses children, whose parents did not give their consent, as a political tool. Watch a video of the parents demanding the ad be taken down.

Make a donation.

Forward this as email to ask your friends to contribute.

"Armageddon"

"More important than the presidential election"

That's what evangelical leader Charles W. Colson and Family Research Council President Tony Perkins said about Prop 8, calling it the "decisive last stand" in this morning's New York Times:

"California, they say, sets cultural trends for the rest of the country and even the world. If same-sex marriage is allowed to become entrenched there, they warn, there will be no going back."

So, they'll stop at nothing to provoke a final tidal wave of attention and money before the election.

Last week, they tried it with an ad that reaches a new low.

Their new, horrible, abusive ad uses unauthorized images of children without their parents' knowledge or consent. And they're proud of it. From their website:

"Our new ad gives us great hope."

"As strong as this new ad is, however, it won't be able to reverse our downward trend in the polls if voters only see it once for every two times that they see ads from our opponents. The future of traditional marriage remains in grave, grave danger. If we aren't successful in raising a minimum of $2 million more to supplement our advertising buy for next week, we will lose. The more we can raise above $2 million, the better our chances of prevailing will be. It is as simple as that."

By contrast, we are staying true to our core values and message: Prop 8 is wrong and unfair.

We cannot be lulled into thinking that voters will see through their transparent, dirty tactics. To defeat Prop 8, we need to give more and do more.

Their goal is to raise $2 million dollars in the next few days.

They have a $1 million match on their site right now. We have every reason to believe they'll raise $2 million today alone.

We need to match them dollar for dollar in this crucial final stretch. Donate today.

In solidarity,

Geoff Kors
Executive Committee Member
No On 8

¹ "A Line in the Sand for Same-Sex Marriage Foes", Laurie Goodstien, New York Times, October 26, 2008

Donate Today
Click to contribute

Invite your friends and relatives to join No On 8 today!
Tell-a-friend!

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for No On 8, Equality For All.

Last edited by anabolism; Nov 2, 2008 at 10:25 pm
Old Nov 5, 2008, 3:28 am
Former user name: laundrian

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
I am not sure if this is a right place for my to raise my voice, but how that Prop 8 passed in CA tonight??

I am a native New Yorker, but I lived in LA for two years. Frankly, I just don't understand. What did gay people in CA do today ? Did they all go out to vote? Anyway, next time... I just feel really bad for people who got married and those who want to get married. Now they could not...

Oh America, grow up already. Good thing Obama won the election, because if he did not, I swore I would leave EARTH.

Last edited by ArtfullyUrs; Nov 7, 2008 at 8:12 am Reason: No comments.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 5:48 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Quite simple.
The yes on 8 folks ran a stronger(not better) campaign.
While we played nice they played dirty.They ads played to the strong fears and prejudice held by even some of the "I have some gay friends"and the"not that there is anything wrong with that"crowd.
And If any of you saw the ads running on foreign language stations you would understand just how dirty these folks played.

We are a long way towards this goal IMO.And to be honest I think we should be aiming our gay dollars at our friends,rejecting the status quo instead of aspiring to it,celebrating our difference instead of looking to be a "me too"minority.

More Fabulousness is what is needed.Visability is key.Those closet cases that are terrified of their big secret being discovered-well your Mom has known since you were 12 and your Dad always kinda suspected-so get over your self.

This defeat now sets up tons of court cases.Let minds better than those of Joe and Marge sixpack decide on this.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 8:37 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

It's especially disheartening to see that most of the counties voted yes on 8 (including LA & Riverside counties). The only counties that voted no are the ones right around San Francisco.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 8:42 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Unfortunately, there is a reason that most rights that gays have gained in California and other states have come through the courts, and not the people. While California may be liberal in some areas, it still has major pockets of religious people. In addition, most minority groups are against gay rights... blacks and latinos in particular. So, while disappointing, it is really no surprise. Look at every gay vote in the country yesterday - every one lost.

It is truly sad... I had held out hope that Barack and Arnold speaking out against this would possibly lead to its failure.... but it looks like they had no coattails on this issue.

William
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:15 am

Well again, I was beyond angry last night. I couldn't follow it. It is a disappointment on my part. Even though, I don't believe in marriage ( gay or straight). I think that people should get whatever rights they deserve.

I really thought the "NO" side was pretty strong consider we had many supporter. I guess the Mormon really did their job, once again, proving that GOD really "wanted" this to happen.

I agreed with Wharvey that there are still many conservative pocket within the states and we can't fight them.

I just hope for the next generation, they will be smarter than their parents.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

This was not the election for gay issues....all of those issues favoring gays across the country lost.

Perhaps we should take a deep breath and be thankful for our good fortune that we just got Obama.

It was a gift to the nation. Times are changing.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:29 am

This thread was always a bit OT for GLBT but we allowed it to stand since it was speaking directly on a GLBT issue. However, please do not continue discussing the elections yesterday in general (President etc) in this thread. There are plenty of threads in the OMNI P/R forum that discuss those. Please confine discussions in this thread to CA Prop 8.

Also profanity (even edited) is not allowed anywhere on Flyertalk.

Thank you.

peteropny - moderator - GLBT

Last edited by peteropny; Nov 5, 2008 at 9:37 am
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:33 am

The Yes on 8 people were quite well funded. Doug Manchester who owns the Grand Hyatt and Marriott in San Diego as well as a resort property in the area contributed $150,000 (IIRC) to the Yes on 8 organization. This is the primary reason we won't ever stay at the GH in SAN again (along with a lot of service issues the last time we were there).
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:35 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by wharvey
Unfortunately, there is a reason that most rights that gays have gained in California and other states have come through the courts, and not the people. While California may be liberal in some areas, it still has major pockets of religious people. In addition, most minority groups are against gay rights... blacks and latinos in particular. So, while disappointing, it is really no surprise. Look at every gay vote in the country yesterday - every one lost.

It is truly sad... I had held out hope that Barack and Arnold speaking out against this would possibly lead to its failure.... but it looks like they had no coattails on this issue.

William
One of the worst ads I saw was on a Chines language station.
They showed graphics equating same sex marriage with bestiality,polygomy,and underage corruption.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:42 am

Well it's done. WE have to wait until next time. Does anyone know when Gay Right will be on the ballot again ? Is it every two years or every year? Let's fight people....

If the Canadian can do it, so could we....

Now, who is buying me a Bellini ??
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I posted this in Omni/PR but wasn't sure you all frequent Omni, so thought I'd post it here.

"SAN FRANCISCO - The San Francisco City Attorney's office says he plans to challenge the validity of a ballot measure that would change the state constitution to ban gay marriage.

Spokesman Matt Dorsey says City Attorney Dennis Herrera will file the legal challenge in the California Supreme Court if the measure passes.

With 95 percent of precincts reporting, Proposition 8 is leading with 52 percent of the vote. But there are still as many as 3 million ballots left to be counted.

The first lesbian couple to be married in Los Angeles County after the Supreme Court threw out the gay marriage ban also plans to announce a lawsuit against Proposition 8. Attorney Gloria Allred says that lawsuit will argue that the measure is unconstitutional."
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:19 am

The exit polls http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#CAI01p1 are fairly consistent with the way I expect people to vote except for the income demographics - those under $30k and over $150k were more likely to vote No than those between those two figures.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:50 am

Gay Republican

I have been a gay Republican for years and worked in politics for over a decade. I thought I had an answer for everything. This year, when I was in Sitges, I ran into a "former" American who now lived in Europe. I asked him why he did that.

He said that he refused to live in a country the continually treated him as second class.

I had no answer whatsoever. But it made this Republican cross party lines.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:54 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Warm thoughts to those of you in CA affected by this ballot. If it's any consolation, I'm not sure even civil partnerships would have got through a similar ballot in the UK. Give it time, this is a battle lost, not the war.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.