Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time in London

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

First time in London

I've traveled widely, but have never made it past LHR. Finally I'll be in London for 3 days in mid November, on my way to spend Thanksgiving with my nephew and his family in Stuttgart. Any suggestions for well located hotels and what I should try to do to get the flavor of London in 3 days. I'll be solo, and am not necessarily looking for the gay London experience (although a bit of that won't hurt), just a chance to experience one of the world's great cities. I'll be arriving on a Wed AM and leaving on Sat AM. Thanks.

GRF in DC
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:44 pm

Hi. I lived in London for 2.5 years so here's my tips:

* Try and stay in or near SoHo. Plenty of hotels are here

* Gayville, dare you venture there, has many bars/clubs in SoHo, though they're also scattered elsewhere (Vauxhall, for example)

* If you're into art and galleries, again it's SoHo where most of them are! Favourites for me were the National Portrait Gallery, and the Photographer's Gallery, all near Leicester Square

* Busaba Thai is great for a meal, and has bench seating. But gets very busy (as do most places). Again, SoHo, right near the gay pubs.

* Camden Market is always fun if you're there on a weekend. Take the Northern Line to Camden.

* Buckingham Palace is a bit "whatever" for me, but some get into it.

That's all I can think of for now. I might be in London in November so hassle me closer to the date! lol.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Hello GRF -

If you're on a budget, London is a good city to use Priceline or Hotwire. The tradeoff though is that the best bargains are usually not centrally located.

I second all the gallery/museum recommendations. I'm very fond of the National Gallery (right near the National Portrait Gallery - they are not the same)

Get oriented by taking long walks. London requires a map - If you get the AZ Visitor's Atlas & Guide to London it comes with recommended walks - the single day walk starts at Buckingham Palace and heads towards Whitehall and Westminster Abbey, etc. I finally went and saw the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace on my tenth trip to London. It was worth it just as choreography. Then I started my walk.

It isnt London for me without going to the Royal Opera House, but that's me.

If my finances hold out I may try and visit my relatives there for Thanksgiving as well.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:31 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Since the OP is asking for "general" recommendations and not really GLBT oriented ones, this thread is better served in the London Forum. However, he's already started one - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=837123 - Please note that cross-posting is not allowed on Flyertalk. As such, I'm locking this thread - please continue discussions in the the referenced thread.

peteropny - moderator - GLBT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.