Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

After 17 years together, we're getting hitched! Honeymoon ideas??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After 17 years together, we're getting hitched! Honeymoon ideas??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite, Avis First, Hertz PC
CONGRATS!!! CONGRATS!!!
Thanks so much for the update and the pictures and being a part of our shared history!!!
Old Jun 18, 2008, 1:41 pm

how's the wedding night, Carl? Who's taking whose last name? Mr & Mr...?Congrats !!
Old Jun 18, 2008, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SeaMeFly
how's the wedding night, Carl? Who's taking whose last name? Mr & Mr...?Congrats !!
When we adopted our son, we invented a new last name and both legally changed our name. We both put our maiden name as our middle name.

As for the wedding night, I'm a blushing bride.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:44 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
CONGRATS! Hope you enjoy many more happy years.

My partner's brother just got engaged to his girlfriend so my man is trying to convince me to beat 'em (seeing as we've been wearing our rings for three years now!).

Honeymoon? I'd go with a leisurely paced Italy trip with Amalfi, Rome, Tuscany, Milan finishing in Venice. ^ But you've probably got that sussed by now!

Last edited by SojournsOf; Jun 19, 2008 at 2:49 am
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:21 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
mazel tov

Mr and Mr Olafman - congrats and how exciting to be part of significant gay history.

Sitting here at work ( a police station) just after midnight on my break, with tears in my eyes - at the poignancy of your day.

My partner and I celebrate 15 years next month, and 5 years since our commitment ceremony on our 10th anniversay, BUT that is nothing to being legally wed.

Congrats and thanks for sharing with us.

Adam
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Congratulations!!!!!

We got married here in the UK after 12 years together.

We had a delayed honeymoon. We did a few nights after we got married at Cowley Manor in the Cotswolds. Then at spring half term, it was Club Europe to the Amalfi coast.

So, I'd vote for Italy and the Amalfi myself ^
Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Congratulations to everyone who is getting (or by now has gotten) married!

Regarding honeymoons, my suggestion is, wherever you go, upgrade as much as possible the flights and hotels -- make the trip a real treat.

Originally Posted by daniellam
Out of Topic:

Since there is a chance that gay marriage can get "banned" and "unbanned" again and again, would this mean that gay couples will have to keep getting "remarried" over and over again?

Would getting married in Canada mean that when gay marriage is "not banned" in California that it will automatically be recognized? (so no need to get married and then later get remarried)
As I understand it, one of the main advantages of legal marriage as opposed to civil unions, domestic partnerships, and all the other second-class statuses, is that if you get legally married anywhere, it will be recognized if and when it is legal in your state/country. My now-spouse and I decided last year to get married in Canada this summer, and even though it became legal in California, we still went with Canada, partly because it had been long-planned, but also because in Canada it is legal nationwide, and has been so long enough that it is no longer an issue. Also, should prop. 8 pass, our marriage will be unaffected (although California wouldn't recognize it).

Originally Posted by olafman
What I understand right now is that if we get married in June and then the constitution gets changed in November, then we are still married. They can't retroactively take our marriage away from us. It would simply mean that any FUTURE marriages would have to be between a man and a woman.
From what I've read, this is far from clear. On the one hand, there is a long-standing principle that laws not be retroactive, but on the other, the language of prop 8 says that same-sex marriages are not "valid or recognized" in California. So it's possible that pre-existing marriages won't be recognized in California any more, although perhaps a pre-existing marriage would be recognized in Canada, Spain, the Netherlands, New York, Massachusetts, and other states/countries where it becomes legal, even if no longer recognized in the state where it was performed. The only thing that is for certain is that, should prop 8 pass, there will be court cases to decide if it stands, and what it means.

It doesn't look like the religious right will be able to get enough to change the constitution.
Right now, it is looking better, but you never know. The polls are still too close for my liking, and some people may lie about how they will vote (as happened before with controversial propositions).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.