Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

After 17 years together, we're getting hitched! Honeymoon ideas??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After 17 years together, we're getting hitched! Honeymoon ideas??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by getsaround
Given where you're going to be living I'd have to agree--PARIS!!! Otherwise I would have said MARRAKECH.
Paris would be ab fab! Congrats, olafman! ^ (Marrakech is too, but for a different sort of vacation, lol)
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:01 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
How about Madagascar? Oh wait -- you said a childless trip.

I'll just add that I grew up in the hometown of Hooters, MYR. Having done that, I don't do beachy vacation trips often, but having lived in Germany last summer I really did miss the warmth and the beach. If you want to be a German in advance, do Palma de Mallorca with all of the other Germans on holiday.

I say you just throw a few darts at a map and then pick between those locations.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
We have a date and time!

We attended an informational meeting last night at the Gay and Lesbian Center in Los Angeles where we found out how the marriages will occur.

My dear friend, John Duran, the mayor of West Hollywood, explained that they ceremonies will begin at 9am on Tuesday, June 17.

So my partner and I will line up around 8am so that we can be one of the first to tie the knot in CA on this historic day.

John has asked that the crowd bring bells to ring exactly at 9am to celebrate this amazing moment.

We also had the option of going down to a county building in Norwalk but we decided that Weho was a much better option.

FOUR MORE DAYS OF BACHELORHOOD!
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
My thoughts and best wishes to the long-time, but now "newly"weds. I know tomorrow will be a very special day.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:56 am
In memoriam

Programs: United
Congratulations, guys! Here's to 17 more, and 17 after that. It'd be great to see a pic.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:43 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Congrats!!!!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:45 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Congratulations to the newlyweds.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:01 am

Congrats Carl, we want to see pictures!!!

Originally Posted by nroscoe
My thoughts and best wishes to the long-time, but now "newly"weds. I know tomorrow will be a very special day.

^
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:58 am

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
So 2pm now Eastern Time... Are you still in line? Or maybe...errrr... consummating the marriage??!? ^

The pics we want are, of course, only the wedding!

CONGRATULATIONS!

(p.s. Didn't have your address so pawned the silver set and will put the proceeds towards next year's gift swap.)
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
Best part of today, is knowing that olafman and mr. olafman, and olafman jr. are part of this all! Congrats boys!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:00 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Just spoke to one of the grooms. They were official as of 10 minutes ago, and have apparently been seen on CNN a few times this morning.

There was a slight delay as new certificates had to be created that didn't say "bride" on them.

Photo's have been promised.

Congrats!!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:03 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Woohoo! Mazel tov!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:08 pm

CAMP PALM SPRINGS

I would suggest Barcelona, but stay 30 minute train ride away in Sitges
Old Jun 18, 2008, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Just spoke to one of the grooms. They were official as of 10 minutes ago, and have apparently been seen on CNN a few times this morning.

There was a slight delay as new certificates had to be created that didn't say "bride" on them.

Photo's have been promised.

Congrats!!
Interesting piece on NPR over the weekend about who is placed first on the marriage certificate, etc.
Congrats to the Olafsmen!
Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Well, we did it!!

Here's a picture of the wedding party:
http://www.mrhaleyonline.com/weddingparty.jpg

We got into line at 7:15am and had about 30 people in front of us. It was lots of fun standing there talking to the media and laughing at the FOUR protesters. Corbin, my son, had fun making faces at them.

At 9:30am, they announced that the delay was due to the county's computers were still printing out licenses that said BRIDE and GROOM instead of PARTY A and PARTY B.

By 10:15am, the kinks were worked out and we were on our way to getting our license. I gave a nice interview to MSNBC during this time.

At 11:45am, we had the license and met up with our friend, John Duran, the mayor of West Hollywood who would be presiding over our ceremony. The city of West Hollywood had set up four tasteful gazebos for the ceremonies. We had about 8 invited guests, 10 friends we ran into there, and about 20 members of the media at the ceremony. John started crying soon after he began speaking. He has been one key people in getting marriage legal in CA. It was a beautiful moment for him and us.

We exchanged vows and rings. Then we all signed the Marriage Certificate with our son Corbin as the witness.

Considering that we approached the day thinking it was a basic civil ceremony, it turned out to be moving and emotional.

Thanks to everyone for your support and warm wishes.

Next step: defeating the proposed amendment to the CA constitution and legalizing marriage at the federal level.

Last edited by olafman; Jun 18, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.